FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1153670-best-luxury-hotel-singapore-consolidated-thread.html)

Jasper2009 May 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by printingray (Post 18550893)
Once I experienced Fairmont, formally known as Raffles the Plaza. The rooms were very comfortable and especially the swimming pool was superb. Its incredible convenient as it contains super market restaurants on lower portion and below this, you'll find a walk underground.

I quite like the Fairmont SIN as well due to its great location, the nice views from the top floor, the good offering in the lounge and the excellent treatment of FPC members, but itīs probably not among the best hotels in SIN and Iīm sure many FTers here donīt even consider it to be a luxury hotel.

SASDC8 Jun 3, 2012 12:30 pm

I am going to Singapore for the first time this November with my GF and would like to stay in a good 5 star hotel. We will be there for three or four nights and right now I consider these properties:

- Mandarin Oriental
- Shangri-La
- Intercontinental
- The St.Regis
- The Ritz-Carlton
- Four Seasons
- And perhaps the Fairmont.

I would like a large room or suite and my budget would be up to 1000 SG a night. Which hotel and room/suite would you choose??

As we will be there for the first time and as tourists, location and pool area will also play a part in my decision.

Thanks for all tips and help ^

Cheers

Kettering Northants QC Jun 3, 2012 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by SASDC8 (Post 18690421)
I am going to Singapore for the first time this November with my GF and would like to stay in a good 5 star hotel. We will be there for three or four nights and right now I consider these properties:

- Mandarin Oriental
- Shangri-La
- Intercontinental
- The St.Regis
- The Ritz-Carlton
- Four Seasons
- And perhaps the Fairmont.

I would like a large room or suite and my budget would be up to 1000 SG a night. Which hotel and room/suite would you choose??

As we will be there for the first time and as tourists, location and pool area will also play a part in my decision.

Thanks for all tips and help ^

Cheers

With that budget I'd rule out the Fairmont and Intercontinental that IMO are recognised as not being in the top hotels in Singapore.

From the hotels i've stayed at
Shangri La, I'd only consider the Valley Wing. For 1000 SGD a night you could get a very good room at the Mandarin Oriental. Ritz Carlton, been several years since I've been there, but enjoyed it.

I've passed through the FS a few times (it's connected to the Hilton) and never get the wow factor - but some like it.

Never stayed at The Fullerton (not on your list) but its well located for night life

aa213bb Jun 3, 2012 4:38 pm

We've really enjoyed the Ritz the times we've been there. In general I'm not a big RC fan, but that one has always treated us well, and I do enjoy the suites with those water views.

speedbird001 Jun 3, 2012 4:43 pm

IMHO, Shangri La Valley wing has the most spacious and attractive rooms in Sing and the best pool area. Service is a notch or two below FS but it is definitly 5*. World leaders stay here when visiting Singapore.

FlyerEC Jun 3, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 18691454)
IMHO, Shangri La Valley wing has the most spacious and attractive rooms in Sing and the best pool area. Service is a notch or two below FS but it is definitly 5*. World leaders stay here when visiting Singapore.

Just don't stay when world leaders are there ! Likely will be full if they are anyway ;)
Security will be a nightmare..

ajca Jun 4, 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC (Post 18691070)
Never stayed at The Fullerton (not on your list) but its well located for night life

I stayed at the Fullerton a few trips back and really couldn't see the appeal. Agree it is in a pretty good location for nightlife. But while the outside of the building is beautiful, they have not done a good job of preserving the old-world charm of the lobby and rooms. It all feels tacky and badly designed rather than charming colonial. I find the Intercontinental to be much more luxurious with far more genuine old world charm.

For the OP, I would consider two nights in a club suite at the Ritz Carlton (to experience the view and that part of town) and then two nights at the Four Seasons or Shangri-la Valley wing.

I reckon the Ritz Carlton views are significantly better than the Mandarin Oriental's, and for my money the RC is a much better hotel overall.

Barnaby100 Jun 5, 2012 11:10 am

Ritz Carlton in a club suite. They often have 2 for 3 on suites. Look in blocks of 3 days rather than whole stay. Can you book through fhr or similar. The fhr anemity used to be a multi course afternoon tea- great fun. Plus with fhr you can get both dining room and club breakfast -both really good.

I hated the mandarin oriental.

TRAVELSIG Jun 5, 2012 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100 (Post 18702005)
Ritz Carlton is a club suite. They often have 2 for 3 on suites. Look in blocks of 3 days rather than whole stay. Can you book through fhr or similar. The fhr anemity used to be a multi course afternoon tea- great fun. Plus with fhr you can get both dining room and club breakfast -both really good.

I hated the mandarin oriental.

My experience at the RC led me to believe it was the most over-rated hotel I have ever been to in the entire RC system.

The ShangriLa is a much better hotel.

The service at the RC is terribly inconsistent.

Saying my pleasure does not equal good service every time.

ajca Jun 5, 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 18702036)
My experience at the RC led me to believe it was the most over-rated hotel I have ever been to in the entire RC system.

The ShangriLa is a much better hotel.

The service at the RC is terribly inconsistent.

Saying my pleasure does not equal good service every time.

I had the exact opposite experience - consistently AMAZING service at the RC and terrible service at the MO next door.

Barnaby100 Jun 6, 2012 1:45 am

I have styled in rc in most types of room over past 15 years. Always had great service. Last time in club suite- upgraded to higher level. Club lounge amazing- we hardly needed any other food. Champagne and great views.

We arrived Christmas Eve leaving on 28th. Needed clothes altering for new years party. They arrived back 1st thing on 26th. Hotel seamstress had done it- no charge. They actually apologised that we didn't get them back on christmas day but they were off.

BENLEE Jun 6, 2012 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ajca (Post 18706002)
I had the exact opposite experience - consistently AMAZING service at the RC and terrible service at the MO next door.

+1 for the RC Millenia ^

I have stayed at this hotel several times for the past year ever since they renovated the rooms. Service while not exceptionally exemplary, have improved by leaps and bounds. I was upgraded from room to suite several times and at every stay, they will always leave some extra amenities in the room and the Manager will always call to check that everything is OK. Also love the buffet breakfast in the morning. Can't find much to complain.

The MO service on the other hand is very so-so and the rooms are by now way overdue for an overhaul. Even the suites are unappealing.

I have stayed at nearly all the top hotels in Singapore including St Regis, MO, RC, Fullerton Bay, FS and still think the RC is the best of the bunch.

TRAVELSIG Jun 6, 2012 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ajca (Post 18706002)

I guess I have been spoiled by the Shangri-La.

MSPeconomist Jun 8, 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001 (Post 18691454)

Queen Elizabeth II stays in Raffles---and security was not a nightmare.

speedbird001 Jun 8, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18722988)
Queen Elizabeth II stays in Raffles---and security was not a nightmare.

Raffles in Sing is at the bottom of the list. I don't care who stays there.