Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by m3red

RE MO Singapore: yes I’ve said it before - a dystopian prison! Very uninviting
No no. Much worse than that. By a wide margin, the ugliest, most uninviting lobby in the world. Just a garish assault on the senses -- all in a bad way. Hated it there, but I didn't last very long before I ran head first into the dress code and moved next door to the RC.

PS -- The fact that the FS, with its dark, prison-ish rooms is even on the list of 'good hotels in Singapore' speaks loudly how wretched the hotel situation is in this city.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:16 am

Shangri-La Hotel and Pan Pacific Orchard are one of recommended hotels of Singapore. I always used to stay there whenever I schedule to visit to Singapore. Such a good experience!... Quality with good price.

--------------------
Toronto Airport Limo
Toronto Airport Limousines
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
No no. Much worse than that. By a wide margin, the ugliest, most uninviting lobby in the world. Just a garish assault on the senses -- all in a bad way. Hated it there, but I didn't last very long before I ran head first into the dress code and moved next door to the RC.

PS -- The fact that the FS, with its dark, prison-ish rooms is even on the list of 'good hotels in Singapore' speaks loudly how wretched the hotel situation is in this city.
Have you been to the FS post renovation?

Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wedding96
I'm not sure why people are so negative about Singapore hotels. The FBH is well situated and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a room on the first floor at water level facing the bay. The interior of each room is constructed with very high-end materials and the complimentary cell phone comes in handy.
My guess is that too many cannot imagine a city without a MO or FS being excellent or the best. There clearly are other excellent hotels in town, but some people cannot see beyond their preferred brands. If their preferred brands don't cut the mustard, it's easier to blame it on the entire market.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by bhrubin
My guess is that too many cannot imagine a city without a MO or FS being excellent or the best. There clearly are other excellent hotels in town, but some people cannot see beyond their preferred brands. If their preferred brands don't cut the mustard, it's easier to blame it on the entire market.
I've stayed at FBH. The food was poor; the AC broke down. The MBS facing rooms get the noise from the nightclub across the bay. Disliked FBH, but prefer it to the MO.

I must be missing something. I've been to the FS, RC, St Regis, Fullerton, FBH, MO, Pan Pacific, Shangri La (valley), and Raffles. Not one of these hotels would make it into the top 10 if in HK.
synd likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I've stayed at FBH. The food was poor; the AC broke down. The MBS facing rooms get the noise from the nightclub across the bay. Disliked FBH, but prefer it to the MO.

I must be missing something. I've been to the FS, RC, St Regis, Fullerton, FBH, MO, Pan Pacific, Shangri La (valley), and Raffles. Not one of these hotels would make it into the top 10 if in HK.
Haha. All fair points. Of course, few or none of the the top hotels in Boston, DC, Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, or even Beijing likely make it in the top 10 in Hong Kong, either (or Paris. London. New York, etc).. Singapore just isn’t quite one of those cities, much as some might wish otherwise.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 14, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:21 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Hmm, not too many though. I'd say it really is a place where hotels aren't really that good.
synd and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Haha. All fair points. Of course, few or none of the the top hotels in Boston, DC, Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, or even Beijing likely make it in the top 10 in Hong Kong, either (or Paris. London. New York, etc).. Singapore just isn’t quite one of those cities, much as some might wish otherwise.
Beijing surely -- there are some stunning properties there. The Aman Summer Palace would easily be top 10 - if not top 3 - in HK. Rosewood and Opposite House are amazing properties as well, just to mention a few.

Agreed on the other cities though, but Singapore should be compared to other Asian cities, not Western ones where circumstances are completely different.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:41 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Beijing surely -- there are some stunning properties there. The Aman Summer Palace would easily be top 10 - if not top 3 - in HK. Rosewood and Opposite House are amazing properties as well, just to mention a few.

Agreed on the other cities though, but Singapore should be compared to other Asian cities, not Western ones where circumstances are completely different.
Agree that the Rosewood would most defiantly be considered a top 10 option in HK as well. Ready for HK to open its own this year

The Peninsula Beijing, post renovation and all suites looks great as well!
0bsidian likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:59 am

I can only imagine what an unmitigated disaster it would be if bhrubin’s airconditioning malfunctioned in Sigapore heat!

I am of the belief that Singapore hotel standards are objectively not particularly high, which is a mystery to me considering the city’s wealth and popularity as a travel destination.
​​​
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I can only imagine what an unmitigated disaster it would be if bhrubin’s airconditioning malfunctioned in Sigapore heat!
That's not even funny to suggest.

I am of the belief that Singapore hotel standards are objectively not particularly high, which is a mystery to me considering the city’s wealth and popularity as a travel destination.
Personally, I am of the firm belief that Singapore's high heat and humidity are directly responsible for the concomitant belief that Singapore's hotel standards are not particularly high. Everyone's brains are so baked that they can't think straight. Of course, I have no explanation for why that isn't just as true in Bangkok.

My guess is that culture plays a big role. Just like Germany is wealthy even as German hospitality is not world-renown, I assume Singapore is wealthy even as its hospitality culture is distinct, as well.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:48 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
That's not even funny to suggest.

Personally, I am of the firm belief that Singapore's high heat and humidity are directly responsible for the concomitant belief that Singapore's hotel standards are not particularly high. Everyone's brains are so baked that they can't think straight. Of course, I have no explanation for why that isn't just as true in Bangkok.

My guess is that culture plays a big role. Just like Germany is wealthy even as German hospitality is not world-renown, I assume Singapore is wealthy even as its hospitality culture is distinct, as well.
But then that latter argument falls in Hong Kong. Hong Kong isn't a very hospitable place and the locals aren't particularly known for their warm, welcoming standards. Yet Hong Kong has excellent hotels. Even in summer when it's humidity and heat rivals that of Singapore's!
callmedtop likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
But then that latter argument falls in Hong Kong. Hong Kong isn't a very hospitable place and the locals aren't particularly known for their warm, welcoming standards. Yet Hong Kong has excellent hotels. Even in summer when it's humidity and heat rivals that of Singapore's!
It's always hot and humid in Singapore (and Bangkok). It isn't always hot and humid in Hong Kong.

Of course, I'm teasing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:24 pm

Funnily enough one of the best services (in term of "soft services") I've received in Singapore was in a 4* hotel (albeit one of the best ones in that category) - while most of my experiences with 5* properties in Singapore at least had some areas to be desired. Not that they're bad.

But in other cities, I've made - on average - better experience with 5* properties, than in Singapore.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Funnily enough one of the best services (in term of "soft services") I've received in Singapore was in a 4* hotel (albeit one of the best ones in that category) - while most of my experiences with 5* properties in Singapore at least had some areas to be desired. Not that they're bad.

But in other cities, I've made - on average - better experience with 5* properties, than in Singapore.
I remember reading that about Singapore 25, years ago "the top 4 star hotels try much harder to please than the 5 star hotels"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.