Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philadelphia Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Philadelphia Hotels

We're looking for Philly hotels and are deciding between The Rittenhouse, Rittenhouse 1715 and the RC. We don't care much about spas/gyms etc (we like to leave the hotel), but like big rooms and good service. Would love any experiences/advice/suggestions.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I recently stayed at the FS. My writeup is herehttp://www.executiveroadwarrior.com/...elphia-review/

You might wish to consider it.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:46 am
Original Poster

FS is great (and we would love to stay there, based on your review), but it's turning out to be significantly more expensive than the other three. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, though!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:01 am

I've stayed at the Hyatt at the Bellevue before, and will be there again later this week. The service is great, the rooms are big, and they sometimes have excellent promotions... my rate for two nights this week is $119 per nite.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
The FS is definitely far above those you've mentioned, but if it isn't in your budget consider an upgraded room at the Sofitel, which I would prefer definitely before the RC (which is just a big Marriott). They have even junked up their beautiful public space by cramming in too many revenue producing bar tables.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
The Rittenhouse is old, out of date and vastly overpriced. I would try the Sofitel, which is often overlooked and considered by some to be the best in the city.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by catwings01
the RC (which is just a big Marriott).
I must say I disagree here 100%. The RC is by far the most unique of the properties listed that I have stayed in multiple time (RC/FS/Rittenhouse)and to say it resembles a Marriott is among the most unfair statements I can remember on Flyertalk.

The FS, however, can be mistaken for a Marriott. It is as plain-jane as they come in the lobby and, unfortunately, in the rooms. The food is good though. As is the location depending on your needs. The service is hit or miss as is usual for North American FS properties.

The RC has its downfalls too, most notably so-so service and the fact that some of the entry category rooms are without tubs and dimly lit. At its worst, it dips below the FS and Rittenhouse. But if you choose wisely it can be a great hotel. At its best (with well chosen rooms or by simply booking the club) it is the best hotel in the city with some stunning views, very unique public spaces and great rooms.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Dec 28, 2010 at 5:41 am
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:28 pm

While likely anathema to this forum, I would also suggest you look at an upgraded room at the Westin. The hotel was constructed to be (and was) the former RC Philadelphia. In my opinion, Westin's takeover and renovation actually improved the hotel's facilities, and service is on par with lesser RCs --like Philadelphia's. Frankly, I'd say it is one of the best Westins in the US.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:01 pm

Wow, lots of diverse opinions here! It goes to show we need Luxury or DavidO to conduct a signature comparative study!

I would suggest if a club room at the Ritz Carlton is in the budget, that would provide a good experience. You'll have more staff support in the best location in the city. You may want to book directly with the hotel, as the rooms vary (some/all?) only have showers, etc. I also like the Sofitel: outstanding location, understated elegance, one of the more recent physical plants. One of the more tech savvy rooms in the city.

Respectfully, I don't agree with the Westin assessment. I think the change in ownership resulted in a loss of soul, and the service can be very uneven. I think the Four Seasons has an inferior location and location is important in Philadelphia. It is a shame that the Rittenhouse used to be hands-down winner, but has sunken very low.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
I think the Four Seasons has an inferior location and location is important in Philadelphia.
I am at a loss trying to understand how the FS is at an inferior location. Having just stayed there not too long ago, I found the location to be very convenient.

I lived in Philly for three years (studying at Penn) and know the city fairly well incidentally.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your replies!
It seems like we can get a Junior Suite at the Sofitel for the same rate as a regular room at the RC; we're looking into that.
I'm crossing off The Rittenhouse.
Have any of you heard of/had any experiences with the Rittenhouse 1715 (different from The Rittenhouse)? It seems like a great property, but we don't just want to book it and have it turn out to be a glorified B&B.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:37 am

I would definitely go for the Junior Suite at the Sofitel. The regular rooms in the RC are tired and boring. Nothing special, though the RC does have a fantastic lobby. The Sofitel is in a great central location. Though honestly, none of the Philly hotels will knock your socks off. Just go in with reasonable expectations.

And if you haven't been before, go to the Reading Terminal Market (www.readingterminalmarket.org) for some of the world's greatest comfort food. Go to the Dutch Eating Place there and order the Sloppy Joe and an Apple Dumpling (with heavy cream on top). It's an Amish place so only open Wed. - Sat. If you're not stuffed, get a Hope's Royale cookie at the Pennsylvania General Store and a chocolate-and-peanut-butter-covered pretzel at Chocolate By Mueller.

I'm missing Philly now!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I am at a loss trying to understand how the FS is at an inferior location. Having just stayed there not too long ago, I found the location to be very convenient.

I lived in Philly for three years (studying at Penn) and know the city fairly well incidentally.
I lived there for ten (hurrah for the red and the blue!); have you tried to walk anywhere from the Ben Franklin Parkway to anywhere interesting?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I lived there for ten (hurrah for the red and the blue!); have you tried to walk anywhere from the Ben Franklin Parkway to anywhere interesting?
Location for me (not a PHL resident!):
Rittenhouse (La Colombe proximity wins me over)>RC>FS
but the FS wasnt bad or anything. close to museums, etc. IIRC. But I'd take the Rhouse or Rc location over the FS any time.

Sound right PHLbuddy?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:39 pm

I found lots of things to walk to from the FS and found the location quite god actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.