Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping FSPP Agents Question

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Tipping FSPP Agents Question

I would like to know for those of you who have used Four Seasons Preferred Partners Travel Agents, and have received suite upgrades, what is an appropriate tipping /thank you gift. I would appreciate any comments because I do not know what the etiquette with FSPP travel agents is.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
When dealing with travel agents, no tipping is needed. They will receive a commission from the hotel after your stay.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Ditto on that... no need to tip.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Just give them more business in the future. No need for the tip.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Merlion
Just give them more business in the future.
^ I would say this is the best tip
Old May 8, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Personally, as they get 7-10% commission on the, say, $5,000 you might spend, in return for 5 minutes making a booking you email to them, I feel no tip is needed!
Old May 8, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would be happy to pay an agent that is an expert negotiator a retainer. id see it as similar to buying status for upgrades/confirmed upgrades/etc.

i know someone who negotiated ridiculous upgrades at oberoi for example. (not an agent and didnt use one.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Old May 8, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Personally, as they get 7-10% commission on the, say, $5,000 you might spend, in return for 5 minutes making a booking you email to them, I feel no tip is needed!
In general, I suspect most agents would be thrilled with (a) a personal letter of thanks after the trip, (b) your future business and (c) a qualified referral or two.

A number of higher end agents visit many properties all around the world and can advise first-hand on their experiences. A few are kind enough to post their notes here, too. This is really value-add and is the type of agent I prefer.

As Kagehitokiri suggested, I too have considered putting an agent on retainer. I haven't found one that fits me perfectly, so haven't done so yet. Perhaps the retainer would the entitle me to free flight bookings (ie: no booking fee) and reasonable on-call/email advisory access...in exchange for making $x a year in commissionable hotel bookings. First hand knowledge of high end properties and prompt email communication are extremely valuable to me. Happy to hear suggestions of people/boutique agencies that might fit this bill!
Old May 9, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
No tipping is either needed or expected, however, I always appreciate feedback from clients after a stay. If you're happy with the service and benefits you receive, it's nice to receive a thank you note (and a referral is always welcome).
Old May 9, 2011, 10:44 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by cintroncar
I I would appreciate any comments because I do not know what the etiquette with FSPP travel agents is.
I think what everyone is saying is that there is no etiquette.... My personal experience as a TA is that I have received gifts from clients ranging from a gift card for gas to a $2500.00 cappuccino machine as a wedding gift and everything in between, including nothing at all!

Do whatever you think is best for you....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.