FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Trump Soho Hotel, New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1171334-trump-soho-hotel-new-york.html)

Frothy Jan 12, 2011 3:12 am

Trump Soho Hotel, New York

Hi all,

This is my first post within this superb site, so please excuse me if this has been covered before or posted in the wrong forum.

I would be interested to hear if any one has stayed at this hotel and of their experiences.

Can you also recommend any alternatives; we have stayed at the MO and FS before and are looking for a new take on New York. We are looking for a hotel that will cater for 2 adults and 2 children?

Thanks

ABG Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Haven't been to Trump Soho.....
But a different take on New York would be a an upper east side stay. Both Plaza Athenée and Lowell are very children friendly. Otherwise The Carlyle and Surrey are interesting choices

uclabruin82 Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

I stayed at the Trump Soho in August. While the room was generally nice as it was so new, I think you will be disappointed coming from the FS or MO. I agree with the previous poster that staying on the UES (Carlyle, Mark, Surrey) would be fun. If you want to stay somewhere downtown, I think maybe the gramercy park hotel would be better since your children could play in the park. Of course, if you are going during the summer, than the Trump Soho, Thompson LES and Soho House all have pools, which would be good.

nba1017 Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Frothy (Post 15640275)
Hi all,

This is my first post within this superb site, so please excuse me if this has been covered before or posted in the wrong forum.

I would be interested to hear if any one has stayed at this hotel and of their experiences.

Can you also recommend any alternatives; we have stayed at the MO and FS before and are looking for a new take on New York. We are looking for a hotel that will cater for 2 adults and 2 children?

Thanks

The Regency has some nice one and two bedroom suites that might fit what you're looking for--they're also usually not egregiously expensive (>$1000ish per night). The location, while close to the FS, has an entirely different feel, and Madison Ave from 60th upward has some of NY's best and most upscale shopping and restaurants. Don't know how much it matters to you but the area is also exceptionally safe.

aa4ever Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017 (Post 15644465)
Madison Ave from 60th upward has some of NY's best and most upscale shopping and restaurants.

Shopping yes. Restaurants, decidedly not. UES has, in my mind, some of the worst restaurants in the City. And most are overpriced at that.

That being said, the UES is very pleasant, and might be nice for a change. Downtown would probably be more convenient for doing most things though. Then again, taxis are usually pretty easy to get in NYC (although I've been having terrible luck getting cabs recently; almost every time it takes me >15 min, no matter where I am. The one exception to this has, ironically, been Morningside Heights).

FlyingDoctorwu Aug 10, 2013 6:19 am

Any recent experiences? I'm considering this versus the FS.. The FS is a good 300 a night more expensive though... (though that includes FSPP benefits and $100 a night credit...) I'm willing to forgo those in exchange for the room rate.. I've got to save my pennies for an Aman trip in February... My priorities are a good hard product, and a reasonable location for visiting a friend in Brooklyn and seeing a show. Oh and I like in room NEspresso machines.. I'm a fairly regular regular to NYC given my sisters live there, but it's always the UES so I'm not as familiar with anything below 60th to be honest (always there for family stuff)....

thanks
FDW

vincentb89 Aug 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Trump Soho is virtuoso so you'll get benefits. Hard product is really good room-wise, it's just the Trump style I can't get along with (Soho was my first and only experience of Trump hotels).
However value for the product is amazing. If you're looking to save money for an Aman experience, go for it
And you'll get your Nespresso coffee in room :)

MorganDK Aug 10, 2013 2:18 pm

I have spent 2x1 weeks at TS and found the experience positive. Hard product is (much) better than FS:NY. Soft, depends on who you catch. Andreas Oberoi is top shelf and ran a tight ship when we were there.

Have tried the 1BR suite and the 2BR penthouse - both perfect.

As for MO - i'm not a fan, but thats a long story.

Cheers

Morgan

ABG Aug 10, 2013 4:08 pm

I'd say take a look at The Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca over Trump.....The negative on Greenwich is entry level rooms can be small.

FlyingDoctorwu Aug 10, 2013 4:36 pm

thanks for all the suggestions/info.. the rate I'm looking at is prepaid and doesn't qualify for any virtuoso benefits. No breakfast either.. Upside is that it's about 300 cheaper than the FS, and 250 cheaper than the Greenwich; which should pay for breakfast....

FDW

RichardInSF Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Jet Luxury resorts has rooms at Trump Soho usually at better rates than you can get through Virtuoso or other sources, maybe that is the rate you are using -- if not, check 'em out, have used them a few times in Honolulu with no problems.

MorganDK Aug 11, 2013 6:06 am

Im a huge FS fan - and frequent patron. I don't understand FS:NY pricing when you look at the hard product quality. (Lack thereof)

M

vincentb89 Aug 11, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by MorganDK (Post 21251974)
Im a huge FS fan - and frequent patron. I don't understand FS:NY pricing when you look at the hard product quality. (Lack thereof)

M

The owner doesn't want to invest in a refurb. A lot of companies have corporate rates with FS (global corporate rates) so they put their employees there. Location is excellent and service is also.
I just hope the new FS downtown (Church street ?) will force them to spend in order to do a hard product refurb :)

MorganDK Aug 11, 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by vincentb89 (Post 21252061)
The owner doesn't want to invest in a refurb. A lot of companies have corporate rates with FS (global corporate rates) so they put their employees there. Location is excellent and service is also.
I just hope the new FS downtown (Church street ?) will force them to spend in order to do a hard product refurb :)

Oh, I 100% understand. I just prefer to shop the best place in a given location instead of following chains. F.ex. In Milan the PH is (imho) a lot better than 4S. In NYC, I found the Trump soho to be better (and yeah, I find the whole Trump brand a bit tasteless, but it really was good!) than 4S. In Geneva 4S is perhaps one of the best Hotels in europe. In London 4S Park Lane kicks butt and so on...

Church Street will be interesting, but personally I'm really looking forward to PH NYC. That could potentially be a MO/4S killer if they do it right!

Cheers

Morgan

Blackbook Aug 12, 2013 12:01 am

Originally Posted by MorganDK (Post 21251974)

M

They will soon announce a refurbishment....

I don't think the hard product is that bad compared to what else is on offer in NYC...

I don't consider the Trump Soho in the same league. Yes, I liked my suite there but unless obligated to be down there, I prefer midtown. The service is typical Trump: a lot of flash but so/so service.