Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:28 pm
formerly gohima

Best luxury hotel in Toronto

All the info I could find on flyertalk seemed rather outdated....

What is the current best option in Toronto?

From my research: The Trump and Ritz are centrally located. FS is newer, with better bathroom (plus for me) but possible iffy service and less ideal location

PH looks like a dump and not much info on Shangri-la
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Although I have not had the opportunity to stay at a Toronto hotel since I was a bit younger... , from the perspective of this Torontonian, the Four Seasons arguably has the very best location of them all, as it is in Yorkville, which in Toronto passes for chic...and the Park Hyatt is not a dump btw (provided you are in a new tower room perhaps), and is also well located near Yorkville. When you book, make sure you are near Yorkville and not Yorkdale!

I would say the Shangri-la, Trump, and Ritz are all in a relatively poor location other than if you have business downtown, or don't mind a short cab ride to somewhere with some life at night time.

Also note that all the hotels you mentioned (other than the PH) are pretty much new and of basically the same recent vintage.

Last edited by blueline7; Jan 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:22 pm

Speaking purely as an American tourist, I found Yorkville dull. Sure, the high-end shopping is there, but the prices are higher and the selection more narrow than you'd find in any major US city. For that reason, I would suggest downtown, which is parallel to the hotspots, rather than above them geographically. The Ritz is a nice, new modern Ritz. I haven't gotten to the Shangri-la yet, but it's facilities appear to be a step up from the Ritz. I personally could never bring myself to stay in anything bearing the Trump name. And the prior poster was correct, the Park Hyatt isn't a dump. Great service in an older building.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Shangri-La is nice. Can't really compare it to anything else, but the service was very good, hard product is nice and new with many small touches I really appreciated. Facilities in the gym are good. Restaurant in Momofuku is very good. Granted it is right downtown but if this is for business, that is a plus. Book on the side away from University Ave if possible.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Gruver
Speaking purely as an American tourist, I found Yorkville dull. Sure, the high-end shopping is there, but the prices are higher and the selection more narrow than you'd find in any major US city. For that reason, I would suggest downtown, which is parallel to the hotspots, rather than above them geographically. The Ritz is a nice, new modern Ritz. I haven't gotten to the Shangri-la yet, but it's facilities appear to be a step up from the Ritz. I personally could never bring myself to stay in anything bearing the Trump name. And the prior poster was correct, the Park Hyatt isn't a dump. Great service in an older building.
I am inclined to agree. I am not all that impressed with Yorkville but I would certainly consider the FS just to try it out.

We enjoyed our stay at the RC in the summer of 2012. We had a standard room on the club floor and it had a great view. We were there in July and really enjoyed the outdoor lounge. Nice view of CN tower.

A search should turn up at several reviews on Toronto hotels.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:55 am

Stayed at Ritz, Trump and FS and I'd go with Ritz, with club floor access if you can swing it. Best all-round location for theatre and arts, sports teams, harbourfront, club district plus direct access to underground PATH system (a bonus this winter) can take you to the Eaton Centre.

I live in the Toronto area and I find the Yorkville area rather boring. All three will provide top-notch service and each hotel provides very different ambiance from each other. All are new and well-maintained.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I live in Toronto and I have stayed at the Ritz and the Shangri La and have attended functions at the Four Seasons and the Trump. To me the Ritz and the Shangri La were a toss up. I would prefer either over Four Seasons or Trump, but take that with a grain of salt since I have not actually stayed there, but I have been to the restaurants and bars at all 4. Prior to these coming along I always enjoyed the club floor at the King Eddie (not sure how it is after the rebrand) and the Sutton Place (my favorite, since closed)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: A bunch
Trip Report: Ritz-Carlton Toronto

Had a great stay in Toronto at the Ritz last weekend! For the rate we paid we thought it was a flat out steal. Really nice property! My full trip report and pictures are below!! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Full report and pictures

additional text added due to moderator request per FT updated rules:

room
The room was average size with an above average sized bathroom. It contained pretty much all the luxury amenities one would expect from a property of Ritz-Carlton’s caliber. We both love Asprey bath products in fact I think it is my personal all time favorite and may try to order some online for our own shower at home! The shower offered a standard wall spout and a hand-held nozzle. There was a TV hidden in the bathroom mirror which is becoming a standard at many 5 star hotels these days but always appreciated while taking a bath!

Deq Lounge
Great spot to hang out outside to grab food and some cocktails

Gym
Large with everything you could desire!

Overall
Great stay at a great property with great staff in a great city.

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Aug 17, 2014 at 7:16 pm Reason: per moderator request to add additional content
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
Had a great stay in Toronto at the Ritz last weekend! For the rate we paid we thought it was a flat out steal. Really nice property! My full trip report and pictures are below!! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Full report and pictures
Thanks for the report. I've looked at using Travelpony for some RC or FS stays... right now I haven't found a rate that makes it worth while but am getting tempted...

FDW
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:37 am

Agree that R-C Toronto is a really nice hotel with terrific staff. One of the best in the group, IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for the report. I've looked at using Travelpony for some RC or FS stays... right now I haven't found a rate that makes it worth while but am getting tempted...

FDW
FDW, keep checking the site when you book your hotels. The savings can be substantial sometimes BUT sometimes it just doesn't make sense to use TravelPony and/or they don't partner with the hotel your looking at. In my case it was quite a savings for this trip.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Agree that R-C Toronto is a really nice hotel with terrific staff. One of the best in the group, IMHO.
agreed Vuittonofstyle!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta
Toronto ON: Ritz Carlton or Four Season

Taking a trip up to Toronto in a couple weeks. I usually stay in Ritz Carlton Hotels but heard that Four Season in Toronto may be better. Any input would be appreciated
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look here for some discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l-toronto.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...toronto-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...a-toronto.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hlight=toronto
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:00 pm

Or my more recent review of the RC from two months ago!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...n-toronto.html
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:54 pm

As someone that has stayed in every 5 star hotel in Toronto, I can say without a doubt that the FS is easily the best choice. It depends on how much of the hotel you're going to use, though. While I feel the rooms and pool/spa area at the Shangri-La are inferior to the FS (by a decent margin, IMO), Bosk is the best hotel restaurant I've dined at in Toronto, and can't be faulted by the few times I've been there. I think both D Bar and Cafe Boulud are rather lacking. The Ritz is a great all rounder. The rooms and pool area, being slightly inferior to the FS, but the restaurant being slightly superior. Choosing RC and FS really comes down to location. Personally, I'd never choose anything but the FS, but that's because the pool and spa area are some of the best I've ever used (especially if you like steam rooms, which I'm rather a big fan of).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.