Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ajca
I have lived in Singapore for a long time and I would really strongly discourage even trying this at hotels in Singapore, especially luxury hotels. Singapore has spent the past half century working very hard to eliminate corruption from all levels of its society and this has been very successful. This is in stark contrast to its neighbours.

In Singapore, by sliding cash across the check-in counter and asking wink wink if any better rooms / suites are available, you are putting the front desk agent in a very uncomfortable position. In their eyes - and I'm sure in the eyes of Singapore law - you are effectively trying to bribe them to give you something that is of value to their employer.

I believe that if you're going to travel to places, you will do well to make some effort to understand and respect their cultures. Singapore is literally the worst place in the world that I can think of to try this. Tipping is not a part of the culture like it is in the US - in Singapore customer service staff are paid a living wage and a fixed % service charge is included in every bill you pay.
While I agree with you, I think that your points go well beyond Singapore and that the "$20 bill" recommendation is absurd anyway. It has nothing to do with a tip, it is very much corruption. A tip is something you give after good service to thank people for having been nice to you, not in advance in order to try and get something in return. There is nothing "tip" whatsoever about that ridiculous suggestion, it is all about telling the reception people "if the upgrade is worth 50 to your hotel, I'll give it 20, you keep it to yourself, and the hotel does not need to know about it". It is cheap and immoral in my view.
deer and scented like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Some pics of the RC Singapore to further encourage you to book w them haha

orbitmic and BENLEE like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Nice pics! @GetSetJetSet

The RC Millenia is also my favourite in Singapore. I go back again and again. They often upgrade me to Premier Suite and sometimes the 1BR Suite. Very Spacious and nice.

Best Bathroom with a view.

orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Nice pics! @GetSetJetSet

The RC Millenia is also my favourite in Singapore. I go back again and again. They often upgrade me to Premier Suite and sometimes the 1BR Suite. Very Spacious and nice.

Best Bathroom with a view.

^ a great bathtub goes a long way!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:45 am

Will be there for National Singapore Day and looks like Fullerton is double the price due to fireworks in the harbor. What other hotels should we consider? Just sent inquiries to RC and MO. We are only in Singapore for 3 nights to get rid of jet lag before Amanjiwo and Amankila. But my kids want to see some sights...
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Jaykay05
Will be there for National Singapore Day and looks like Fullerton is double the price due to fireworks in the harbor. What other hotels should we consider? Just sent inquiries to RC and MO. We are only in Singapore for 3 nights to get rid of jet lag before Amanjiwo and Amankila. But my kids want to see some sights...
Raffles is repopening on August 1st and they have special rates.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:09 pm

Yup! Can you see the fireworks from Raffles? There is a significant price drop in the non viewing hotels.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Jaykay05
Yup! Can you see the fireworks from Raffles? There is a significant price drop in the non viewing hotels.
Not really, the best hotel for seeing the fireworks would be the Swissotel The Stamford but I guess all rooms facing the Padang are fully booked. And it's not luxury at all.

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Jul 5, 2019 at 3:33 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I'm booked into the Foue Seasons in November. Worth it to switch to the Raffles now that it's renovated?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by sophialite
I'm booked into the Foue Seasons in November. Worth it to switch to the Raffles now that it's renovated?
I will give Raffles some time to get over the expected teething issues. That said, the Four Seasons in Singapore is rather mediocre, despite the room refresh.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:13 am

Finished my Asia trip and finally back home. I did one night at the Marina Bay Sands and 3 at the Andaz. The Marina Bay Sands is actually really nice. I would consider staying there for my whole trip next time. It's very much "Vegas" like on their property and is in the heart of the action. No complaints about the Andaz. Great rooms and great breakfast. Pool is much quieter vs. MBS.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I will give Raffles some time to get over the expected teething issues. That said, the Four Seasons in Singapore is rather mediocre, despite the room refresh.
i chose Four Seasons because of the third night offer and I’m definitely kicking myself a bit. Probably should have gone with Fullerton Bay which was my first choice. But too late now. Hopefully the service will shine.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I’ll probably change my booking to the raffles.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by phant0m
Finished my Asia trip and finally back home. I did one night at the Marina Bay Sands and 3 at the Andaz. The Marina Bay Sands is actually really nice. I would consider staying there for my whole trip next time. It's very much "Vegas" like on their property and is in the heart of the action. No complaints about the Andaz. Great rooms and great breakfast. Pool is much quieter vs. MBS.
The hardware is awesome at the MBS, but it's like a zoo! I'll still take my girlfriend there for 2 nights for the mandatory pool experience and the awesome location, but I can't stand queueing for everything at a 5-star hotel. For me the MBS is more of a landmark you have to visit / stay at once, and the only hotel I've ever been to where I felt club access was mandatory when eating breakfast.

What do people think of the St. Regis?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by Cyan123
Just returned from 4 nights at the Shangri La Valley Wing even though I said I would not return after the last stay. Allocated our usual room with balcony on the top floor and they managed to remember that we have stayed many times before with a welcome back greeting. Check in was quick and late check was arranged without asking, luggage taken up and champagne delivered.

Room perfect as usual.

Breakfast was excellent and service has drastically improved, there are now two French managers wandering around with Ipads.

After a few hours shopping we made it back in time for Afternoon Tea which unfortunately was a disaster. Although they have brought in more staff we had to get up 4 times to get anything and what they served was not good. One of the managers came to apologise at breakfast the next day and said they are still having staff problems and on explaining to him what should be served for an Afternoon Tea he informed us that he previously worked at The Peninsular in Hong Kong.....obviously not in The Lobby! Service did improve and finally on the last day everything was perfect.

They have now decided to put up a large sign stating the dress code which has become stricter and it was not pleasant watching the staff send families off the canteen style restaurant in the other wing when they arrived in casual clothing for breakfast. You can also see them looking you up and down as you walk up which I find extremely annoying.

Which restaurant is the one with a formal dress code for breakfast? Looking their website, it seems that only one of the restaurants is open for breakfast?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.