Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:29 pm

I'm planning on spending one night at a hotel in downtown Toronto next week when I'm in town for an event. I'm actually from Toronto and moved away a couple years ago. So I'm generally aware of most of the hotels (though the St. Regis was still the Trump tower when I left I think). But I've never actually stayed at any, beyond one disappointing visit to the Fairmont Royal York when I was a teenager.

I was interested in checking out the Four Seasons, but downtown is better for me thank Yorkville since it would be great to be within an easy transit distance of King/Parliament and also Union Station.

Among the FS, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Shangri-La (and others I'm forgetting?) what comes recommended these days? I was also curious about the experience at Louix Louis in the St. Regis as well. Worth the buzz? I mostly stay at Marriott's for the points, but in this case I'm more interested in getting the nicest experience for the cost regardless of loyalty programs.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This FS is probably the worst FS flagship in the world. Wouldn't recommend it.

The SL is fine. The RC is getting long in the tooth but was okay for me.

See the St. Regis thread in the Bonvoy forum for horror pictures of someone's stay a few weeks back. Wish they had done a complete renovation when they were changing it over from Trump.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by ShinyO
I'm planning on spending one night at a hotel in downtown Toronto next week when I'm in town for an event. I'm actually from Toronto and moved away a couple years ago. So I'm generally aware of most of the hotels (though the St. Regis was still the Trump tower when I left I think). But I've never actually stayed at any, beyond one disappointing visit to the Fairmont Royal York when I was a teenager.

I was interested in checking out the Four Seasons, but downtown is better for me thank Yorkville since it would be great to be within an easy transit distance of King/Parliament and also Union Station.

Among the FS, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Shangri-La (and others I'm forgetting?) what comes recommended these days? I was also curious about the experience at Louix Louis in the St. Regis as well. Worth the buzz? I mostly stay at Marriott's for the points, but in this case I'm more interested in getting the nicest experience for the cost regardless of loyalty programs.
ShangriLa is probably best in town. I would avoid the Ritz and the FS is just weird.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Four seasons thumbs down. Was there last summer. Can not recommend.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:57 am

Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like the Shangri-La
is the best option. Though if they’re all not-so-great maybe I will save my pennies and stay at the Marriott near the Eaton’s Centre ( was a perfectly fine and reasonably priced, standard Marriott hotel.)

I’m disappointed to hear that the FS was such a let-down. What’s wrong with it? I’d heard good things. Granted, I heard them from a FS employee when I stayed at the hotel in Santa Barbara.

You’d think it would be excellent given that FS corporate offices are in Toronto.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’d think it would be excellent given that FS corporate offices are in Toronto.
I've always been astonished by that fact too.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like the Shangri-La
is the best option. Though if they’re all not-so-great maybe I will save my pennies and stay at the Marriott near the Eaton’s Centre ( was a perfectly fine and reasonably priced, standard Marriott hotel.)

I’m disappointed to hear that the FS was such a let-down. What’s wrong with it? I’d heard good things. Granted, I heard them from a FS employee when I stayed at the hotel in Santa Barbara.

When my husband and I were there last early September. we had a number of issues.
1. We had them pick us up at airport. We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon when our room should have been ready. Instead of meeting us and taking us to room, we stood in line to check in for over 30 min. Only to find out our room still not ready. We waited another 30 min in the restaurant - they did buy us each a drink. We ordered a snack for which we were charged. When our room was finally ready they did upgrade us, but the room was quite unattractive .
2. We could never get through by phone to the concierge. Constantly on hold, finally shifting over to hotel operator, then promises to call back which never happened.
3. Mixed up room service breakfast Two mornings in a row.
4. Missed turn down one night
5. Check out at 5:00 am there were several people waiting and they were training someone. I finally told them my room number and left as we had plane to catch. They emailed me the bill only after I called to ask for it. It had two mistakes which I was able to sort out on the phone, but the hassle!

On top of that we didn’t even like our room despite being upgraded from a small suite to a large one. We would never stay there again. We were shocked at the service. I am not a complainer and recognize hotels like people make mistakes. But this was a really poor experience.

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:37 pm

Wow, that’s horrible! Since none of them sounded really fantastic I ended up booking at the Ritz-Carlton. I’ve eaten there a bunch of times so at least I know what to expect and the location suits me. It was a significant discount from the SL, though that’s probably because there appears to be some construction going on at the RC so I may come to totally regret my decision. Will post an update here after the trip!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that’s horrible! Since none of them sounded really fantastic I ended up booking at the Ritz-Carlton. I’ve eaten there a bunch of times so at least I know what to expect and the location suits me. It was a significant discount from the SL, though that’s probably because there appears to be some construction going on at the RC so I may come to totally regret my decision. Will post an update here after the trip!
Construction around it or in the hotel itself?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:09 am

The hotel itself. Sounds like the Club Lounge is getting a refresh and has been temporarily relocated elsewhere. Also possibly some work being done on the spa. As long as it’s not loud and isn’t intrusive into the lobby, restaurant and of course the guest rooms, I can manage.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Stayed at the FS ages ago, the Park Hyatt was OK, but I think it's closed for renovations now, no? I have an upcoming one night stay in Toronto and was considering the RC or StR but if the consensus here is both are trash maybe I'll just stay at one of the cheap Westin or Marriott options?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Stayed at the FS ages ago, the Park Hyatt was OK, but I think it's closed for renovations now, no? I have an upcoming one night stay in Toronto and was considering the RC or StR but if the consensus here is both are trash maybe I'll just stay at one of the cheap Westin or Marriott options?
Westin is pretty bad these days, it is now much more explicitly a convention/tour hotel than it used to be. Service is drastically worse than 5-8 years ago.

Delta would be my choice if you step down from RC or SL. Reports on the StR don't surprise me -- the service was always weak and it appears new management structure hasn't improved it at all.

I used to think very highly of the SL, but they are now one of a few hotels on my banned list. I will never stay there again. The front desk service is atrocious. Unless you get a suite facing away from University, I also think the value proposition is poor. (Although they have a lovely pool and hot tub).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ridefar
Westin is pretty bad these days, it is now much more explicitly a convention/tour hotel than it used to be. Service is drastically worse than 5-8 years ago.

Delta would be my choice if you step down from RC or SL. Reports on the StR don't surprise me -- the service was always weak and it appears new management structure hasn't improved it at all.

I used to think very highly of the SL, but they are now one of a few hotels on my banned list. I will never stay there again. The front desk service is atrocious. Unless you get a suite facing away from University, I also think the value proposition is poor. (Although they have a lovely pool and hot tub).
How are the Kimpton properties? For some reason they made me Inner Circle this year, I doubt they'll repeat that mistake next year so might be worth checking out a few places.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How are the Kimpton properties? For some reason they made me Inner Circle this year, I doubt they'll repeat that mistake next year so might be worth checking out a few places.
The Hazelton Toronto review by @specboi sounded quite good. Maybe try there?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aventine
The Hazelton Toronto review by @specboi sounded quite good. Maybe try there?
I have never stayed, but I have never heard a bad word about the Hazelton. They have consistently been mentioned as one of the best (a short list admittedly) in Toronto. For many years now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.