Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
A few of the hotels in Singapore have upgrade at the time of booking via Virtuoso...Fullerton Bay and Ritz-Carlton Millenia for starters.
Thanks for the tip! I am booking with points, however, so I don't think it's possible to book via Virtuoso. That said, I am only vaguely familiar with Virtuoso, so I could be mistaken. I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by ajca
I have lived in Singapore for a long time and I would really strongly discourage even trying this at hotels in Singapore, especially luxury hotels. Singapore has spent the past half century working very hard to eliminate corruption from all levels of its society and this has been very successful. This is in stark contrast to its neighbours.

In Singapore, by sliding cash across the check-in counter and asking wink wink if any better rooms / suites are available, you are putting the front desk agent in a very uncomfortable position. In their eyes - and I'm sure in the eyes of Singapore law - you are effectively trying to bribe them to give you something that is of value to their employer.
I have also lived in Singapore for a little over four years in the past, and share the same reservations you do (though probably to a less extreme extent). This is part of what makes me ask whether it's even worth trying!

I believe that if you're going to travel to places, you will do well to make some effort to understand and respect their cultures.
This is what I'm trying to do by asking my question! I've lived on three different continents in some of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, so I'm well aware of the need to respect other people's cultures.

In any case, thanks for the input.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Tipping in SG is not required as the vast majority of hotels and F&B outlets do the job for you and tip themselves via the "Service Charge" (usually 10%, sometimes more) line item on the bill. The key difference being that there is zero transparency as to whether this forced tip - that you pay regardless of service level - actually goes to the service staff or into the manager's pocket.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Headed back to the RC SIN again on my next trip. My preferred room is 2326, anything along that line is very spacious and can't say no to a bathtub with a view. I have no complaints with the hotel, other than not earning nights/points for Bonvoy status.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Back to Singapore and I've once again decided on the I-C Singapore versus any of the luxe options. With my IHG free night certificates expiring, I just can't justify the delta between any of the 5* properties and the I-C, which has a great location + renovated rooms.

I almost pulled the trigger on FHB and the Capital Kempinski, but decided to save the money and use it for a splurge activity at Amanpulo instead!
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'd appreciate thoughts regarding which SIN luxury hotels will have the most peaceful public-space and room environments? Some of the luxury hotels seem to have a massive number of rooms, or are also positioned to draw day-tourists to their venues. We just want some peace and quiet when return to our hotel.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I'd appreciate thoughts regarding which SIN luxury hotels will have the most peaceful public-space and room environments? Some of the luxury hotels seem to have a massive number of rooms, or are also positioned to draw day-tourists to their venues. We just want some peace and quiet when return to our hotel.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Just a few data points:
- RC public spaces frequently overrun by conference guests and tour groups
- Fullerton Bay public spaces are beautifully designed but lots of random people wandering around for F&B, tourists gawking etc
- MO public spaces are small and dark and very dated
- Raffles staff are I think pretty good at keeping day tourists out of the actual hotel guest areas but there are a lot of people wandering around anywhere else
- I never much liked the FS or the SL but that was mostly because they had not aged at all well and the location is not so good unless you love shopping in Orchard, but I haven't been to either for a while and understand there's been renos happening

I always thought the IC (the original one in Bugis) has particularly beautiful and zen public spaces, and also very distinctively Asian design which you couldn't really say about any of the above. Actually awesome service at club level and the shophouse rooms/suites are fantastic. An alternative that's worth keeping in mind in Singapore imho.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Won't create a whole separate thread for this one as I was only there for 1 night and and it was close to a year ago, plus not THAT many pics etc to share though I do have a couple of 360s - unfortunately, I am IN these 360s...I promise I won't be next time (finally got the Bluetooth on the 360 working, and also cleaned up the lens for any scratches etc) - and a video.

But here is my short review from The Fullerton Bay Hotel: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:02 am

Just a few data points:
- RC public spaces frequently overrun by conference guests and tour groups
- Fullerton Bay public spaces are beautifully designed but lots of random people wandering around for F&B, tourists gawking etc
- MO public spaces are small and dark and very dated
- Raffles staff are I think pretty good at keeping day tourists out of the actual hotel guest areas but there are a lot of people wandering around anywhere else
- I never much liked the FS or the SL but that was mostly because they had not aged at all well and the location is not so good unless you love shopping in Orchard, but I haven't been to either for a while and understand there's been renos happening

I always thought the IC (the original one in Bugis) has particularly beautiful and zen public spaces, and also very distinctively Asian design which you couldn't really say about any of the above. Actually awesome service at club level and the shophouse rooms/suites are fantastic. An alternative that's worth keeping in mind in Singapore imho.
Thanks for taking the time to share your views.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

Best Wing in Raffles Singapore?

I'm seeking informed advice about the best wing to stay in at the Raffles Singapore. From looking at the website and map, it looks like the most Bras Basah wing is nearby the touristy parts of the hotel, and if we wanted to be away from that, we should seek out the Courtyard or Palm Court side?

Many thanks for your insights.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:35 pm

Palm court suites are very quiet.
The new Residence suites seem nice but the Arcade side is probably noisy.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:52 am

Raffles Confirmed Upgrade at time of Booking

FYI, I just had Chase's LHRC program make a reservation for me at the Raffles. When I was looking through the LHRC website, they claimed that there would be a one-category upgrade at time of booking. I called into LHRC and had an agent contact the hotel to confirm this. What happened is that I reserved an X category room, and then the hotel sent me an email confirming that I was in X+1 category. All the benefits listed include:

-Buffet Breakfast for two daily in Tiffin Room
-$100 USD Hotel Dining credit, once during stay (To be used at all food and beverage outlets operated by Raffles)
-Guaranteed Late Check-Out, 3:00 PM
-Early Check-In, 12:00 noon (subject to availability)
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Currently at the RC for just one night. Trying out several hotels to see which is right for me since I'm coming again in November. Booked via FHR. Hotel lowballs the exchange pretty hard on the 100 USD credit (120 SGD) but since it's such a ridiculous perk on a one night stay I didn't fight them on it. They upgraded me from standard room to a Marina Bay view room which I appreciated. However, the room air conditioning was abysmal and I could not get the temperature below 23.5C which was just unacceptable. Maintenance tried to fix it and it didn't do anything. Also, the fit and finish of things can be really poor in some places. One of the wall switch panels in the bathroom pulled out of the wall when I turned the knob. On another note, can anyone tell me what the knob does?
https://imgur.com/a/Bk5mboO

Anyway, because of the AC they moved me to a Premier Marina Bay Suite which is a very nice upgrade. I'm not sure I'll return here in November though. Nothing really screams luxury any more than the suite I had at the JW Marriott and there's the whole trade-off of not earning 17.5 Marriott points per dollar plus 10 Amex MR per dollar through ebates. Will have to wait to see how Fullerton Bay and Shangri-La work out for me though.
reigndrop likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
We had an excellent at the Fullerton Bay Hotel in May. Managed a very early check-in and enjoyed the room, location, breakfast, bar, and service. Would highly recommend.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
........ One of the wall switch panels in the bathroom pulled out of the wall when I turned the knob. On another note, can anyone tell me what the knob does?
https://imgur.com/a/Bk5mboO

Audio / radio volume level in the bathroom would be my guess
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm back at the RC SIN. This time instead of the normal upgrade, they upgraded me to an even larger 1BR suite. They always take care of me at this property, I like the location and I find it very comfortable and reasonably priced. STILL my pick and they have my continued loyalty.
Boraxo and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.