mark vs carlyle

Old May 30, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mark vs carlyle

mark recently changed owners, and seems like financial issues.

presumably no financial issues at carlyle, but its managed by rosewood, and i presume they arent very concerned about the condition of entry level rooms.

mark >
- current situation with courtesy car
- just how early is possible with 24 hour checkin

both >
- treatment of first time guests in entry level rooms
- quality of breakfast
- quality of afternoon tea

thoughts or experiences? thanks in advance for anything. ^

only these 2 properties because they are 1 block from lenox hill.
there isnt anything else nearby is there?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 11:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Mark underwent a thorough renovation, and the lobby and guest rooms are gorgeous. I'd recommend over the Carlyle. Both are Virtuoso (the Mark's amenities are listed below).

• Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Complimentary Continental breakfast daily for up to two in-room guests
  • One US$100 Food & Beverage credit per room, per stay (not combinable, no cash value if not redeemed)
Old May 30, 2011, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mark i might do via charitybuzz. seem to recall several regulars posting negative comments about service etc, plus im concerned about new owner and financial situation impacting hotel ops. not sure whats going on with residences.

OTOH im only comparing to carlyle.

virtuoso at carlyle >
"$80 total daily Breakfast Credit, in restaurant or via room service for up to 2 in-room guests"
that at least covers buffet, if its not a la carte
amenity is $50 F&B or spa

mark >
signature says their upgrades stop at Seventy-Seven One Bedroom Suite
ensemble has early/late checkin/checkout if available
ensmble site also clarifies that mark checkout is at noon regardless of checkin. (also in mark T&C.) really odd. i wonder how early they let you checkin... they state 30 hours is ok (6am) but can you do 36 hours (midnight) ???
also interesting is inclusion of 6 hours of private driver with suites on regular rates. looking at best promo rate on base suite, it was a ~$240 difference, so ~$40 per hour

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

figuring out mark layout >

there is 1 of each of the 3 mark studio categories and 5 mark tower suite categories on floors 9-12 (8 x 4 = 32)

seems like they were going to be sold as coop but from recent article sounds like they are either never going to do that, or are not doing it right now in this economy. regardless, the original plans mean they have really nice full kitchens, including electric gaggenau cooktops. talk about try before you buy. interestingly the top 6 non hotel units on floors 14-16 have gas instead of electric, and wine fridges. understandable differentiation i guess.

that leaves 18 suites and 100 rooms on floors 2-8.

currently selling 10 coop residences (not in hotel inventory, 2 have closed)
4 - 1 per floor on 9-12 fronting street corner
3 on floor 14 (2?)
2 on floor 15
1 penthouse on floor 16/17

certainly would have been convenient for owner if that rumored russian had indeed bought floors 14-17.

themarkhotel.com/residences/

mark update >

now in hotel inventory >
2 on 14th floor
3 on floors 9 to 11

mark studio / mark premier studio - all 8 leased ?

coops sold >
9th floor park studio
12th floor coop
three 15th floor coop
(penthouse not sold)

carlyle by floor >

3-10 premier suite
3-19 superior room - $553
3-27 deluxe room
4-12 premier room
4-16 superior suite
4-16 deluxe suite
4-18 classic room
5-18 carlyle suite
10-17 rosewood suite $2,813
14-16 deluxe 2BR suite
15 premier 2BR suite # 1511 - $6,000
15-16 superior 2BR suite
20-33 deluxe tower room - $1,016
22 royal suite 2BR # 2209 - no longer in inventory
23-33 superior tower room - $595
27,30,31 central park tower suite - $7,500
28 empire suite 3BR duplex across 28 and 29 - $15,000
33 central park view suite - $5,000

hmm, hotel site says "188 rooms and suites distributed among the hotel's 60 residential apartments" while residences brochure says "188 rooms, including 64 suites and 55 residential apartments"

26 and 34 are full floor residences
(JFK had duplex residence on 34)
19 may have become full floor
wonder re very top / 36 to 40

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 2, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 6:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Mark is 24hrs check in only.... not check out. So you can pre-block for an 8am check in, but you still have to be out by noon. YMMV.

I like both hotels... but I give the edge to The Carlyle.... The Cafe Carlyle is fun in a old school kind of way.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:04 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I saw Bobby Short in Cafe Carlyle many years ago -- a great experience!!
Old May 30, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
I like both hotels... but I give the edge to The Carlyle.... The Cafe Carlyle is fun in a old school kind of way.
Originally Posted by luxury
I saw Bobby Short in Cafe Carlyle many years ago -- a great experience!!
definitely looking at cafe carlyle.

- but how does tea compare between the two ?

maybe ill book mark promo and then see what carlyle offers by 24 hours out.

- virtuoso benefits apply to "mark turns 2" ?

- i presume single occupancy can never get full breakfast credit ($80 at carlyle) ?
Old May 31, 2011, 1:44 pm

The Mark may have been newly renovated but cannot compare to The Carlyle in terms of classic service and elegance.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

somehow i forgot surrey was right next to them as well, seems odd its more expensive than both. hotel is just taller than mark.

wow, mark studios (with kitchen) start for not much more than base rate.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:16 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
- virtuoso benefits apply to "mark turns 2" ?

- i presume single occupancy can never get full breakfast credit ($80 at carlyle) ?
Mark Turns 2 - no, not officially. YMMV

Breakfast for 2 - sure why not? The rate is the same single or double
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thanks.

thats pretty cool. if by myself would be great having $80 breakfast credit. then again, i could also invite friends to breakfast and get one of them free. and then apply dining credit as well.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:41 pm

Guys - forgive me, I assume this is not the appropriate thread for this question, but it seems suitable given what appears above. Please move it (and let me know where!) as you wish. I am new(ish) and finding my feet, but a big user of top-class places (16 amanresorts, for example), generally for fun, and now addicted to (albeit irregularly visiting) this forum.

I do't really bother with "schemes", althoug I belong to a couple. All you US guys have access to Virtuoso, and you talk incessantly of the "benefits" of booking though them (especially, it seems, trough DavidO, who is clearly smart and well-connected)), but I live in London and use Eden Collection, whom I love (formerly the Elegant Resorts' Chairman's Club, but all the good people left, and anyway, Thomas Cook...) Their USP is that you never pay more through them than you would if you booked direct, which is great, but you don't (it seems) have the same opportunity for "benefits" as you US guys - and nor do you, apparently, through any other UK agent. I find that at amanresorts I get breakfast anyway, as a junkie (and if I didn't I would be on here within moments telling you all...), and other benefits, but when I stay elsewhere, where whould I be going, or who should I be speaking to, for the sort of benefits that you similarly high-spending US guys get?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

see the sticky at the top of the forum.

the only benefit that is of any real potential value is the upgrade... which is usually upon availability at checkin. although sometimes its confirmed at booking. amex centurion is probably best for that, with leaders club unlimited possibly next best.

were not talking about exclusive access (expensive concierges/agents and "high-spending") or rate negotiation (ive never seen this advertised)...

AFAIK none of the agents here claim to offer anything beyond the contract benefits they have access to. (and perhaps negotiating very slightly in terms of combining different contract's benefits like late checkouts, how amenity credits are used, or paying best available rate and still getting contract benefits when that is sometimes not supposed to be how it works.)

not everyone uses the programs, whether because they dont care, or they prefer dealing with GMs/etc. personally, ive started getting tired of talking to non-management staff at luxury hotels who dont know what theyre talking about.

as OP of this not very specific or detailed thread, i have no problem with the offtopic, and while there are better threads to bump (or make your own) the question works just as well here, other than not getting the same attention as a new thread.

Originally Posted by abroadermind
16 amanresorts
incl bora bora? only 7-8 to go!

lots of amanjunkies here as im sure youve noticed, especially from the size of aman threads.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:46 pm

Thank you, that's reassuring and useful. 16 amans not inc bora bora (of course), and only 13 different ones in fact, and 3 repeats, but mildly obsessed!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:55 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by abroadermind
Guys - forgive me, I assume this is not the appropriate thread for this question, but it seems suitable given what appears above. Please move it (and let me know where!) as you wish. I am new(ish) and finding my feet, but a big user of top-class places (16 amanresorts, for example), generally for fun, and now addicted to (albeit irregularly visiting) this forum.

I do't really bother with "schemes", althoug I belong to a couple. All you US guys have access to Virtuoso, and you talk incessantly of the "benefits" of booking though them (especially, it seems, trough DavidO, who is clearly smart and well-connected)), but I live in London and use Eden Collection, whom I love (formerly the Elegant Resorts' Chairman's Club, but all the good people left, and anyway, Thomas Cook...) Their USP is that you never pay more through them than you would if you booked direct, which is great, but you don't (it seems) have the same opportunity for "benefits" as you US guys - and nor do you, apparently, through any other UK agent. I find that at amanresorts I get breakfast anyway, as a junkie (and if I didn't I would be on here within moments telling you all...), and other benefits, but when I stay elsewhere, where whould I be going, or who should I be speaking to, for the sort of benefits that you similarly high-spending US guys get?
Since Kagehitokiri doesn't mind your question - I have one to ask you. Why not use an agent in the US? Perhaps there's a rule/law against this - but I've never heard of one. Like I mentioned in another thread - I've never met my travel agent. We communicate mostly by email - and occasionally by phone. I don't know how phone service works in the UK. But with my phone provider - I can pay a small amount - $5 - for a month of cheap rates to another country (like under 10 cents a minute depending on the country). I tend to put this service on when I'm planning a trip to another country (to call hotels - restaurants - etc.). Keep it for a few months and then remove it. Perhaps there is a similar plan available to you in the UK so you could keep in contact with a travel agent here by phone. Obviously this wouldn't work if you like to sit down face to face with a travel agent to plan trips. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Jun 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.