Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Bali/Yogyakarta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Thanks for the update, luxury !
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by zigzag
Have lunch over at Losari Coffee Plantation and Spa, ( ask how the food is since it has been sold) which is in a great location. They offer Jamu, which are local drinks made by healers that really work so if your adventureous....
Get in whilst you can. Losari will be turning into a Wellness Resort and only take bookings from people enrolled in their compulsory Wellness Programmes (min stay 3 nights).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by luxury
Construction noise at Amanusa currently is sporadic and consists largely of pneumatic drilling of which you can hear audibly as the winds shift. The Beach club is unaffected as are the evenings. No major complaints in the last 3 weeks. There should be even less noise at the end of the month going into August. This from Monty Brown, the GM.
This is really helpful information, thank you! I will be there in a little over a week and was debating switching over to Amandari, but I really wanted a place with a nice beach.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kethee
This is really helpful information, thank you! I will be there in a little over a week and was debating switching over to Amandari, but I really wanted a place with a nice beach.
We were at Amanusa a few weeks ago and there was some noise, but I wouldn't skip it on that basis. The beach club is wonderful and occupancy was quite low when we were there, so it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The noise was noticeable from the outdoor areas of our room, but otherwise it didn't bother me.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by bubb1
We were at Amanusa a few weeks ago and there was some noise, but I wouldn't skip it on that basis. The beach club is wonderful and occupancy was quite low when we were there, so it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The noise was noticeable from the outdoor areas of our room, but otherwise it didn't bother me.
Thanks for the info. I decided to stay with Amanusa after reading your and luxury's posts.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:51 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by kethee
Thanks for the info. I decided to stay with Amanusa after reading your and luxury's posts.
That 's good as I received the same info & you can't hear a thing from the beach You will ( more than ) enjoy your Aman time!
We 'll be there in a couple of weeks too.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
That 's good as I received the same info & you can't hear a thing from the beach You will ( more than ) enjoy your Aman time!
We 'll be there in a couple of weeks too.
I can't wait! This will be my first Aman experience.

Maybe we'll see you around!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Amanusa

Hey guys,

Just did 3 nights in Amanusa, now in Amandari. Surprisingly, I absolutely loved Amanusa and I think I like it the most out of the 3 Aman properties here. The noise is really sporadic, and not something that bothered us too much. I'd certainly not cancel any plans of staying at Amanusa because of the construction. On the upside, this construction has resulted in low occupancy in Amanusa, so most of the times you get the public areas to yourself - the main pool area is gorgeous!

We're spending the next 3 nights in Amanwana and then returning to Amanusa for our last night in Indonesia.

Rish
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Short Trip Report

My wife and I returned from our Indonesia trip a couple of days back. We had a fabulous time on the whole and can't wait to return to Bali in the near future. There's magic in Bali!

Our itinerary ended up being - 4 nights in Amanusa, 2 nights in Amandari, 3 nights in Amanwana.

Amanusa - Fabulous! I expected Amandari to be the star property of the trip, but Amanusa ended up being that. I liked it more than Amankila, which surprised me because I loved my stay at Amankila 2 years back and didn't expect too much of Amanusa. For me, the aesthetic and "feel" of a property matters relatively more than impeccable service or food. The main area of this property is stunning, with its impossibly large swimming pool, beautiful view out to what at times looks like something out of an oriental fable, with many shades of green, the ocean and mountains in the distance, and the main fortlike structure. We were in a pool suite which had a view out to the golf course and the ocean in the distance. The rooms were nice enough, more sleek and modern (and better) than Amankila or Amandari, though not as innovative as and lacking the special ambiance of some other Amanrooms like Amanjiwo or Amanbagh. The outside areas of the rooms are really beautiful - the green pond adjacent to the bathroom, an outdoor shower, and the lovely terrace with its stone-columned daybed and blue pool. Given the beach and the massive main pool, next time I'd save $200 and get a regular room. The many (lily? or lotus?) ponds that are strewn around the property add a lot to the look and feel of the property. The italian restaurant has pretty good food and a great ambiance at night. The beach area is really well done with semi-private bales surrounded by bushes. This beach is one of the best in Bali and fun to swim in during high tide, though not nearly as pretty or pristine as beaches in places like Maldives. Our beach experience was greatly enhanced to niravana-ic proportions by a substance easily available in Bali, and was the highlight of the trip. Any guest at Amanusa should try their honeycomb ice-cream, preferably we soon as they arrive. We gorged on it throughout our stay. The spicy Indonesian curries were fairly good. By day 3, the special-ness of this property had really crept in and we decided to extend our stay.

More on the other properties in a bit...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Get in whilst you can. Losari will be turning into a Wellness Resort and only take bookings from people enrolled in their compulsory Wellness Programmes (min stay 3 nights).
Sad. An unfortunate trend in my opinion, that has ruined some terrific places.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rjhunjhu

Amanusa - Fabulous! I expected Amandari to be the star property of the trip, but Amanusa ended up being that. The rooms were nice enough, more sleek and modern (and better) than Amankila or Amandari,
I felt the same way, expecting Amanusa to be the least of the three, but really loving the design and aesthetic of the place, as well as the superb beach service. It's a really superb resort. Looking forward to your reviews of dari and wana.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:52 am

Amanusa has always been a favourite of mine, ever since it opened. I never understood why some people dismissed it as it is one of the more comfortable Amans in Bali. Staff has been here, in some cases, right from the start. The beach, although now sandwiched between awful concrete abominations, remains a fabulous stretch of white sand with superb service and great lunches under the shade, cooked fresh in their little kitchen there. I am really pleased that many of you are discovering Amanusa and appreciating its charms!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:32 am

I have always been a big fan of Amanusa and when people complained of the beaches in Bali I was sure they overlooked Amanusa's Beach Club. The sand, service, bale's, lounge chairs, restaurant, are top notch and I love the journey from the lobby in the jeep or by bike. Bliss!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:53 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Amanusa has always been a favourite of mine, ever since it opened. I never understood why some people dismissed it as it is one of the more comfortable Amans in Bali. Staff has been here, in some cases, right from the start. The beach, although now sandwiched between awful concrete abominations, remains a fabulous stretch of white sand with superb service and great lunches under the shade, cooked fresh in their little kitchen there. I am really pleased that many of you are discovering Amanusa and appreciating its charms!
Originally Posted by zigzag
I have always been a big fan of Amanusa and when people complained of the beaches in Bali I was sure they
overlooked Amanusa's Beach Club. The sand, service, bale's, lounge chairs, restaurant, are top notch and I love the journey from the lobby in the jeep or by bike. Bliss!

There goes one of my secrets
Am really looking forward to the beach which I actually didn 't get to last year!
Pity it gets less & less " private " each year , hope no more yet to be announced neighbours

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 28, 2011 at 9:55 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Trip report installment 2

Amandari - There is no wow factor in Amandari. Only genuine charm and a languid, pleasing ambiance, which begins to seep in after you've spent some time taking in what's around. This is one of the special Amans, like Amanjiwo and perhaps Amanjena (haven't been there), that have a very specific and consistent theme and feel - in this case, a Balinese village-y kind of setting. The property has aged beautifully, with a lot of moss, lichen and other greeny-fungal stuff covering the stone walls and passages, adding significantly to the aesthetic of the property. Here all those green lotus/lily ponds really look natural and atmospheric. The views out to the rice terraces from the main pool area and many of the rooms are pretty too, though they looked much nicer on Aman's website.

On the whole, the rooms are average. The bedroom area does have some interesting design features like the window behind the bed looking out to a manicured green area and the several panels with (I presume) Balinese art. The bathroom area is boring and unimaginative. We had pool suite # 14, which I recommend for the beautiful view as well as for its proximity to the main area of the property. I thought the one-floor suites were much better than the duplexes.

This property may not be worth it for people easily repulsed or scared by geckos, frogs and other bugs; they're all over the outdoor areas (and the occasional gecko inside the room). We had a biggish spider in our room once and a little snake just outside our room door.

Amandari delivers on some of the Aman staples - lovely tea, local snacks and drinks every evening by the pool and performances of Balinese dance in the main lobby area several times a week. One of the two evenings we were there, they'd put up a fairly elaborate 40-minute performance of several classical Balinese dances performed by (very cute) Balinese kids of several ages that learn and practice in Amandari.

The small spa is a really beautiful facility. An Amandari massage in one of the spa rooms open from one side to a lush green pond with fountain-like feature was blissful. The 2-hour trek in the Ayung valley is worth it too - lovely rice terraces, villages replete with ancient banyan trees and doe-eyed cows.

As was rumored, there is indeed magic to be felt in Amandari. When I visit Ubud again, I'll probably try out COMO Estate or FS Sayan, but book myself 2 nights at Amandari and not venture out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.