Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:59 pm

Robyn - I was only at the FS for brunch which was actually very good but I suppose it is mainly the location I don't like. I've only stayed near Orchard Rd once - at the S-La. Apart from walking to the shops you need to take a taxi everywhere. I'm not sure that there are many restaurants nearby. From the FS you walk through the Hilton to get to Orchard rd.

A lot of dining in Singapore is in hawker centres and there is a very good one just near the RC - Gluttons Bay. Definitely walking distance from there. Another great place to eat in Singapore is the East Coast Seafood Centre but regardless of where you stay you'll have to take a taxi regardless of where you stay.
When you said the River Park I thought you meant the Gardens by the bay - I didn't even know about the new River Psrk and I was there about 5 weeks ago.

The RC is nice and I doubt you'll find many tour groups in the Club Lounge - have a look at the thread on Executive club lounges and you'll see it gets a few votes.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:00 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Robyn - I was only at the FS for brunch which was actually very good but I suppose it is mainly the location I don't like. I've only stayed near Orchard Rd once - at the S-La. Apart from walking to the shops you need to take a taxi everywhere. I'm not sure that there are many restaurants nearby. From the FS you walk through the Hilton to get to Orchard rd.

A lot of dining in Singapore is in hawker centres and there is a very good one just near the RC - Gluttons Bay. Definitely walking distance from there. Another great place to eat in Singapore is the East Coast Seafood Centre but regardless of where you stay you'll have to take a taxi regardless of where you stay.
When you said the River Park I thought you meant the Gardens by the bay - I didn't even know about the new River Psrk and I was there about 5 weeks ago.

The RC is nice and I doubt you'll find many tour groups in the Club Lounge - have a look at the thread on Executive club lounges and you'll see it gets a few votes.
For now - I've made a reservation at the FS and will check back after the New Year - after the hotels have loaded their "specials" for 2014.

I had my first email exchange with the Guest Relations Manager about a few details - and he was back to me quickly (considering the time zone difference) and on top of things. That is always a good sign .

If you get to the new River Park before I do (entirely possible since you seem to travel about 10 times as much as I do) - let me know what you think. Regards, Robyn
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:18 pm

I'm sure the FS will be great (just like the one at CW in london) .

I doubt I'll be in Singapore before you as we were there a few weeks ago so you will get to the River Park before us. We usually stop there on our way somewhere in SE Asia - as it is a convenient stopping off place flight wise. Next trip starting on Thursday takes us to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Macau - like you we got a great miles redemption otherwise I wouldn't go away so soon after the last trip.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:00 am

FS still delivers but in my humble opinion is starting to be dated and just feel a bit dark and gloomy.
In the same area, for business, I much prefer staying at sister property the regent. Old school.
I think the best at the moment for business and city stays is the fullerton bay (accross the olf fullerton). For rest and leisure, hands down the Capella on sentosa.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by robyng
BTW - just curious - what is the "culture of service" in Singapore in general? In Japan - it's kind of an art form based on experience. In other countries in Asia - perhaps not so much? The only country I've ever been in in Asia is Japan (I've been in Israel - but - whether it's in Asia or Africa is a topic of dispute - and - no matter where Israel is in terms of continents - it's kind of in left field in terms of Asia or Africa in general). Robyn
Singapore service standards are spotty at best. You can of course expect good service at a top hotel or restaurant, but when you venture out you'll find it pretty impersonal and transactional.

Also, due to the influx of low-cost service staff from China, don't be surprised if you experience many who don't speak English (and insist on speaking Mandarin if you look East Asian). There are a lot of Filipinos working in the service industry there and I'd say they are mostly quite good, at least with speaking English, and they also do smile and say thank you.

There's also very little going out of the way. Most people just care about their direct scope of responsibility and say "don't know" to anything else.

Well, at least tipping isn't mandatory at restaurants, but that'd be because you had no choice but to pay a 10% service charge at most places anyway. Look at your receipts and you'll find them.

Whatever it is, don't compare it to what you experienced Japan or you'll be in for a major disappointment.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by roverkt
Singapore service standards are spotty at best. You can of course expect good service at a top hotel or restaurant, but when you venture out you'll find it pretty impersonal and transactional.

Also, due to the influx of low-cost service staff from China, don't be surprised if you experience many who don't speak English (and insist on speaking Mandarin if you look East Asian). There are a lot of Filipinos working in the service industry there and I'd say they are mostly quite good, at least with speaking English, and they also do smile and say thank you.

There's also very little going out of the way. Most people just care about their direct scope of responsibility and say "don't know" to anything else.

Well, at least tipping isn't mandatory at restaurants, but that'd be because you had no choice but to pay a 10% service charge at most places anyway. Look at your receipts and you'll find them.

Whatever it is, don't compare it to what you experienced Japan or you'll be in for a major disappointment.
Spot on just about everything you can experience in Singapore. Not just the hospitality industry.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:24 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by roverkt

Well - my husband and I don't look anything Asian - so I doubt anyone will speak Mandarin to us. My husband speaks a bit of Japanese - but I doubt that will be a useful language in Singapore . So - if it's not English - it will be hand language .

We have a fair number of Filipinos/Filipino Americans who live in our area. Mostly nurses and people working for the Navy. Of course - dealing with a nurse (my husband's doctor's excellent nurse is "Malou" - I think that's a Filipina/Filipina American name) is different than dealing with a server at a restaurant.

Are people friendly on the street? Like if you're lost and ask for directions - will they help?

And ok - I won't compare it with Japan. I honestly think Japan is a "one off" in terms of service (at least based on my travel experiences). Robyn

P.S. Do any of the people from the Philippines in Asia still speak Spanish? They do in Florida - especially south Florida - but that may be because lots of people in Florida speak Spanish (no matter where they/their families come from). My husband and I speak good Spanish.

Last edited by robyng; Nov 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:05 pm

Singaporeans generally have a very decent command of english and will take the time to help out if you are lost and need directions etc….
They are very disciplined, principled, charitabe etc …….they are just not very friendly and definitely can't think out of the box. They totally lack any sense of humour so don't even try, you'd just draw blank stares. Its really appalling. Try, just for laugh.

I think roverkt means to say that about the language barrier is that there is a big influx of mainland chinese so you might find that in restaurant and shops, it may be a problem. There is usually always someone else to talk to though.
There is equally an ever larger contingent of philippinos in shops and the hospitality industry which a great thing as they are by far much more articulate, friendly and just generally clued on!
Very few still speak spanish.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:32 pm

Robyn, you'll have no problems navigating Singapore - it's tiny, and fluent English seems to be the norm.

I know you, like myself, are a food person - I'm about to fly from Australia to the US, via Copenhagen, just for Noma - so you'll enjoy the Hawker Centers, Orchard Road Mall Food Courts (I especially recommend Takashimaya and Paragon), and some world-class restaurants (several on the SP Top-100).

To get back on topic, we stayed at the FS for one night on our way from Amanoi to Australia, and found the service fantastic. Too, we were upgraded to the Ambassador's Suite, so from a hard product standpoint we were happy as well.

BUT … the Marina may be more where you want to be, in which case we've very much enjoyed suites at the Ritz (I never bother with a club floor, because hotel club food will rarely - if ever - compare to the meals I will eat out).
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by amanpuloflyer
Spot on just about everything you can experience in Singapore. Not just the hospitality industry.
I was referring only to the service sector so I'm not sure what you mean by your sweeping statement.

Robyn, most Singaporeans would be fine telling you the directions, but just don't assume that anyone you approach on the street will be one, as only 60% of the population are citizens. I've had some strange encounters being asked directions by other tourists in countries where by looks I clearly stand a slim chance of being a local, so I did find that funny.

I'm also not sure I appreciate the rather scathing suggestion by amanpuloflyer to try your humor on us just so you can find it funny that we may not get it. It's firstly unusual to joke with strangers, and we don't generally expect non-locals to get our jokes. But some foreigners with a superiority complex do get a full-time kick out of ridiculing the locals, I do admit. They complain endlessly about the country but seem to stick around nevertheless.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:35 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Robyn, you'll have no problems navigating Singapore - it's tiny, and fluent English seems to be the norm.

I know you, like myself, are a food person - I'm about to fly from Australia to the US, via Copenhagen, just for Noma - so you'll enjoy the Hawker Centers, Orchard Road Mall Food Courts (I especially recommend Takashimaya and Paragon), and some world-class restaurants (several on the SP Top-100).

To get back on topic, we stayed at the FS for one night on our way from Amanoi to Australia, and found the service fantastic. Too, we were upgraded to the Ambassador's Suite, so from a hard product standpoint we were happy as well.

BUT … the Marina may be more where you want to be, in which case we've very much enjoyed suites at the Ritz (I never bother with a club floor, because hotel club food will rarely - if ever - compare to the meals I will eat out).
IOW - Singapore is like Stockholm in terms of getting around - except with warmer weather .

And yes - my husband and I are very much interested in food. And Singapore seems like a great destination in that regard. It's one of the original "fusion food" capitals of the world. And now seems to be attracting world class chefs from all over (including our acquaintance Bruno Menard from Ritz Carlton Buckhead Atlanta/L'Osier Tokyo). OTOH - Singapore hasn't yet been "discovered" by most western food bloggers (perhaps because it's so far away). Which I find appealing.

Have fun at Noma. Haven't been. But we did go to similar "new Nordic" restaurants in Stockholm (e.g., Frantzen).

I will take a look at all the luxury hotels in Singapore after the first of the year and/or when the hotels start to come up with their 2014 specials. Whether or not I decide to change our reservation - I'll post what I find.

And roverkt - I'm not sure amanpuloflyer meant what you think he meant. But - if he did - well my husband and I wouldn't do that in a million years. When we travel abroad - we're guests in other peoples' countries. And try our best to be polite and follow all local rules/customs. Even when we can't possibly learn something (like when/how to bow in Japan) - we do our utmost to be respectful. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Nov 29, 2013 at 7:27 am
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will take a look at all the luxury hotels in Singapore after the first of the year and/or when the hotels start to come up with their 2014 specials. Whether or not I decide to change our reservation - I'll post what I find.
If you cannot find a luxury hotel with the offer you are looking for the Conrad is not too bad on the executive/concierge levels FYI and has a location very close to the Mandarin Oriental and the Ritz Carlton.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by amanpuloflyer
Singaporeans generally have a very decent command of english and will take the time to help out if you are lost and need directions etc….
They are very disciplined, principled, charitabe etc …….they are just not very friendly and definitely can't think out of the box. They totally lack any sense of humour so don't even try, you'd just draw blank stares. Its really appalling. Try, just for laugh.
As a Singaporean by nationality, sad to say, I find such bias and sweeping generalizations very unhelpful and uncalled for. Perhaps the Mod should take a look at this.

And roverkt - I'm not sure amanpuloflyer meant what you think he meant. But - if he did - well my husband and I wouldn't do that in a million years. When we travel abroad - we're guests in other peoples' countries. And try our best to be polite and follow all local rules/customs. Even when we can't possibly learn something (like when/how to bow in Japan) - we do our utmost to be respectful. Robyn
That's very nice of you. As in every country and every city, some people are more friendly and helpful while others are not. Just go with the flow and I think you will be fine and will enjoy the trip. You will also find eating local Singaporean food esp at the many "hawker centers" located throughout the Island to be a rather unique experience.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:39 am

And yes - my husband and I are very much interested in food. And Singapore seems like a great destination in that regard. It's one of the original "fusion food" capitals of the world. And now seems to be attracting world class chefs from all over (including our acquaintance Bruno Menard from Ritz Carlton Buckhead Atlanta/L'Osier Tokyo). OTOH - Singapore hasn't yet been "discovered" by most western food bloggers (perhaps because it's so far away).
But, I can assure you there ARE loads of food bloggers covering Singapore, and even better Penang. Knowing your penchant for food, I'd highly recommend looking at some blogs and hopping to Penang for street food. Typically, I believe, it rates higher than Singapore.

Anyway, back to the point, there are numerous luxury properties from which to choose, but as you'll find, none that blow away the field.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: QF CL
Singapore hasn't yet been "discovered" by most western food bloggers (perhaps because it's so far away).
Far away? Not from Australia, which is full of Western food bloggers.

I have a trip planned to Singapore in a few months' time and am looking forward to reading of your food experiences and recommendations. . And back OT, I am planning to stay at the Fullerton Bay.

It's interesting to compare our responses on this board to luxury options in Hong Kong vs Singapore. While we all have our opinions of course, they seem much more passionately held about our favourites in Hong Kong! Revealing in itself, I think...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.