FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1153670-best-luxury-hotel-singapore-consolidated-thread.html)

mike_la_jolla Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 28108169)
The pool at the Fullerton Bay looks cool.

But it is in a public area. I still think the best pool in SG is Raffles.

BESVISOR Mar 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by SilverGGA (Post 28108150)
Looking for 4 nights during November for a family of 4 - kids are 7 and 3. We are very intrigued by the pool at Marina Bay Sands.

1) Checked a few hotel booking program (Chase CSR and Visa Signature) and MBS does not seem to be in these programs. Any way to book MBS with room upgrade?

2) We are the type that prefer local food instead of hotel food. We would rather eat at the hawkers than fancy high tea in the hotel

3) Any other recommendation instead of MBS? Everything else being equal, the pool seems very interesting and I believe the kids would love it

I would not suggest MBS...I'd say Fullerton Bay Hotel to be the much better option. Upgrade at booking isn't an issue with any of us who are Virtuoso Advisors...Also, the Fullerton Bay is a 5 minute walk to a hawker station for local street food, so that should work well for your family, too.

Cheers!

shuigao Mar 31, 2017 7:08 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh (Post 28108440)
... they offer complimentary bicycles, which is our favorite way to explore a city. The bikes would be our main reason to choose this hotel.

You're moving from winter/spring (where your bodies are accustomed to the cold), are you sure you want to be cycling everywhere in 30-33deg (celcius), 80+% humidity weather?

CanuckFlyHigh Mar 31, 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 28110674)
You're moving from winter/spring (where your bodies are accustomed to the cold), are you sure you want to be cycling everywhere in 30-33deg (celcius), 80+% humidity weather?

Yes, bicycling around cities is far and away our very favorite thing to do unless it is pouring rain. You can experience the culture of a city in a different way on bikes, and we love doing it. It will be late September, so weather will be fine.

schriste Mar 31, 2017 12:30 pm

deleted

FlyerEC Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh (Post 28111903)
Yes, bicycling around cities is far and away our very favorite thing to do unless it is pouring rain. You can experience the culture of a city in a different way on bikes, and we love doing it. It will be late September, so weather will be fine.

Have you decided on the hotel ?
How many days to acclimatize ?
Do you really enjoy humidity ?

I recall it ' s your honeymoon !
There are hop on / hop off buses which may be an alternative to do , first . You can check out the cycling scene then on the roads ..
Perhaps safer on Sentosa , or try the park connector and east coast park with bicycle lanes - hear it is good from others .
Will be more bicycle friendly in 5 years ;)

Jasper2009 Mar 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh (Post 28108440)
Not a lot of talk about the Fairmont on here. Any reason? We're strongly considering it, as we have suite upgrade certs and Fairmont Platinum status. Additionally, they offer complimentary bicycles, which is our favorite way to explore a city. The bikes would be our main reason to choose this hotel. (yes, we are millenials), but we also have great memories at many Fairmonts in Canada.

As much as I'm a Fairmont fan, I probably wouldn't rank the Fairmont Singapore as a true luxury hotel, and probably not among the top 5 hotels in Singapore.

That being said, the value proposition is hard to beat:

- you can upgrade from a Fairmont room to a very spacious, newly renovated one-bedroom suite using a suite upgrade cert AND
- all guests staying in a suite get access to the lounge (which includes a very good breakfast buffet, snacks throughout the day and a decent buffet and free drinks at night)

uggboy May 8, 2017 5:38 am

There's news surrounding the case of The Patina, Singapore:

Please see:

http://www.straitstimes.com/business...sed-says-judge

Now one wonders when The Patina will "ever" open, maybe it will...only time will tell...I guess. Equally I wonder how long The Patina will stay on as a member of LHW. At least for now there's no sign that they intend to open, not with such a "spat" between the partners going on right now, which is actually set to continue...in the courts that is.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

uggboy May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

In the news...

Shangri-La completes renovation of the iconic Tower Wing in Singapore

Shangri-La International’s first hotel built in 1971, Shangri-La Tower Wing Singapore, has completed a full renovation. Guests may choose to stay in any of the 360 Tower Wing Deluxe Rooms, 79 Horizon Club Deluxe Rooms, soon to open family-themed rooms and suites, as well as five One-Bedroom Suites and the newly added 250 square metre Grand Suite.

The rejuvenated Tower Wing Deluxe Rooms are each a spacious 38 square metres, and come complete with stylish furnishings, luxurious amenities, internet access, glass wardrobes, floor-to-ceiling windows and a choice of city or pool views. Calm and inviting with a soothing colour palette, the new accommodations are elegant havens bedecked with modern conveniences.
Please see:

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/shangri-la...-in-singapore/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

scented May 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Since many here visit Singapore frequently, how is Raffles now with the renovations? Should I avoid? Too many options, yet nothing quite solid.

MacMyDay May 24, 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28345930)
Since many here visit Singapore frequently, how is Raffles now with the renovations? Should I avoid? Too many options, yet nothing quite solid.

I was there for 3 nights in March and couldn't even tell anything was shut. Phase two of the refurb does not begin until August, so I think you'd be fine.

scented May 24, 2017 1:01 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 28352251)
I was there for 3 nights in March and couldn't even tell anything was shut. Phase two of the refurb does not begin until August, so I think you'd be fine.

Perfect! Thanks. Might try over Fullerton Bay Hotel, which has had some issues recently.

MacMyDay May 24, 2017 1:34 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28352357)
Perfect! Thanks. Might try over Fullerton Bay Hotel, which has had some issues recently.

I've stayed in both and would still prefer Fullerton Bay, although I really, really loved The Raffles breakfast and thought the pool was . I did a review on my blog on The Raffles, which was semi-complimentary.

icemaker Jul 6, 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 28108665)
I would not suggest MBS...I'd say Fullerton Bay Hotel to be the much better option. Upgrade at booking isn't an issue with any of us who are Virtuoso Advisors...Also, the Fullerton Bay is a 5 minute walk to a hawker station for local street food, so that should work well for your family, too.

Cheers!

yep. Do not stay at MBS. It's nothing but a tourist trap. The pool is cool if you really need to get your photo shoot done. The hotel itself and rooms are somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. Absolutely not worth the price. Plenty of other stellar options at similar or better pricing. St Regis Lady Astor room is priced the same as a MBS deluxe. Clearly no contest.

surftb15 Jul 6, 2017 3:38 pm

How is the St Regis? have one night there and enjoy the $100 credit!
Thanks!