Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric

Writing from the Capitol Kempinski pool

i arrived yesterday evening, the location is very convenient as it is a short walk from City Hall MRT station. I checked in a terrace room. It is nice, but the terrace is useless as it is quite narrow with no view (wall is pretty high) and it is not furnished. I asked to see something larger and decided to move to a Stamford Suite. It is lovely with high ceiling, little natural light but a very original lay out. You enter right through the bathroom which is a third of the suite area, then small living area and the bedroom. Kind of open plan with sliding wood panels / doors.

The Capitol building houses mainly rooms and the swimming pool + small gym (spa is not operating yet) and the Stamford building is dedicated to suites and main public areas.

Overall I would pick up the best room category under terrace rooms (actually some rooms do have a balcony and I don’t see the added value of terrace rooms) or a Stamford suite. The pool is probably too small yet very quiet (20 rooms operating out of 150+).

Thank you for this, Cédric!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:33 am

Brunch at Capella Singapore - October 2018

The Capella offers a Sunday brunch at The Knolls. For S$[178]++ there is free flow champagne which recently changed to Billecart-Salmon Brut Réserve which was great.
https://www.capellahotels.com/en/cap...ing/the-knolls

Duck and suckling pig

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Have you checked in with a VIrtuoso agent? The Virtuoso rate on Fullerton Bay Hotel is often cheaper than BAR/available rate online, and also includes a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking. The size is inconsequential unless you need it for a very, very specific reason (also you'll be out most of the time, and Fullerton Bay's rooms are generously sized anyway).

Pretty much everything at Fullerton Bay is spot on (bizarrely don't like the themed suites much), and it's a great location too.
I agree, we had a 1 night layover in Singapore on the way back from Bali in may, and even though on weekends they dont let you book 1 night directly, if you use a virtuoso agent like @BESVISOR we were able to book a single night with a free upgrade and $100 dining credit thanks to his connections. Location of the hotel is perfect, easy to get around to anything, balcony views were great, we didnt have any noise problems like previously stated. Rooftop bar/pool area was great as well, especially in the humidity. Room was very nice, a bit cozy after coming back from villas in Bali but pretty spacious for a big city hotel. They had cell phones in the room you could go out with which was great for navigation. One of the better breakfasts I had as well and great staff in general.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I found this thread hoping for some consensus but evidently Singapore hotels are a very divisive topic. Does anyone have advice on where, either FHR/Virtuoso catalog or SPG/Marriott, would be most optimal for a first-time three night visit in late Nov '19. Coming off a redeye from HND so it'd be nice to find a property that would let me get in early and take a shower. I wouldn't be opposed to switching hotels after the first or second night either since I find it interesting to compare multiple hotels in a city and stacking FHR/Virtuoso food credits is always fun. Hard product is most important factor for me, especially seeing some of the reports here about outdated or poorly maintained properties. Price doesn't really matter.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:43 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I found this thread hoping for some consensus but evidently Singapore hotels are a very divisive topic. Does anyone have advice on where, either FHR/Virtuoso catalog or SPG/Marriott, would be most optimal for a first-time three night visit in late Nov '19. Coming off a redeye from HND so it'd be nice to find a property that would let me get in early and take a shower. I wouldn't be opposed to switching hotels after the first or second night either since I find it interesting to compare multiple hotels in a city and stacking FHR/Virtuoso food credits is always fun. Hard product is most important factor for me, especially seeing some of the reports here about outdated or poorly maintained properties. Price doesn't really matter.
Based on your needs, I'd say The Fullerton Bay is the best option. Great location for first time visitors and walking distances to many of the attractions. Better/newer hard product than most. The roof top outdoor pool has a great view and bar. Booking via Virtuoso agents can get you $100 food credit and upgrade at booking. I wouldn't change hotels, and stay at the Fullerton Bay all 3 nights as nothing else is really worth moving for....While the hotel scene in Singapore isn't fabulous, you'll love the food and city itself! One of the best
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I found this thread hoping for some consensus but evidently Singapore hotels are a very divisive topic..
Well, on FT there's rarely full consensus on anythiing ;-). But following the flow of this thread for the last few months or so, it's pretty clear that FBH is the place to stay in Singapore for now. I've tried FS, Shangri-La Valley Wing and one other over the last few years, but am excited to try FBH. Just booked in direct for four nights in January at a prepaid rate that, unfortunately, neither FHR nor Virtuoso could touch, even taking into account benefits and upgrade. Looking forward and will report.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Well, on FT there's rarely full consensus on anythiing ;-). But following the flow of this thread for the last few months or so, it's pretty clear that FBH is the place to stay in Singapore for now. I've tried FS, Shangri-La Valley Wing and one other over the last few years, but am excited to try FBH. Just booked in direct for four nights in January at a prepaid rate that, unfortunately, neither FHR nor Virtuoso could touch, even taking into account benefits and upgrade. Looking forward and will report.
I am not sure why anyone will say FBH has a good location. It's not near or connected to anything. It's not connected to the MRT. Sure, it's walking distance to Raffles Place and MBS Shoppes but that's like 10 and 20 mins walk and under Singapore hot humid weather, no thanks. So basically you need a taxi to get around and while taxi fares in Singapore are reasonable, they always collectively disappear when it rains. The hard product I recalled was good though but I stayed there couple of years ago so not sure how's their maintenance. The room rates in my opinion are overpriced for Singapore.

Of course everyone has their favourite hotel. Mine is the RC Millenia. It's connected to everything, with the MRT station steps away, right opposite to Suntec city and just cross the street to reach the massive MBS shoppes. I can also testify that the F&B is excellent and the Colony restaurant served possibly the best buffet in Singapore. Also lots and lots of eating option all around including the connected Marina Shopping mall for local food. Hard Product is good especially if you book the premier suite.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
There’s infrequently a consensus on FT about anything. There’s even less likely a consensus about what is the best luxury hotel in Singapore. It’s pretty clear that Singapore doesn’t have an obvious best hotel.

There are some trying to proclaim the Fullerton Bay Hotel as Singapore’s best, but that’s really a stretch. There are way too many who have shared too many negatives herein. It may be the favorite for some, but I think not for most.

There are some who prefer the RC Millenium. And many others who strongly dislike it.

There are some who prefer the newly renovated Raffles. And many others who don’t think it’s as good as advertised. Or too formal.

There are some who prefer the St Regis. And many others who strongly dislike it.

There are some who prefer the Marina Bay Sands. And many more who strongly dislike it...and think its massive size precludes it from any sense of luxury.

There are some who prefer the Andaz. And many others who don’t like it or don’t think it’s really luxury.

There are a very few who strangely prefer the Four Seasons. And tons who understandably detest it. I assume one must be a major FS fanboy to somehow like this one after seeing recent reviews. These people also must believe the FS Sydney is wonderful.
BENLEE likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Havent got chance to try RC Millenia Walk although I visit the area very often (their non participation in RCR makes me prefer to book other hotel)

Raffles seems to push back their opening times to mid 2019

St Regis ... while I stay here often, their service sometimes are quite below expectation

Never try MBS but the massive size of the hotel puts me off .... feels like staying at Las Vegas huge resorts

The FS Sg, somehow all my Singaporean friends hate it.

The Fullerton hotel .... its actually very nice building.

edit
Planned to visit SG this December and try the new Kempinski ... but some unplanned events makes the visit impossible.
​​​​​​​Maybe next time
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhrubin
There’s infrequently a consensus on FT about anything. There’s even less likely a consensus about what is the best luxury hotel in Singapore. It’s pretty clear that Singapore doesn’t have an obvious best hotel.

There are some trying to proclaim the Fullerton Bay Hotel as Singapore’s best, but that’s really a stretch. There are way too many who have shared too many negatives herein. It may be the favorite for some, but I think not for most.

There are some who prefer the RC Millenium. And many others who strongly dislike it.

There are some who prefer the newly renovated Raffles. And many others who don’t think it’s as good as advertised. Or too formal.

There are some who prefer the St Regis. And many others who strongly dislike it.

There are some who prefer the Marina Bay Sands. And many more who strongly dislike it...and think its massive size precludes it from any sense of luxury.

There are some who prefer the Andaz. And many others who don’t like it or don’t think it’s really luxury.

There are a very few who strangely prefer the Four Seasons. And tons who understandably detest it. I assume one must be a major FS fanboy to somehow like this one after seeing recent reviews. These people also must believe the FS Sydney is wonderful.
For the record, I like FS Singapore but did not at all like Sydney!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:07 pm

Finalized my Singapore hotels. Budget became a concern since I added a Tokyo leg to my trip and decided to go all out with an Aman stay. I'm going to be doing 1 night at the Marina Bay Sands with a standard room but sky view. Then moving to the Andaz for 3 nights with their base room booked via Hyatt Prive and cross fingers for a decent upgrade.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone tried the new FS rooms? I've always read here that service was great but hard product was lacking
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT

Good summary, bhrubin

I have yet to stay at a Singapore luxury hotel that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Btw - what's your choice there?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Good summary, bhrubin

I have yet to stay at a Singapore luxury hotel that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Btw - what's your choice there?
Thanks. We are most likely to stay at the St Regis. As there’s no obvious best luxury option, it’s to my advantage to stick with my preferred St Regis and its butler service I so enjoy (not to mention my Ambassador elite status likely getting me elevated treatment and nice upgrades, to boot).
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:48 am

I am one such FS fanboy, and am proud to be such. I think the difference in opinion about this property may have to do with whether one chooses hotels primarily based on the physical plant, or if service is more important. It is by no means a particularly exciting hotel, but Four Seasons service standards and smaller size (relative to larger competition) do give it an advantage among the other similarly unexcitng hotels in Singapore. I do, however, draw the line at FS Sydney. It is perhaps the only FS I have zero interest in. Like Singapore, Sydney for some reason is full of rather lackluster hotels. The Park Hyatt is acceptable in my opinion, although its view is about the best thing it has going for it.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.