Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Denver --- Review from the opening ….

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

I had the privilege of opening the FS Den. Denver has always been troublesome for 5* accommodations and the opening of this FS solves the problem. My travel plans put me in Denver for a Geophysics conference (SEG) and I was able to adjust the travel dates to coincide with the opening. This will be a tad long, and please, for those of you reading this in 2015, these comments are from the first 72 hours the hotel was open. There wasn’t a soft open. Please read some follow on reviews from others for a better feel.

Rooms: I was in the deluxe room at the price of $180. My travel agent is FSPP and I was upgraded to a deluxe room from the standard. The package included American breakfast for 2 and a complimentary lunch. I assume this price will rise as the hotel establishes itself. My room was a normal FS room: comfortable and wholly lacking that busy feel that the MO has monopolized. The bathroom was quite nice, and had a SEPARATE SHOWER AND BATHTUB, for those of you persnickety people that have to have this. I would note that the bathroom didn’t take up 60% of the available space, like it does here: MO LV. One of the lights switches makes the sinks glow from underneath, a cool way to do a nightlight. A coffee maker sat quietly on top of the minibar. Closet space was pretty good. The hotel appears to occupy floors 1-18 or so, with private residences filling out the upper floors of the building. I was on the 12th floor, facing 14th Street. I did get a little street noise and the view from the room was OK, but not that good. At least I wasn’t staring at pickup trucks in the IKEA parking lot, with further views to a swamp. I think the better views are the rooms that look toward the Rockies on the Lawrence side. On the 12th floor, those rooms are 1206,8,9,10,11,12,13. Also, those rooms would have less traffic noise. The easy way to ask for a room-with-a-view is to get a room that overlooks the pool.

The pool was not open yet. All the photos you see are rather clever Photoshops. I was told that the lounge chairs would arrive Friday, the day after I left. The pool bar was under construction and it looks like they need another 2-3 weeks to complete. The pool is on the 3rd floor and large enough to do laps. I checked 4 different times to confirm, and unfortunately, the pool appears to be in permanent shade. This picture from Google Maps shows the problem, although I cannot identify the pool from the satellite image: FS Den. The pool is underneath the building shadow and parallel to Lawrence Street on the top of this satellite image. This is a bad oversight. I’ve never understood how architects remain in the business after a making such a mistake. Hyatt Aventine in La Jolla suffers from the same problem but that architect is a notable incompetent that now designs dangerous teapots that don’t work for Target.

The Spa facility looked great. I had an extensive personal tour by one of the managers, a San Diego native that had just moved to Denver. I’m not a Spa guy, but this facility looks to me like it has everything. I was shown several massage rooms, including one for couples, along with the nail salon. The dressing rooms were spacious, well equipped, comforting. The men’s side had a Jacuzzi and a steam bath.
The fitness center was adequate. I wouldn’t describe it is as great. I counted 6 or more treadmills along with some ellipticals. I remember weights, some balls, and some other miscellaneous wall-mounted equipment. If you were running on the treadmill, you can leer at the (probably cold) people lounging around the pool. This fitness center isn’t anything near FS Hua or FS SF, but it will work. I prefer Stair climbers such as StairMaster, and there were none to be found.

There is a moderately large bar/lobby area and it was crowded. On my second night I had to wait 30 minutes or so to get a seat at the bar. Service was remarkably good and the bar staff friendly, even though it was clear they didn’t have the slightest idea what they were doing. There is a limited sushi station in the bar with a menu that is utterly indecipherable. I mean completely and totally incomprehensible. On my second night I ordered randomly from this menu, hoping to get something edible. What I ended up with was pretty good, but not really sushi. It appeared to be steak wrapped up to look like sushi, with some raw fish stuffed in.

My bigger worry is the restaurant EDGE. EDGE appears to be a steak place. I ate a meal from EDGE on my first and third nights. I had the New York Strip Loin on the first night, and it was atrocious. On my third night I tried something different, Bone in Filet, and it was better. The menu is very confusing, and like the bar menu, often incomprehensible. Everything is al la carte including sauces and sides. Both times I ordered, I forget to order a sauce, so ate the steak plain. Now that I think about it, the reason I didn’t get any sauces is because I didn’t recognize a single one of them. Here is the list:

Lump Crab Citrus Hollandaise
Butter Poached Half Lobster
Shaved Seasonal Truffles
Pan Seared Foie Gras

The sides are equally confusing. Sorry to be ignorant, but I don’t know what these are:

Bubble and Squeak
Crispy Mac and Cheese

If you are staying at this hotel for a few nights, the EDGE menu will get very tedious FAST. The menu is limited, the cooking mediocre. I see much, and perhaps more, of the same ‘yuk’ that infects Quatrro, the mediocre restaurant at FS EPA. Not good. There are deep structural problems here that cannot be explained away by the fact that they ‘just opened’. I had breakfast twice. It was terrific.

The staff is young and friendly and many some of ‘em look VERY good in their somewhat revealing black dresses. Management has done a good job hiring and has screened well, obviously hiring for personality rather than experience. ‘Experience’ can be taught. Every last employee I encountered was approachable and energetic. Not a single employee showed any fear, something I would expect in a new job at an FS. All were chatty. Their excitement was palpable and infectious. They all appeared to be happy to be working with real, paying guests. I encountered several that were on their first shift ever. A side benefit to being a guest at the opening was that several managers from other FS’s were in town to help the training. Notably, I had a long conversation with Bob, the manager from the Bristol Lounge (FS Bos), my favorite FS restaurant. He was helping open EDGE.

A great opening. I will return.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:49 am
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Great review Mike! Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bummer re dining.

hotel service?

also, those were just sauces, or were they toppings/extras?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/re...ic-review.html
The latest fashion in Tokyo, meat maki

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hotel service?
Unfair to comment since the place just opened. The service was not seamless. I would prefer not to comment in the general thread. I'm not anonymous. Six months down the road I'll be more pissy, but I thought they did a great job in the first 72 hours or so. If you want the need-to-fix-list, I'll PM you privately. You'll need to wait a few weeks to let everybody settle in. Example: I was the first paying customer the front desk clerk checked-in. I felt a little sorry for her. I'm an FS regular that management had been warned about in the pre-opening meeting and I think her screen started blinking RED when my name popped up. She visibly stiffened. I did what I could to make her feel comfortable.

also, those were just sauces, or were they toppings/extras?
Sauces. And extra ($6-$14). I can scan the menu and post if you want. I took one.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I had the privilege of opening the FS Den. Denver has always been troublesome for 5* accommodations and the opening of this FS solves the problem.
What about the other new hotel in the town, Ritz-Carlton?

My room was a normal FS room: comfortable and wholly lacking that busy feel that the MO has monopolized.
That a good or bad thing?

As for the pool, why did they build it outside in Denver? It's also open only til 6? I know the RC has a partnership with the adjacent FORZA Fitness Club for it's fitness and pool (indoor) needs.

Off-topic, what happen to that tea kettle?

Last edited by Shangri-La; Oct 22, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
I was at the FS Denver the second night it was open for drinks ... agree with the comments regarding both the friendliness/cluelessness of the staff. The very friendly waiter recommended a sparking (the significantly more expensive of the two sold by the glass, btw) - but admitted he didn't know how to pronounce it (!). Also, service was s-l-o-w.

There was a DJ (which in this day and age means a guy with a laptop plugged in) playing overly-loud music in the bar ... and it was a total mishmash of music (e.g. no theme). The two large TVs above the bar were on, one playing sports. All in all I was confused as to what, exactly, they were going after in terms of theme or vibe: Sports bar? Club? Sleek urban cocktail lounge?

Friends also came to meet us for a drink. When we were finished they waited 25 minutes for their car to be brought around from valet (the garage is below the building, so should have been available in no more than three minutes) ... only to discover a large scratch on the bumper. Valet is contracted out, so there was quite a lengthy conversation between my friends, the valet rep and the FS staff - and pictures were taken and phone numbers exchanged. All in all an hour delay.

The hotel was, for me, an initial disappointment; that said, I have only at this point seen no more than the lobby, bar and the restaurant. I do have a two night weekend stay on the books (made via FSPP) in December that I'm going to keep, however. I think that they will get their service legs underneath them with some time - and hopefully the problems noted will be addressed and corrected.

Hope the restaurant gets up to par ... this is an urban hotel with many, many options within a five minute walk of the hotel - some of which are very good. They will need to get on their game if they are to remain competitive.

Shame about the pool - could this possibly be the time of year or do you think it will remain shaded all day year-round?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:28 pm

From reading this review, I think the Ritz-Carlton Denver is better than Four Seasons Denver... Does anyone know what kind of car(s) that FS Denver has? I know RC Denver has Rolls Royce Phantom, but not sure on FS Denver...

Anyways, great review! By the time that I go there...hopefully it will be better...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I'll be interested to see the FS after it irons out some of the opening issues. I was at the RC about a year and a half ago. Lovely room, spa, club lounge. Mediocre service, stingy with club lounge offerings, appalling food at Elways. I'm sorry to hear the FS has also gone with the steak house concept. There were some lovely small restaurants not too far away - but perhaps too far in the winter.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:49 am

A great opening. I will return.
Hmm.. from reading the review I'd never guessed that!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Hmm.. from reading the review I'd never guessed that!
If you think this was a bad review, you don't want to hear my opinion of The Brown Palace Hotel. Added note: This isn't SF, LA, or NY. The number of hotels Denver hotels that are truly 5* is limited. I was so disgusted with the turd place that I stayed in Broomfield the last fews times I was in the Denver area. The Omni Interlocken can be a lot of fun and closer to the places I need to be.

I've not stayed at the Ritz. Harper does not recommend it and the reviews have been very mixed.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 23, 2010 at 12:11 pm
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:05 am

I haven't stayed there, but I live in Denver and went by the other day for lunch at the bar.

My experience with that confirms what the original poster wrote--I thought the menu was a little opaque (that is, difficult to discern what the dishes are from the descriptions), which is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I had a cheeseburger--knowing from my experience this is one thing a hotel has to get right. 9 times out of 10 if I get in to a hotel and need something quickish to eat before going to meetings or getting to sleep or whatever, this is what I'll order.

The burger was horrible. Fairly good bun, but the burger itself was not up to snuff for the Four Seasons (or any hotel or restaurant). It was two fast-food size patties, rather than one, which surprised me, but the worse part was that it tasted mostly of cardboard. I really think they're using prefrozen burgers. This really surprised me.

Good fries though. The service was very friendly, but did not have the polish you'd expect at a Four Seasons. I'd give them a break on that, as they've only been open a few days. Over the next few months I'll give it further tries, and probably book a stay or two (I've considered buying one of the apartments and I'd like to get a feel for the place).

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few months they do an overhaul of their menus. Also, speaking as a Denverite, another steakhouse? Is that really what this town needs?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I think Denver has anticipated the opening of the Four Seasons for a while now. A friend and I went down there on the day it opened and had a drink in the bar (and to scope out the place). Our intention was to possible check out one of the residences they had for sale (50% of units sold). We walked around the lobby a little bit and sat in the bar area for a drink. The waitperson came by to see what we wanted. I wanted a flavored mojito (mango, pineapple, something tropical infused). She was kind of perplexed and left to go ask if any other flavors were offered. The bartender came out himself (well, I assume he was) and explained he didnt have any tropical flavors but could make a pear mojito. My friend and I each ordered one. They were ok. There was a limited bar menu available for snacks but we didnt try any. After the drinks, we approached the front desk to see if they were offering tours of the residences. We were immediately taken to the sales office (on the 2nd floor) but the lone guy informed us that he was unable to take us anywhere because he "was swamped". Hmmmm. His coworker was showing another group around the hotel (we saw them pass through the restaurant). They were returning from their tour when we were leaving the sales office. My friend and I speculate that he was unwilling to offer any assistance because of the way we were dressed but again, that is speculation on our part. We did go up to the 3rd floor to check out the pool deck, gym, and the spa. We noticed kids swimming in the pool so it must have been open. The gym was nice but then again, it was brand new and only had 1 person using one of the machines. I think I would be tempted to go back and try the restaurant. We stopped there on our way out of the bldg and was given a copy of their lunch menu to take. I actually just wanted to see their dinner menu but the hostess said they didn't have any dinner menus. I agree they have some service kinks to work through.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Here's a review of the building in the Denver Post.

Denver's new Four Seasons missed an opportunity to be extraordinary - The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainm...402?source=pop
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by DenverFT
...Also, speaking as a Denverite, another steakhouse? Is that really what this town needs?
I agree. If my memory serves me correctly, there are about 10 steak restaurants within 10~15 minutes of walking distance from FS Denver. I wish they would have selected a somewhat "unique" cuisine, rather than just "usual ones..."

In addition, I just don't get why FS Denver's location is literally 5 minutes from the College Campus. RC Denver, which is located in 18th & Curtis is quite far from the college campus and I think the RC Denver has better location... I guess I'll find out on this matter when I actually stay at FS Denver.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:11 pm

This is a bad oversight. I’ve never understood how architects remain in the business after a making such a mistake.
I have a feeling the architect of the Denver FS won't have any problems staying in business. Nearly all of his business consists of designing high end ski homes, which he does extremely well. I believe this may be his first hotel and whether or not it is his last I don't think it will impact his business.

I've seen at least two people ask about the house car on various threads. The one I know about is an Escalade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.