Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R-C Fort Lauderdale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

R-C Fort Lauderdale

We're planning a FL trip end of next March, 2 adults + 2 toddlers.

The obvious choices are RC FLL, RC Naples (beach), RC Palm Beach, FS Palm Beach and The Breakers (omitting RC Biscayne due to risk of conferences and some negative comments on rooms).

The kids are too young to benefit from any of the kids clubs, so our choice comes down to good rooms, okay eating on-site and good pool and beach, with very little movement from the property.

Give or take a little, all of the above options score on our wish-list.

For some reason, the RC FLL is WAY cheaper on our dates - a 2-bedroom residential suite (with club access to what is apparently a great club) is approximately the same price as a premier room at the FS Palm Beach.

So, my question is, am I missing something here, and is the RC FL somehow not as great as the other hotels? I have read every thread on here, and all I can see is that (a) there is no beach service, (b) the pool gets shaded in the pm, (c) it is not "direct" beachfront, and so not a true "resort" hotel. But none of this appears to be a deal-breaker, and in fact many people comment on how lovely the property is.

We're open to suggestions if anyone thinks we'd be better off at one of the other properties.

Has anyone actually seen inside one of the residential suites at the RC FLL?

Finally, as a little curveball, I noticed that someone recommended the Loews Don Cesar, and it is apparently being refurbished by Feb next year. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
BM
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Was at the FS Palm Beach last week and had an excellent stay. Also spent a few days at the RC Palm Beach prior to the FS and liked the FS much better. I'll be posting a full trip report with pictures in the next day or two, so be sure to take a read. Have not been to the RC FLL so cannot comment on that property.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by ray1022
Was at the FS Palm Beach last week and had an excellent stay. Also spent a few days at the RC Palm Beach prior to the FS and liked the FS much better. I'll be posting a full trip report with pictures in the next day or two, so be sure to take a read. Have not been to the RC FLL so cannot comment on that property.
I've visited the RC FLL and seen both the residences and the rooms. I've also written a few trip reports on the FS Palm Beach in this forum. Between a suite at the RC with Club access and a room at the FS Palm Beach. I'd choose a room at the Four Seasons because I prefer the calm and quiet of the FS Palm Beach, the ability to walk straight from the pool area onto the sand, the far superior spa, and the lovely breakfast area that looks out at the ocean. The RC is much more of a city hotel stuck across the street from the beach. The RC is certainly a lovely hotel but compared to the FS, the FS provides a far better experience.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. The FS Palm Beach is a very attractive option...

Also just spotted that I forgot to include Aqualina....looks very attractive but not too much detail on here that I could find...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
I have stayed at all four hotels mentioned as I live in nearby Naples, Florida.

That said, here is how I would rank them

1. The Breakers
2. Ritz Carlton Fort Lauderdale
3. Four Seasons Palm Beach
4. Ritz Carlton Palm Beach

The Breakers no doubt blows them all away. Rooms are small no doubt, but everything else about it is world class, truly one of the resort palaces on the face of the earth!

RC Fort Lauderdale is across street from and on a very public beach. Despite, the rooms there are incredible and the art deco feel of the hotel is very unique. Both the FS and RC Palm Beach are just very routine FS and RC, nothing to write home about.

Finally, if for no other reason, the pool set up as well as food and beverage operation at the Breakers make it my number one choice.

Worldspan
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldspan
I have stayed at all four hotels mentioned as I live in nearby Naples, Florida.

That said, here is how I would rank them

1. The Breakers
2. Ritz Carlton Fort Lauderdale
3. Four Seasons Palm Beach
4. Ritz Carlton Palm Beach

The Breakers no doubt blows them all away. Rooms are small no doubt, but everything else about it is world class, truly one of the resort palaces on the face of the earth!

RC Fort Lauderdale is across street from and on a very public beach. Despite, the rooms there are incredible and the art deco feel of the hotel is very unique. Both the FS and RC Palm Beach are just very routine FS and RC, nothing to write home about.

Finally, if for no other reason, the pool set up as well as food and beverage operation at the Breakers make it my number one choice.

Worldspan
I'm also a regular at all of these (FS and RC-PB at least 10 times each, Breakers and RC-FLL twice each), but hold some different views.

In Palm Beach, I put the FS as tops (in the winter) and the RC and Breakers largely tied. The FS is the most intimate of the properties, and I have found to have the most consistent service and fewest corporate events.

The Breakers is old school; RC-PB is perhaps a speck too big. RC has a very nice club staff, but the club itself seems to face cutbacks every year.

The RC-FLL is the best qpr of these four properties by a mile. It is a different offering than the three palm beach properties - but it is in Lauderdale, versus Palm Beach. Inside the hotel, it is very nice, but when you step outside, you know you are not in palm beach. The rc-fll it is the newest, tallest, has the best (but most public) beach and has the best club offering perhaps of any RC in the continental US right now.

I've compared these properties at length in this forum. I'll pull up a link to those posts earlier this year.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Please read these prior posts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16650427-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16348951-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16369992-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16485110-post2.html

If you have your mind set on PB, go with the Four Seasons.

If the price difference is other than trivial, and you're looking for something a bit more hip (but not South Beach hip), go with RC-FLL.

Regardless of the property, be sure you book with Amex FHR or a fspp or RC-stars (as appropriate) agent to get free breakfast, upgrades, etc...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:14 pm

Finally, if you go FLL, and you like steak, check out Steak 954. It's two or so blocks north of the RC, in the W hotel. It is, without a doubt, one of the best steaks outside of NY that I've ever had. Not the sort of garbage you get in the chain places...this place was really something notable.

If you aren't into steak, check out the FLL restaurants and bars on Las Olas. It's a 10 minute drive or cab from the RC-FLL, but you'll find a surprisingly wide variety of good foods - and lively (but generally not too lively) bars.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional replies. NYBanker I had already avidly read all your posts, and they were very helpful, as is the recent Trip Report on the FS Palm Beach.

I think that we have narrowed the choice down to RC FLL and the FS PB, and price-wise the RC probably has it, although I like the FS PB environment and beach access a lot more. It's a tough choice, but not exactly a bad one to have to make!

We will let you know what we end up doing.

Thanks again for all the input.

BM
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:28 pm

I was in pretty much the same position as you are right now just a couple of weeks ago, and after looking into pretty much every hotel from Miami to Palm Beach, I ended up choosing FS Palm Beach. The three main reasons for picking FS Palm Beach was the quiet location, direct beach access and the fact that we wanted to feel pampered and spoiled for a week.

I can, however, total appreciate how you're feeling, it took many weeks before I made up my mind and settled on a hotel. I still have my doubts and pretty much not a day goes by without me almost changing my mind and splitting the 6 nights stay between more than one hotel (partially to increase the actual value of the FHR amenity).

I must say that it's a very privileged problem to have tho.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by hannisen
I was in pretty much the same position as you are right now just a couple of weeks ago, and after looking into pretty much every hotel from Miami to Palm Beach, I ended up choosing FS Palm Beach. The three main reasons for picking FS Palm Beach was the quiet location, direct beach access and the fact that we wanted to feel pampered and spoiled for a week.

I can, however, total appreciate how you're feeling, it took many weeks before I made up my mind and settled on a hotel. I still have my doubts and pretty much not a day goes by without me almost changing my mind and splitting the 6 nights stay between more than one hotel (partially to increase the actual value of the FHR amenity).

I must say that it's a very privileged problem to have tho.
Nice first post! Welcome to FT!
Old May 20, 2012, 9:30 pm

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Ft Lauderdale earlier this month. This was my second stay. Posted a visit report here.

Certainly tops in FLL, and one of the best QPRs in South Florida.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
And here is a recent write-up from Luxury Travel Advisor on this property:

http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/u...ort-lauderdale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:30 am

Got a stay with my GF tentatively booked for late October on this property. Would people still recommend this hotel if our primary concern is sightseeing rather than soaking on the beach?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Got a stay with my GF tentatively booked for late October on this property. Would people still recommend this hotel if our primary concern is sightseeing rather than soaking on the beach?
Most likely, yes. This hotel is pretty much tops in FLL.

Question to you...what sights are you hoping to see? (This may impact the answer as to suitability.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.