Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Dublin Luxury Hotel

Plan on a few days in Dublin to vege out and drink Guinness. Usually stay at 4 Season but comments I read is that location not the best for enjoying the music, pubs, etc. Fitzwilliam recommended as a near 4+ star and great location. Plan to see some shows and relax. Would appreciate some suggestions.
Old May 28, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
The Fitzwilliam is steps away from Grafton Street and overlooking the park, so an ideal location for nearby pubs and strolling. While the views over St Stephens Green are lovely, on weekend nights when there are late-night revelers on the street, I prefer the rooms with balconies over the back gardens -- a very residential and homey feel. Service is good, staff is warm, concierge is one of the best in Dublin. Room decor very modern and comfortable.

For a more luxury and refined experience, The Merrion is my top choice. I prefer the the Main House -- junior suites are very comfortable and spacious; great bathrooms. Top notch service, and Patrick Guilbaud is one of the best restaurants in Ireland (second only to Gregan's Castle in the Burren). Be sure to make a reservation well in advance. The Cellar Bar is quiet and cozy, so may not be the 'pubs and music' night you're looking for. It's one of my favorite places in the city for a nightcap, away from the craic. Virtuoso agents can get you a complimentary limousine airport transfer with their standard amenities. Virtuoso member hotels in Ireland: http://britishislestouring.com/hotel...tels%20map.htm

I neglected to mention Thorntons at the Fitzwilliam -- a great restaurant! Reservation a must.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
The Fitzwilliam is steps away from Grafton Street and overlooking the park, so an ideal location for nearby pubs and strolling. While the views over St Stephens Green are lovely, on weekend nights when there are late-night revelers on the street, I prefer the rooms with balconies over the back gardens -- a very residential and homey feel. Service is good, staff is warm, concierge is one of the best in Dublin. Room decor very modern and comfortable.

For a more luxury and refined experience, The Merrion is my top choice. I prefer the the Main House -- junior suites are very comfortable and spacious; great bathrooms. Top notch service, and Patrick Guilbaud is one of the best restaurants in Ireland (second only to Gregan's Castle in the Burren). Be sure to make a reservation well in advance. The Cellar Bar is quiet and cozy, so may not be the 'pubs and music' night you're looking for. It's one of my favorite places in the city for a nightcap, away from the craic. Virtuoso agents can get you a complimentary limousine airport transfer with their standard amenities. Virtuoso member hotels in Ireland: http://britishislestouring.com/hotel...tels%20map.htm

I neglected to mention Thorntons at the Fitzwilliam -- a great restaurant! Reservation a must.
In my opinion your only choice is between The Four Seasons and The Merrion Hotel. The Four Seasons is a short taxi trip into the centre of town (ten minutes max) while The Merrion is in the heart of town. President Obama and his entourage booked out the entire Merrion Hotel recently,unfortunately he had to leave early due to the threat of volcanic ash and only some of the group had the hotel to themselves!

I don't like the Fitzwilliam although Thorntons is quite nice.

Linda, Gregans Castle? Seriuosly? It has a good chef and food but It's not better than Guilbauds!
Old May 28, 2011, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The FS offers complimentary S-class car service that can take you to central Dublin. I used this service on a Saturday evening last year and there was only a few minutes wait for the car to become available.
Old May 28, 2011, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
If money is not the issue as FS and Merrion are 420 and 552 euros respectively for the stay is it worth spending the extra 132 for a 3 night stay at Merrion?

(I am also a member of LHW so that gets me a couple of comps at Merrion.)
Old May 28, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
The FS offers complimentary S-class car service that can take you to central Dublin. I used this service on a Saturday evening last year and there was only a few minutes wait for the car to become available.
Unfortunately, this service was never once available during a three-night stay I had at the FS last November. Granted, when I raised the issue with corporate, they went above and beyond to make it right, but it was one of the main reasons why I chose the FS over the Merrion to begin with. I'd be wary of relying too much on it.
Old May 29, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by paul2

I don't like the Fitzwilliam although Thorntons is quite nice.

Linda, Gregans Castle? Seriuosly? It has a good chef and food but It's not better than Guilbauds!
If budget needs to be taken into consideration, I think Fitzwilliams is the best choice. Perfect location.

Gregan's Castle better? You bet! They're both fabulous, so they may swap top spots on my list next week. Or maybe it's the astmosphere and being on the west coast that puts an extra point or two in Gregan's column. Im so delighted that Michael just won Ireland's 2011 top chef award. Well deserved.

http://www.irishrestaurantawards.com...ds-2011-1.html

Four Seasons Preferred Partner added amenity is a complimentary lunch (up to US$85). That, on top of their rates and FSPP included full breakfast makes it a darned good value for absolute luxury. Last time I was there we took DART (short walk) to Howth for the afternoon. It was a Sunday and the street markets were fantastic. We had a great day--first time to Howth.
Old May 29, 2011, 1:06 pm

If budget needs to be taken into consideration, I think Fitzwilliams is the best choice. Perfect location.
I don't think budget is a major consideration with the OP,if it is with anyone else then yes The Firtzwilliam is an option as is the small boutique hotel The Cliff Town House on a nicer stretch of the green with a lovely first floor bar with views over St.Stephens Green.

Gregan's Castle better? You bet! They're both fabulous, so they may swap top spots on my list next week. Or maybe it's the astmosphere and being on the west coast that puts an extra point or two in Gregan's column. Im so delighted that Michael just won Ireland's 2011 top chef award. Well deserved.
http://www.irishrestaurantawards.com...ds-2011-1.html

Obviously the relaxed atmosphere and beautiful location on the west coast is a major plus for Gregans but, as we are discussing Dublin IMHO Guilbauds is fab. I like L'Ecrivain too....not pushed about Chapter One.
The awards you referred to are associated with one newspaper and some sponsors,I don't regard them authoritative at all. Whilst there are many good restaurants on the list IMO it's an advertising feature for the restaurant association and their sponsors.

Four Seasons Preferred Partner added amenity is a complimentary lunch (up to US$85). That, on top of their rates and FSPP included full breakfast makes it a darned good value for absolute luxury. Last time I was there we took DART (short walk) to Howth for the afternoon. It was a Sunday and the street markets were fantastic. We had a great day--first time to Howth.
I have recommended this trip to a few people on a different forum here on FT.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Dublin born as I am,I'd agree with Paul,it's either,the merrion or the four seasons.I love both.
My advice would be the merrion though as you can walk to a lot of the general city centre area from there if you are energetic.
I'm talking the square mile around o'connell st including grafton st,up as far as Guinness[at a push] and temple bar.
There are hundreds of quaint and nice restaurants.
Patrick guilbauds is fantastic in the merrion and l'ecrevain is around the corner.
Hugo's is a favourite restaurant haunt of mine nearby on merrion row too.

I find thorntons a tad cold as a restaurant.As a hotel the fitzwilliam is probably better described as a very good four star.Personally I would far prefer a library suite in the westin to the fitzwilliam to be honest.
I wouldn't touch a normal room at the westin with a barge pole because they are ordinary but I love their suites so maybe thats an option for the budget.
I've used the westin a lot as an spg plat.
I know vuittonsofstyle is going to kill me but I find service there to be quite warm and you can't beat the location-a suite only though if you choose there.

I'd agree with Linda,that the fspp rates/amenities would make the four seasons stonking good value.
Their restaurant might not have awards,but as a regular customer,it's lovely!
I also like the bar there [not the ice bar] and the lobby lounge.
As Paul says,it's 10 minutes by taxi into town from there so not an issue.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Agree with both paul and Earthman. Hadn't stayed at the 4s Dublin so I did over a weekend a few months back; I think I had preconceived notion that the distance out from town would be a pain but to be honest after lunch and shopping it really is only a ten min drive out to the 4s. We went back into town for Dinner and getting a taxi back at not too late/ early an hour was easy (not sure what it might be like an hour or two later..I'm sure Earthman can tell us). And the FSPP aminities make it very good value ^.

Ohh and on another tack..i too found Thorntons a bit cold..good food and 'nice service' but... That said haven't eaten there in a while ( year maybe)
Old May 29, 2011, 9:54 pm

How's The Shelbourne in Dublin for classic luxury?

The suites in their Heritage Wing look quite nice...
Old May 29, 2011, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by paul2
I don't think budget is a major consideration with the OP,if it is with anyone else then yes The Firtzwilliam is an option as is the small boutique hotel The Cliff Town House on a nicer stretch of the green with a lovely first floor bar with views over St.......
Interesting you mention The Cliff Town House. I'm planning to stop in and see it in August. I've heard it's a good option for moderate budgets. I'm staying at its sister property in Ardmore earlier that week, which I really like--extraordinary views! They run a tight ship at The Cliff House in Ardmore; perhaps it will be the same at The Cliff Town House. A drink at the first floor bar you mention will give me an excuse to enjoy the views, or is it the other way around?

I'm staying 2 nights at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt as an 89th birthday present to my mother who loves gardens, golf and the countryside. So she'll get her gardens and we'll still be able to get into Dublin for some good dinners with friends. This will be my first stay at the RC Powerscourt. I'll post a TR afterwards. The Virtuoso amenities are pretty generous there. I'm anxious to see how the property blends in to the countryside. The GM is a great guy and top notch manager, so I'm assuming he's operating the hotel at the highest standards that he operated other RC's. I love the whole "ladies and gentlemen of the Ritz-Carlton" culture. From bygone days when manners and courtesies mattered.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: CO silver
Shelbourne is elegant w exception of Queen SIZE Room

Originally Posted by OliverB
How's The Shelbourne in Dublin for classic luxury?

The suites in their Heritage Wing look quite nice...
The number 27 Lounge is a Great Bar overlooking St Stephen's Green and the
Famous Horse Shoe Pub as well.Hotel Is Grand and staff very friendly. Check out photos on Marriot Website if you haven't already.
Old May 30, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting you mention The Cliff Town House. I'm planning to stop in and see it in August. I've heard it's a good option for moderate budgets. I'm staying at its sister property in Ardmore earlier that week, which I really like--extraordinary views! They run a tight ship at The Cliff House in Ardmore; perhaps it will be the same at The Cliff Town House. A drink at the first floor bar you mention will give me an excuse to enjoy the views, or is it the other way around?
I'd regard the cliff townhouse as a work in progress.I've not stayed but had a meal there which was only so-so.Thats never a good sign.

The cliffhouse in Ardmore is absolutely superb though!Great service,great rooms in a tiny rural village by the sea and of course a michelin star restaurant.It sounds like you have been there already,so you'll know that.
I'm staying 2 nights at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt as an 89th birthday present to my mother who loves gardens, golf and the countryside. So she'll get her gardens and we'll still be able to get into Dublin for some good dinners with friends. This will be my first stay at the RC Powerscourt. I'll post a TR afterwards. The Virtuoso amenities are pretty generous there. I'm anxious to see how the property blends in to the countryside. The GM is a great guy and top notch manager, so I'm assuming he's operating the hotel at the highest standards that he operated other RC's. I love the whole "ladies and gentlemen of the Ritz-Carlton" culture. From bygone days when manners and courtesies mattered.
To be honest,I think this one is up there with the best of the R-C's [and there are a fair share of relatively bad ones].
Your mum will love the gardens by the way,the powerscourt gardens are next door,not on the property itself but they may as well be as the hotel is in a wooded area joining them with a super view out over the wicklow mountains.
I have to say if you were there on Christmas week 2010 with close to 2 feet of snow all around,you would be wowed by the beauty of it all.
The same applies in high summer unless it's raining.
Enjoy and looking forward to the trip report.
Incidently,theres very good value in flights on aer lingus premier (j) at the moment with flat bed seats,avod, and for airline cuisine,good food and service.
Old May 30, 2011, 4:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
The Merrion

The Merrion is worth a premium over the FS-Dublin.

The Merrion has an absolutely top in-city location, yet still offers gardens and some outdoor space. I've stayed here half a dozen times over the past decade and have yet to have a service issue. The location is walk-to for just about everything in Dublin city-centre.

Restaurant Guilbaud has 2 stars and is, IMHO, the best luxe dining in Ireland. The hotel also has a more casual restaurant, and a charming lobby bar.

The gym won't knock your socks off, but it has been updated in the last 5 or so years, iirc. The indoor pool is nice.

The hotel is in FHR as well. Assuming you have the Platinum card, you'll get guaranteed late check out, breakfast for two daily, upgrade upon arrival if available (I've found them to be generous is in this regard) and the varying fourth amenity, which I don't recall for this hotel - but likely a spa or dining credit.

I've stayed at the FS and one other hotel in Dublin (the name of which escapes me), but this property, is without doubt, my default residence in Dublin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.