Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:17 pm

Looking to book my hotel next year and I have completely mixed feelings about which hotel to choose. Staying a total of 4 nights in Singapore. Doing the first night at the Marina Bay Sands for the pool. The next three nights I'm trying to choose between

Andaz - Great hard product, but subpar service
Ritz Carlton - Great service but subpar hard product (I also have my Ritz Carlton Club Lounge passes. Are they usable at the RC Singapore?)
Four Seasons - Just remodeled, on Orchard Road (is this an area with things to do or just shopping?)
St. Regis - Orchard road as well
MO Singapore - Heard it was pretty standard
Fullerton Hotel - Heard not as good as Bay but much cheaper?

What would you guys pick?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:12 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by phant0m
Looking to book my hotel next year and I have completely mixed feelings about which hotel to choose. Staying a total of 4 nights in Singapore. Doing the first night at the Marina Bay Sands for the pool. The next three nights I'm trying to choose between

Ritz Carlton - Great service but subpar hard product (I also have my Ritz Carlton Club Lounge passes. Are they usable at the RC Singapore?)
Four Seasons - Just remodeled, on Orchard Road (is this an area with things to do or just shopping?)

I personally liked my stay at Fullerton Bay Hotel. We booked one of the corner lower rooms with the hot tub but it was never hot and can't be heated, so aside from that huge disappointment, we loved it. I like being in the M. Bay. area and love the views of course, though, touristy. The rooftop pool is wonderful but it does attract a lot of non-staying guests for lunch and dinners. Not sure if that's an issue for you.

We've been to the MO and RC and it's simply way too old at this point. RC's rooms are spacious, though and they just got a new pool in but no views from it. MO's pool is great!

I've had clients at the FS since renovations and they were all happy with it but nothing to write home about.

Overall, an underwhelming luxury hotel market but I go for the city and its food!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I personally liked my stay at Fullerton Bay Hotel. We booked one of the corner lower rooms with the hot tub but it was never hot and can't be heated, so aside from that huge disappointment, we loved it. I like being in the M. Bay. area and love the views of course, though, touristy. The rooftop pool is wonderful but it does attract a lot of non-staying guests for lunch and dinners. Not sure if that's an issue for you.

We've been to the MO and RC and it's simply way too old at this point. RC's rooms are spacious, though and they just got a new pool in but no views from it. MO's pool is great!

I've had clients at the FS since renovations and they were all happy with it but nothing to write home about.

Overall, an underwhelming luxury hotel market but I go for the city and its food!
Fullerton Bay is looking to be the best choice right now but definitely more expensive than all of the rest. I'll keep tabs on pricing til my trip in July.

For about $200 SGD cheaper, I can book a 76 sq meter suite at the Andaz with a potential upgrade to the 114 sq suite so I'm leaning towards that. Only thing that makes he hesitant are the reviews that note service issues.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:27 pm

I live in Singapore, and have visited/stayed in almost all these hotels when family + friends come to visit. My favorite hotel of the lot is the Fullerton Bay. Best views of the bay if you get one of the first floor water rooms, beautiful designed hotel with great breakfast and service. Rooms are on the smaller side, but well furnished. I appreciate that they tried to imbue some "Singaporeaness" into the hotel as well, which can't be said about a lot of the options here... Runner up would probably be Ritz Carlton. Nice hotel and the rooms with views of the bay are good, but nothing special design-wise as you pointed out. Location isn't as enviable as the Fullerton Bay either, despite being right around the corner from it (at the cross section of two major roads). Four Seasons has a good location for shopping but such a standard boring designed hotel... meh, not for me. Mandarin Oriental was ok when my parents stayed there. Ended up getting upgraded five (!) room categories because they badly messed up a few times... Hotel is nice enough but nothing special, and service was subpar unfortunately (maybe this has improved since?). St Regis location is very odd, whenever I pass it going into town I'm always so confused why they decided to put a luxury hotel there. Would not recommend based on location alone. I've never personally stayed at the Fullerton, but have visited quite a few times. Nice historic charm if you're into that (unfortunately I'm more of a modernist myself), but good location regardless. I don't like that Andaz is in a big complex, but the hard product is very new and shiny. Location is fairly good for accessibility (near Bugis), but the immediate area around the hotel itself isn't all too much. The Raffles is opening very soon, and is bound to be something super special. If you want a true Singapore experience, this is not to be missed but will inevitably be the most expensive option in Singapore.

Out of your options, I'd say Ritz or Fullerton for location, probably Andaz for the hard product (unless your budget can extend to the Fullerton Bay, in which I'd recommend that for all the above).

In terms of location, to me the downtown core (a la Fullerton Bay) location is unbeatable for a tourist. Great area to just walk around an explore, close to Downtown, Chinatown (best food!), Little India, Orchard, etc. Orchard is just a bunch of (really nice) shopping malls; great if you want to shop, not so much for anything else. I dare say that not even that good of food is in the Orchard area, so I generally avoid... The main "attractions" in Singapore are going to be the various neighborhoods and cultures to explore, especially the food! Enjoy, and let me know if you want any more recs/advice on location
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:56 am

Just a reminder that the Capitol Kempinski opens on October 1st. Yes, Kempinski is the Kardashian of the hotel world; however, the Capitol looks to be strikingly beautiful. And I bet there will be some really good opening specials.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:26 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Fullerton Bay is looking to be the best choice right now but definitely more expensive than all of the rest. I'll keep tabs on pricing til my trip in July.

For about $200 SGD cheaper, I can book a 76 sq meter suite at the Andaz with a potential upgrade to the 114 sq suite so I'm leaning towards that. Only thing that makes he hesitant are the reviews that note service issues.
Have you checked in with a VIrtuoso agent? The Virtuoso rate on Fullerton Bay Hotel is often cheaper than BAR/available rate online, and also includes a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking. The size is inconsequential unless you need it for a very, very specific reason (also you'll be out most of the time, and Fullerton Bay's rooms are generously sized anyway).

Pretty much everything at Fullerton Bay is spot on (bizarrely don't like the themed suites much), and it's a great location too.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Sep 29, 2018 at 2:34 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by bsb10
The Raffles is opening very soon, and is bound to be something super special. If you want a true Singapore experience, this is not to be missed but will inevitably be the most expensive option in Singapore.
For sure it will be my choice when it is open. Can’t wait to see the new suites.

Originally Posted by Vaterland
Just a reminder that the Capitol Kempinski opens on October 1st. Yes, Kempinski is the Kardashian of the hotel world; however, the Capitol looks to be strikingly beautiful. And I bet there will be some really good opening specials.
I am supposed to try mid-October but still not very enthusiastic.
I may change my reservation.
scented likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Have you checked in with a VIrtuoso agent? The Virtuoso rate on Fullerton Bay Hotel is often cheaper than BAR/available rate online, and also includes a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking. The size is inconsequential unless you need it for a very, very specific reason (also you'll be out most of the time, and Fullerton Bay's rooms are generously sized anyway).

Pretty much everything at Fullerton Bay is spot on (bizarrely don't like the themed suites much), and it's a great location too.
Yeah I actually am one myself and the prepaid non refundable rate from Fullerton Bay is the cheapest I've been able to see with them.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric

For sure it will be my choice when it is open. Can’t wait to see the new suites.

I am supposed to try mid-October but still not very enthusiastic.
I may change my reservation.
i have a booking around Christmas, big fan of Kempinski (not all of them), and much looking forward reading some reviews....
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Stayed at the RC for the 3rd or 4th time. Huge rooms, nice views of the marina and downtown core. It's not run down at all. Still my favorite.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I also like the Ritz in Singapore if a Marina view. I have stayed there many times over the years and will be back in December. I've tried many hotels in Singapore including Fullerton Bay. My problem with Fullerton Bay was the noise. Noise was ricocheting across the bay and it was hard to sleep. ( I'm a light sleeper). I would not go back for that reason as I want the view and those rooms were noisy when I was there. Maybe it's not always an issue? I have to think it is a hard problem to fix.

Years ago i liked the Valley wing at the Shangri la but haven't stayed there in some time as prefer the Marina views. Never cared for the MO.

Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:15 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Stayed at the RC for the 3rd or 4th time. Huge rooms, nice views of the marina and downtown core. It's not run down at all. Still my favorite.
Interesting! I thought it was:
1. Badly, badly dated (that sofa belongs in the 80s)
2. Very poorly maintained (squeaking/creaking floors among many other issues).
scented and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Interesting! I thought it was:
1. Badly, badly dated (that sofa belongs in the 80s)
2. Very poorly maintained (squeaking/creaking floors among many other issues).
Can't speak to all the rooms, but neither of these were concerns in the room they gave me.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
i have a booking around Christmas, big fan of Kempinski (not all of them), and much looking forward reading some reviews....
Writing from the Capitol Kempinski pool

i arrived yesterday evening, the location is very convenient as it is a short walk from City Hall MRT station. I checked in a terrace room. It is nice, but the terrace is useless as it is quite narrow with no view (wall is pretty high) and it is not furnished. I asked to see something larger and decided to move to a Stamford Suite. It is lovely with high ceiling, little natural light but a very original lay out. You enter right through the bathroom which is a third of the suite area, then small living area and the bedroom. Kind of open plan with sliding wood panels / doors.

The Capitol building houses mainly rooms and the swimming pool + small gym (spa is not operating yet) and the Stamford building is dedicated to suites and main public areas.

Overall I would pick up the best room category under terrace rooms (actually some rooms do have a balcony and I don’t see the added value of terrace rooms) or a Stamford suite. The pool is probably too small yet very quiet (20 rooms operating out of 150+).

vuittonsofstyle and scented like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
I also like the Ritz in Singapore if a Marina view. I have stayed there many times over the years and will be back in December. I've tried many hotels in Singapore including Fullerton Bay. My problem with Fullerton Bay was the noise. Noise was ricocheting across the bay and it was hard to sleep. ( I'm a light sleeper). I would not go back for that reason as I want the view and those rooms were noisy when I was there. Maybe it's not always an issue? I have to think it is a hard problem to fix.

Years ago i liked the Valley wing at the Shangri la but haven't stayed there in some time as prefer the Marina views. Never cared for the MO.

Returning to Valley Wing at the end of November after receiving very poor service last time, hope they have sorted themselves out after Trump's stay! MO has a great pool area and views but service is poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.