Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Le Royal, Sofitel, or Rosewood?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

I am again going to Phnom Penh shortly. I've always stayed at the Le Roual previously (and enjoyed it very much) but I've noticed that the new Sofitel has opened there. From it's website, it looks quite stunning.

Does anyone have first hand experiences of this property ?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:01 pm

Just bringing this forward. I have been staying at Raffles. Has anyone tried the Sofitel?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
may be too late but just in case :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...hnom-penh.html
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:41 pm

Thank you, Goldorak for the link. I did stay (again) at Raffles. It gives you a feeling for Cambodia and SE Asia. I will likely try the Sofitel next time.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Thank you, Goldorak for the link. I did stay (again) at Raffles. It gives you a feeling for Cambodia and SE Asia. I will likely try the Sofitel next time.
I just completed my 2d stay at the Sofitel and it's really great
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Are there any recent experiences for the Raffles? I'll be there at the end of the month on the Amex Fine Hotels Rate.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:40 am

Still very pleasant. The "back building" has all renovated rooms with flat screen TV's etc. The main building rooms are dated but that is where the larger, deluxe rooms are.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I was at the Raffles in March, I would absolutely stay there over the Sofitel.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:53 am

Thanks speedbird001 and GetSetJetSet. I will report back after my trip. I booked the lowest category of room, but should be getting an upgrade to the next level with amex rate.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

This is the OP here.

I stayed one time at the Sofitel. The hotel is a vast emptiness. Huge public areas but absolutely no people there. The atmosphere is zero. I returned to the Raffles and will always stay there in the future. A classy operation, full of charm. The Elephant Bar alone is worth a reason to stay there !
tierneyalvin likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Braniff
This is the OP here.

I stayed one time at the Sofitel. The hotel is a vast emptiness. Huge public areas but absolutely no people there. The atmosphere is zero.
I really don't have the same experience as you (and I stayed there 7 times). Did you go during the low season ?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by NW-A332
Thanks speedbird001 and GetSetJetSet. I will report back after my trip. I booked the lowest category of room, but should be getting an upgrade to the next level with amex rate.
I'm at the Raffles now and it is an amazing hotel. I was upgraded to a Landmark room that has butler service and faces the front of the hotel. IMHO this is the place to stay. We drove past the Sofitel and I don't care for its location.
tierneyalvin likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I really don't have the same experience as you (and I stayed there 7 times). Did you go during the low season ?
I stayed there right after it had opened - April last year (?). But I have many expat friends there that confirm my view right up to this moment. The location is also not exactly to die for. It's owned by a Thai mogul which has not not exactly endeared it to the Cambodians. I spoke with a French manager - not the GM - there who said they were aiming particularly for the wedding and conference market and that many upscale "Western" tour groups would stay there as Raffles was completely unknwon to them ...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NW-A332
I'm at the Raffles now and it is an amazing hotel. I was upgraded to a Landmark room that has butler service and faces the front of the hotel. IMHO this is the place to stay. We drove past the Sofitel and I don't care for its location.
+1.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: some
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but which room would you recommend (solo traveller)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.