Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin choices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by limelight
(so, essentially: cheaper rooms + much of the club offering = upscale business hyatt, geared to that market and sold to that market. better rooms + suites + vox restaurant downstairs + health club = luxury property, sold to that market.)
actually, with hyatts, i've started to recognize a certain look, with the b-team. a request is made. the response: wide-eyed, uncertain, unsure what to do next, speaking quite quickly, deciding to be definite even if quite unsure. i've started to call it Doing The Headless Chicken. at its first appearance, i know to smile sweetly, draw things to a close, and talk to management instead.

so this is in many ways a contender... but unlike hotel du rome, it's got a bit of a split personality. with the right room, & the right plans, & a table at vox, & a swim up above berlin, it can be wonderful. (just avoid them headless chickens...)
Thanks for the great review limelight^

This is a bit off topic, but I have found other top Grand Hyatt properties similar in this regard. Grand Hyatt Tokyo essentially wears two hats, one as an upscale business hotel, and the other as a luxury hotel. With the top category (larger) club rooms and suites, it definitely operates in the luxury market segment and the experience is very different to that of staying in a lower category room.

Similarly the three Japanese restaurants, Shunbou, Keyakizaka, and Roku Roku (sushi) are considerably more high end than the hotels other, larger restaurants. Roku Roku Sushi is at the very top level of hotel sushi restaurants in Tokyo, which is unusual for a hotel managed by a foreign company.

And yes, some staff are better than others, but in my experience the Club Concierge is consistently excellent.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Any updates please on the better hotels?

How's the no- smoking situation at Brandenburger Hof , etc?
How's the pool?

Hilton??
Waldorf Astoria ?

Require good AC ; preferably free & decent wifi

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite

Waldorf Astoria Berlin was nice and I enjoyed my stay there last March (I had free breakfast, champagne on arrival and limousine pickup on arrival; can't recall if I had free WiFi). It's good if you want to be near Kurfürstendamm. The fact that the hotel is new was appealing in terms of the condition of the rooms and facilities. Service and hospitality were good but I think Hotel Adlon service has a slight edge.

Regent Berlin probably has the ideal location next to Gendarmenmarkt but I just don't find the room decor appealing.

Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong

Waldorf Astoria Berlin was nice and I enjoyed my stay there last March (I had free breakfast, champagne on arrival and limousine pickup on arrival; can't recall if I had free WiFi). It's good if you want to be near Kurfürstendamm. The fact that the hotel is new was appealing in terms of the condition of the rooms and facilities. Service and hospitality were good but I think Hotel Adlon service has a slight edge.

Regent Berlin probably has the ideal location next to Gendarmenmarkt but I just don't find the room decor appealing.

Hilton? I didn´t stay at this hotel, but you always can see tourist-busses in front.

The location of Adlon and Regent is not so different, it´s a maximum 5 Minute walk.

Waldorf is brand new and I didn´t stay so far. The location is great, if you wonna go shopping at the Kurfürstendamm or visit the zoo. Otherwise the location has a problem with riff-raff and you don´t feel very secure, especially at night.

Personalyl I think Adlon is over all the best hotel (sometimes tourists take a look, whats a problem in my eyes), even if I personally normally book the Ritz Carlton. I like the Potsdamer Platz location and the club (free with virtuoso). Last times I got an upgrade from a Bellevue Suite to a Grand Suite (in advance), which is a nice room. Regent is not my favourite, because the decor is a little bit dated, it lacks a pool and the breakfast is terrible. On the other hand they have guaranteed upgrades like Adlon, what´s a very good value if you book a Superior Suite and get a Deluxe Suite). I also like Rocco Forte De Rome, perfect location for the Museumsinsel and great breakfast.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:22 am

Thanks .. Seems like a dearth of hotels for this forum ( especially since I 'm writing from Amanjiwo - what one does jet lagging ! )
Perhaps RC - or ' new ' Marriott next door ??
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
or ' new ' Marriott next door ??
If you can stand looking on the RC
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks .. Seems like a dearth of hotels for this forum ( especially since I 'm writing from Amanjiwo - what one does jet lagging ! )
Perhaps RC - or ' new ' Marriott next door ??
Avoid the RC: the tackiest, gaudiest design in Berlin. Its breathtakingly ugly. The Adlon and the Hotel de Rome are the best options these days. I couldn't stand the original Waldorf and the new one looks like a Hilton.

The Regent has the best service but its such a pity how they haven't invested in renovating the hard product. It feels like a vintage FS; it used to be one as well.

Last edited by Blackbook; Aug 8, 2013 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackbook
The Regent has the best service
I wasn´t impressed by the service. It´s OK, but not over average 5* level. The dascription as Vintage-FS is exactly what it is. I wrote a review with the title: "Classical Four Seasons, that isn´t one"
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:20 am

Nobody has mentioned Soho House Berlin which is a really good hotel - OK not in the best part of town but a really original hotel with very kindly young staff, great food and some incredible suites. One of my favourites definitely. Otherwise, if you want something more traditional, then opt for Hotel de Rome.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Nobody has mentioned Soho House Berlin which is a really good hotel - OK not in the best part of town but a really original hotel with very kindly young staff, great food and some incredible suites. One of my favourites definitely. Otherwise, if you want something more traditional, then opt for Hotel de Rome.
Soho House is very special.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I wasn´t impressed by the service. It´s OK, but not over average 5* level. The dascription as Vintage-FS is exactly what it is. I wrote a review with the title: "Classical Four Seasons, that isn´t one"
I haven't stayed at the Regent in about 3 years so the service may have dropped off since the old GM left. At the time though, it was better than the Adlon and the De Rome.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackbook
I haven't stayed at the Regent in about 3 years so the service may have dropped off since the old GM left. At the time though, it was better than the Adlon and the De Rome.
Adlon really improved it´s service when I stayed last time. At stays before they had some problems.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Soho House is my favourite as well followed by Hotel de Rome and Grand Hyatt. Cannot comment on the AC (not needed when we were there), WiFi (have a German phone with flat rate for internet).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:08 pm

Thanks everyone , it will be Hotel de Rome.
Was hoping to check out their gallery hopping offer. But maybe a glitch due to the Berlin Art Weekend , we shall see.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Nobody has mentioned Soho House Berlin which is a really good hotel - OK not in the best part of town but a really original hotel with very kindly young staff, great food and some incredible suites.
Mitte, not the best part of Berlin?!

Berlin hotels already discussed here, and other numerous threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-not-best.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.