2-br suite in NYC?

Old Feb 16, 11, 5:37 am
Original Poster

2-br suite in NYC?

I'm looking into getting a 2-br suite for a visit to NYC later in the spring. So far I'm only coming up with either the Trump International 2-br suites (which look good) or the London NYC Penthouse Suites (though the hotel doesn't really appeal to me) before I get into presidential suite sort of prices.

My max is about $2500/night+tax (Trump seem to come in at around $2000/night if I buy in advance, London NYC a little bit higher). Any other suggestions? I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to get a great 1-br suite and a separate room, even though it's not really ideal. No kids in the group though, so it could be done if necessary.

(I've lurked here for ages, but I couldn't find a thread that was good to bump for this query. Sorry if I've missed something obvious!)

Last edited by westmoon; Feb 16, 11 at 5:38 am Reason: grammar!
Old Feb 16, 11, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trump was recently updated. could also do lowell.

those are least mixed here.

id assume i did a compilation a while ago including boutique hotels. although there are a bunch of more recent luxury/etc properties, plus private rentals at jumeirah essex house and trump for example.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 16, 11 at 6:15 am
Old Feb 16, 11, 6:04 am

One bedroom suite + connecting room at The Peninsula would be an option.
Old Feb 16, 11, 6:08 am

The Regency has two-bedroom corner suites that, in my recollection, go for about $1,200 per night.
Old Feb 16, 11, 6:08 am

At the St Reg NYC:

- St. Regis Suite
- Grand Suite
- etc.

Why not just book two adjoining rooms though?

Personally, I'd opt for two adjoining Grand Luxe or Astor Suites at the St. Regis; well within your budget and the best hotel service in the city as far as I'm concerned.
Old Feb 16, 11, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for those suggestions! Obviously I just wasn't looking in any of the right places.

We're looking for a 2-br place more than adjoining rooms mainly because the focus is really on the being together aspect of the trip, rather than being in New York. Not that we won't enjoy NYC while we're there, of course! However, I guess it's important to us to have a shared space to hang out in, rather than two smaller living spaces or having to go out to more public places like bars and restaurants to socialize amongst ourselves.

Normally we do more of a house party thing and rent a place, usually somewhere with more of an outdoor activity focus. NYC works best logistically this year though.

Last edited by westmoon; Feb 16, 11 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by westmoon View Post
Thanks for those suggestions! Obviously I just wasn't looking in any of the right places.

We're looking for a 2-br place more than adjoining rooms mainly because the focus is really on the being together aspect of the trip, rather than being in New York. Not that we won't enjoy NYC while we're there, of course! However, I guess it's important to us to have a shared space to hang out in, rather than two smaller living spaces or having to go out to more public places like bars and restaurants to socialize amongst ourselves.

Normally we do more of a house party thing and rent a place, usually somewhere with more of an outdoor activity focus. NYC works best logistically this year though.

Would a large suite with an adjoining room work though? Most 2-bedroom suites are just that, and often the second bedroom isn't quite up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Presumably your other guests will be more comfortable in a full-size room with the accordant bathroom rather than a 'second' bedroom.

I would also second the St. Regis as being a good option, although just about any five-star hotel with the 1-bed + room would be fine, depending on what your tastes are.
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:19 am

Trump Soho can join a 1-bedroom suite + connecting room to form a 2-bedroom suite.
The same for Mandarin Oriental.
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017 View Post
Would a large suite with an adjoining room work though? Most 2-bedroom suites are just that, and often the second bedroom isn't quite up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Presumably your other guests will be more comfortable in a full-size room with the accordant bathroom rather than a 'second' bedroom.
Based on that description, it probably wouldn't work, no! Perhaps a rethink is in order then!
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:47 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
A few hotels have purpose built two bedrooms suite with more than one living area and other fun things like media rooms, kitchens, office etc..... Waldorf Towers, The Lowell, Trump, Plaza Athenee, Ritz Central Park, Chatwall and Mandarin come to mind right away, but afraid that some of those suites I have booked in at for way over 2k. The other way to "build" a two bedroom is yes to have the connecting room added to your one bedroom suite booking. So what you really want is a large one bedroom suite with a decent connecting room I suppose.

Maybe you should zoom in on a style of room / hotel you would enjoy and go from there? The Waldorf Towers and Mandarin or example are night and day in terms of room style.
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:56 am

Carlyle Deluxe two bedroom suite is available with two king bedded bedrooms each with en suite bathrooms, as well as a large living room with half bath, etc...

The dates I randomly checked came in at $2400, so it`s within your budget. It`s a very elegant upper east side hotel with a residential feel to it- could be perfect to spend time together with friends/family.

This is the description from The Carlyle`s website http://www.thecarlyle.com/suites.cfm

Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite
The Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suites offer approximately 1,300 square feet of living space and feature a king-bedded master bedroom and either a king bed or two twin beds in the second bedroom making this option an ideal choice for the traveling family. The spacious accommodations overlook either Madison Avenue or 76th Street, and are tastefully appointed and individually decorated with decor ranging from the stylings of a traditional English residence to a more contemporary yet timeless living space with two full baths, a kitchenette, ample closet space, hardwood floors, luxurious wool area rugs, custom fabrics and linen and original artwork adorning the walls. The suites are located on the 14th through 16th floors.

Also, at the Peninsula Deluxe suites can be connected to a king bedded Grand Deluxe Room. This would normally be more expensive, but as pen seems to be running suite life a lot, it could possibly be within your budget.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 16, 11 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG View Post
A few hotels have purpose built two bedrooms suite with more than one living area and other fun things like media rooms, kitchens, office etc..... Waldorf Towers, The Lowell, Trump, Plaza Athenee, Ritz Central Park, Chatwall and Mandarin come to mind right away, but afraid that some of those suites I have booked in at for way over 2k.
Yes, in my searches I came across more than a couple of fabulous suites that were PERFECT for us, but sadly exceeded my budget by a factor of 10. Oh well, perhaps one of us will win the Euromillions this weekend.

Good point about the hotel style. When I wasn't finding too many possibilities it seemed less important, but given the wealth of options that have been suggested here I'll obviously need to do a bit more research.
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nba1017 View Post
Would a large suite with an adjoining room work though? Most 2-bedroom suites are just that
not really, and definitely not in new york. (as ABG describes.)

Originally Posted by Pierre&CÚdric View Post
Trump Soho can join a 1-bedroom suite + connecting room to form a 2-bedroom suite.
trump soho also has 10 2BR penthouses, but entry ones (in price range) are small.
Old Feb 16, 11, 9:07 am

Depending on the class of room/suite you book, it would most definitely work at the St. Regis... there's more than ample living space. The bathrooms are huge with double vanities which works for your situation, and if you were to book a Deluxe Suite (800 sq.ft.) and adjoining room you, would have a very comfortable seating/social area for your family to spend time. The suite alone is the size of a small NYC apartment, plus you would have the extra guest room and amenities to use. I would suggest this to be your best bet. And if you can afford the Madison Suite at almost 1000 sq. ft. of living space with an adjoining Dlx Room, you'd be living large in NYC! The St. Regis is my personal top choice hotel in the city (and one of my favorites on the East Coast!), and if it fits your budget, then I wouldn't ever consider staying elsewhere.
Old Feb 16, 11, 9:17 am

Btw, avg. rack rates for an 800 sq. ft. suite are listed at roughly $1500 per night, but I'm sure you can do much better with the help of some of the people on this forum and a bit of research of your own. You can easily book an 800/900+ sq.ft. suite plus ample sized guest room (400/500 sq.ft.) well within your $2,500 nightly budget there. I would think that roughly 1200-1500 sq. ft. of living space should be more than enough for any immediate family in NYC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: