Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jalousie plantation aka Tides Sugar Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

jalousie plantation aka Tides Sugar Beach

Im thinking about booking a short trip to St Lucia in March and came upon jalousie.

Has anyone stayed there since the renovations have been completed?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by precision80
Im thinking about booking a short trip to St Lucia in March and came upon jalousie.

Has anyone stayed there since the renovations have been completed?
Yes we were there for a week in October. We stayed in a Grand Luxury Ocean View Villa which is exactly as it looks on their website. The Villas have a separate sitting room, dressing room and ours had 2 bathrooms - one ensuite to the bedroom with a claw foot bath, separate shower etc - the other off the sitting room with just a shower. All the villas and Sugar Mill rooms have refurbished in the same French Plantation style and all have butler service. If you're reading any reviews ignore any that mention the 'vintage' villas as they are no more.

The location is absolutely stunning right between the Pitons - a world Heritage site. All of the main hotel buildings have been refurbished . The food is very good especially in the Great Room which is the more formal of their 2 restaurants. The Cane Bar is very cool and trendy and wouldn't look out of place in New York or London. Since we were there they have opened their new Spa and also The Plantation Room. Service in the Bayside Restaurant where breakfast is served was sometimes a bit slow.

There is snorkelling/diving right off the beach in the Marine park at the base of the Piton. I think it is now the best luxury hotel option in St Lucia - certainly better than Ladera and I'm afraid Jade Mountain (even if I could afford it) has never appealed to me.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback...How was their beach?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:22 pm

The beach is imported white sand - all of the beaches in the south of St Lucia naturally have volcanic black sand of which I'm not a fan but the Jalousie beach is lovely.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Do you know if they are a Virtuoso property?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Can confirm that my stay was amazing and had a relaxing time.

Opted to arrive via helicopter; took 7 minutes each way and a decedent way to travel.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:54 am

Francismc - when was your stay - the helicoptor service to the JP was suspended when we were there in Oct.

I forgot to mention the terrace in my reply above - ours was enormous on 2 levels - with seating for outdoor dining, 2 lots of rattan sunloungers - one on each level and best of all 2 plunge pools - one enormous infinity one (more like a small swimming pool) that flowed down to a smaller one on the lower level.

Here's a description of a luxury villa - 2 levels below ours from someone who stayed since the JP reopened after Hurricane Tomas - ''The villas (we had a luxury Ocean View) are all new, white plantation-style with huge bathrooms, walk in showers, a big white canopy bed w/ mozzie nets and a great terrace with plunge pool. Air con in our villa was excellent and very comfortable. The rooms have all the mod cons (mini bar - though the selection was more Hilton than Tides), TV w/ DVD, UK plugs (!), lots of closet space and fresh white towels and excellent toiletries. (The shampoo/conditioner and bath gels/Salts are decanted, including outside by the plunge pool shower). The butler/butler-ette service is really good - like a personal concierge and you get a firefly phone for your stay to be in contact for whatever you need or demand''
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:00 am

I'm told that their helipad is closed for the 2011 year due to renovations. Anyone know why it takes a year to renovate a piece of tarmac?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum
They got slammed by Hurricane Tomas in November. Not sure if that has anything to do with the helipad issue or not. But, from reading some TA reviews, I'd think twice about heading there in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.