Wiki Posts
Search

The Stafford, London - review as a Kempinski hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The Stafford, London - review as a Kempinski hotel

I recently stayed at the Stafford in London and had a delightful stay.

From check-in to breakfast to drinks in the American Bar to the room, everything was perfect. A wonderful touch was personalized stationery with my name and the hotel's address on it (in two sizes).

In my review, I positioned the Stafford as a contrast to the large and somewhat faceless luxury hotels in London and I really believe this to be the case. As a result, I felt more like a guest in a private (and well-staffed) home than in a hotel.

A few photos of my room (bedroom, living room, desk) below. My complete review is online here.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:34 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am bumping this thread to the top as I erred in moving it to the UK Forum.
The UK Moderator has kindly returned it to the Luxury Forum.
Thanks for your understanding...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
I have found that true of most Kempinski hotels
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
I was kind of wondering about that......
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:30 am

I have a 10 day stay for pleasure coming in February. I know they have started on a 6 month refurbishment plan for the lounge and dining room and all meals, with both menus available, will be in the American Bar. I am somewhat disappointed with this as I had planned to entertain guests at dinner, albeit not enough guests to warrant a private dining room. Also, the entrance will be closed with entry via Blue Ball (Bell?) Court, off St James Street. I did call yesterday to be reassured that my room would not be directly under the work going on in the main buildings. I am in favor of this work, things had gotten a bit tatty. But I do not want it to mar my visit. <g> I will be going back in September and it will be lovely to see all the changes, assuming they don't change the general character of my favorite hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
No worries. Just like many members here, my post travelled a bit too.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Thanks for this thread, jspira. JanePond, this is my fave hotel in London as well.

I switched to the Stafford about a year after Starwood took over the Lanesborough and ruined it (at least for me), at the suggestion of a friend (whose picture is in the American Bar - see if you can find him! ), with my first stay being in late 2004. I will only stay at the Stafford now, but when my travels brought me to London about once a month they took great care of me - I even had my "own" room (413) confirmed ahead of time.

When I heard about Kempinski taking it over I was concerned, though my friend stayed there in December and said no major changes were made, and Ben is still tending bar. ^ I'm glad to hear from others here that so far, so good. It's going to be strange to have cars entering Blue Ball Yard, as the entry from St. James's is VERY narrow, as is the yard itself, but hey, whatever works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.