Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

San Miguel de Allende-Rosewood or Casa de Sierra Nevada? (Mexico)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Miguel de Allende-Rosewood or Casa de Sierra Nevada? (Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Member

I am another trying to sort this out between Belmond and Rosewood, considering a December stay, before Xmas. Why do I want to be close to jardin?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
I am another trying to sort this out between Belmond and Rosewood, considering a December stay, before Xmas. Why do I want to be close to jardin?
Have you researched SMA? The jardin is the heart of town.

I have written extensively on the two hotels in previous posts. Even though the Belmond ( this is it's third ownership change in as many years) is closer to the jardin ....I would stay at the Rosewood. It is the best hotel in town, gorgeous and a quick 5 minute walk to the jardin through picturesque colonial streets.

You can PM if you have other questions.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by KatW
I have followed David4455 advice last Feb. , he also recommemend a wonderful driver
Thank you again.......loved San Miguel!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Any recent updates on this? We think we are going to do a long weekend here in late March. We like to be close to the action. But also want a really nice hotel.

The city looks amazing.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Any recent updates on this? We think we are going to do a long weekend here in late March. We like to be close to the action. But also want a really nice hotel.

The city looks amazing.
We stayed at the Belmond last September, and if we ever went back, would only stay at the Rosewood. 1st, the Belmond has not gym so we ended up going to the Rosewood every day anyways. 2nd, the church bells are so loud and often that we slept terribly at the Belmond each night. Talking to other people at our wedding, they did not have this problem at the Rosewood. Also, the distance is about 5 blocks walking, so you are not sacrificing much in terms of location by being at the Rosewood.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:00 pm

The city looks amazing.
The Sierra Nevada is lovely ( we have a house right around the corner) but third on our list of recommended hotels for our guests. Rosewood 1st, , Matilda 2nd, ( not to everyone's tastes) and then the S.N.
If you have any questions about the town please feel free to ask or send me a PM.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by david55
The Sierra Nevada is lovely ( we have a house right around the corner) but third on our list of recommended hotels for our guests. Rosewood 1st, , Matilda 2nd, ( not to everyone's tastes) and then the S.N.
If you have any questions about the town please feel free to ask or send me a PM.
Thank you - it was Easter weekend we were looking at going, and based on my research, it sounds like it will be an absolute zoo. Is that an accurate assumption? We may just enjoy a quiet weekend in CDMX instead.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:51 pm

Thank you - it was Easter weekend we were looking at going, and based on my research, it sounds like it will be an absolute zoo. Is that an accurate assumption? We may just enjoy a quiet weekend in CDMX instead.

From someone who is quite jaded with regards to the right times to go to SMA.... Christmas, Easter, and most of September because of non-stop festivals are my least favorite times to go. As much as I love the spectacle and the festivals and traditions around these holidays.... so does EVERYONE else and the town is packed. Impossible to get into our favorite restaurants...and parking ( if you are foolish enough to have a car) forget it. The only other time I would suggest not going is the month of May. Hot and dry. Otherwise SMA is quite wonderful the other 11 months of the year ( excluding the crowded holidays I mentioned). Some of our favorite times: early to mid - December, January-March and August ( one of my favorite times..... great thunderstorms roll in mid afternoon for brief but theatrical displays and the desert is a bloom.

Note...that SMA has become a major weekend destination for wealthy Mexicans. Any weekend ( Fri-Sun) will be quite crowded..... but by Monday the crowds have thinned out and the town is yours.

( My husband and I have owned a home in SMA since 2005)
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by david55; Jan 17, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.