Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:52 am

I really like the IC - great location - easy walk to Arab St, the Colonial District and the Esplanade. The Club lounge is very nice and great for breakfast and evening cocktails - I never have the canapés as the local food is so good. As baghoarder says the Shophouse rooms and suites are the ones to go for although I was told that the remainder of the hotel is going to be refurbished in similar style.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:35 am

Have to admit that the IC has been suggested a few times when I've asked about location centric luxuryish hotel. Others have mentioned that the Swissotel and the Fairmont are even better located based on my criteria ie to walk out and be right in the middle of a vibrant area without having to go far - (the area behing the Taj in Mumbai being an example of this and less so the road out in front). Are they the same or similar standard as the IC?

I did note the comments on the Capella and must say it appeals but for me the resort part of this trip will be the Four Seasons Langkawi and so I'd rather stay in the central part of Singapore even though I do plan a trip to Sentosa to take the kids to Universal Studios, night safari etc.

The other alternative is Raffles - isn't that very close to IC and therefore presumably well located or is being a mile or so in a different direction a complete scene change? Is it worth the price difference on the basis that we won't be spending lots of time in the hotel and also if I'm paying for a good hotel it has to be worth it and the comments so far on Singapore luxury hotels suggests that they just aren't.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:37 am

The Swisshotel is very close to Raffles but I haven't stayed - closer to the Esplanade etc but further from Arab St - all walkable or very cheap taxis if it's hot and you're travelling with children. Raffles will be much nicer of course - I haven't stayed since the refurb quite a few years ago. The other hotel I like is the RC - the marina area is quite nice but you'd need to use public transport or taxis more. Also liked the Shangri - la but not so keen on the location as the only places nearby and walkable are Orchard Rd (shopping malls - not that interesting as same brands as at home and no cheaper) and the botanic gardens.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by idaud
... I'd rather stay in the central part of Singapore even though I do plan a trip to Sentosa to take the kids to Universal Studios, night safari etc.

The Night Safari is fantastic, but it isn't on Sentosa. It's to the north of the island - public transport there when I was last there was a bit awkward but a taxi was a very cheap (for the distance) and easy option.

Sentosa will be nice when it's finished, I've been saying that for 25 years.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:30 am

Actually quitecontrary the pointof the central location is so that when the kids are asleep I can nip out, walk around the block and get some street food... and still be back within half an hour without getting into trouble with my better half...

So on location Swissotel Stamford vs IC vs Raffles?

Quality of hotel Swissotel Stamford v IC?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by idaud
Actually quitecontrary the pointof the central location is so that when the kids are asleep I can nip out, walk around the block and get some street food... and still be back within half an hour without getting into trouble with my better half...

So on location Swissotel Stamford vs IC vs Raffles?

Quality of hotel Swissotel Stamford v IC?
Raffles is a 5 minute walk from IC. I haven't stayed so nothing further to add but obviously it reproduces/preserves its old Singapore character. However, the IC does too, in the restored Peranakan Shophouse wings and the lobby (but maybe not quite on the same scale). The "vibrant city" feel at IC comes from being connected to the large Bugis Junction shopping mall. That may or may not be what you have in mind.

Others will know this better than I, but AFAIK these days the only places for hawker food in Singapore are the hawker centres. Lau Pa Sat has just reopened and although I didn't visit before its refurbishment I am going to bet that with each "upgrade" it loses a little of its authenticity. Patisserie and coffee chains now in evidence alongside the local specialities. Check out the Singapore forum for threads on Singapore food.

I suspect Haji Lane comes alive at night in a way that might be more what you are looking for - short stroll away.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Raffles is a 5 minute walk from IC. I haven't stayed so nothing further to add but obviously it reproduces/preserves its old Singapore character. However, the IC does too, in the restored Peranakan Shophouse wings and the lobby (but maybe not quite on the same scale). The "vibrant city" feel at IC comes from being connected to the large Bugis Junction shopping mall. That may or may not be what you have in mind.

Others will know this better than I, but AFAIK these days the only places for hawker food in Singapore are the hawker centres. Lau Pa Sat has just reopened and although I didn't visit before its refurbishment I am going to bet that with each "upgrade" it loses a little of its authenticity. Patisserie and coffee chains now in evidence alongside the local specialities. Check out the Singapore forum for threads on Singapore food.

I suspect Haji Lane comes alive at night in a way that might be more what you are looking for - short stroll away.
Not trying to be a Smart Alek, but what is it you "suspect" he's looking for? Or would that be unmentionable on this thread?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by maltasr
Not trying to be a Smart Alek, but what is it you "suspect" he's looking for? Or would that be unmentionable on this thread?
Err...

Actually, I was guessing, based on the comments made, that he might be seeking a slightly more gritty, less regulated street scene than Singapore typically presents.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:21 pm
In memoriam

Four Seasons Offers

Stay 2 - get 1 night free. Stay 3 and get 1 night free. Various availability during the next few months.

http://www.fourseasons.com/singapore...&_s_icmp=mmenu

Robyn
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Not exactly a luxury hotel but it is great value for a five star hotel - Carlton City Hotel. It is located in the CBD and is pretty new (opened last year).

Worth checking it out!

Full review: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...otel-singapore

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by markcwj
Not exactly a luxury hotel but it is great value for a five star hotel - Carlton City Hotel. It is located in the CBD and is pretty new (opened last year).

Worth checking it out!

Full review: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...otel-singapore

And I though first, they had Lush in their rooms Seems to be a good Option in the business segment
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:53 am

Does anyone else think that the lobby of the valley wing of the Shangri-La is maybe the best lobby in the world? I'm taking about the breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks all served by white gloved "butlers". Also free drinks, including free French Champagne all day long, again served by the "butlers". Obviously you can pay for those things anywhere, but is there any other property in the world like the Shangri-La valley wing in Singapore where it's free all day in such a large, luxurious environment?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Does anyone else think that the lobby of the valley wing of the Shangri-La is maybe the best lobby in the world? I'm taking about the breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks all served by white gloved "butlers". Also free drinks, including free French Champagne all day long, again served by the "butlers". Obviously you can pay for those things anywhere, but is there any other property in the world like the Shangri-La valley wing in Singapore where it's free all day in such a large, luxurious environment?
Breakfast room isn't big enough for the number of guests who need to use it.

The service offered in the lobby is very good but the lobby itself, whilst very nice, is nothing particularly special IMO. The Intercontinental Hong Kong might be a contender for that for me.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:23 pm
In memoriam

Booking FS through a FSPP partner will get you a complimentary full American breakfast served in the dining room or in your room. When staying at a FS - we can usually arrange to get a breakfast credit for the amount of the American breakfast - and make selections from the menu. This is the breakfast menu at the FS:

http://www.fourseasons.com/singapore...ety/breakfast/

Even the American breakfast seems to have some interesting twists. Robyn
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:50 pm

The FS Singapore has an excellent Sunday Brunch with free flow Veuve Cliquot - http://www.fourseasons.com/singapore...sunday_brunch/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.