Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico/Hawaii luxury vacation for 30 year olds

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Mexico/Hawaii luxury vacation for 30 year olds

Hi!

I'm new here, though I've lurked for years. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so mods feel free and move if I've made a mistake.

I'm looking to go away for 6-7 nights from San Diego on a romantic, luxury, vacation. Ideally, the all in cost would be under $15,000. The places I have been looking are:

Mayan Riviera (Banyan Tree)
Cabo (Las Ventanas)
Hawaii (Halekulani).

What's important to me:

No more than 1 stop on the plane
Nice hotel rooms, preferably with a private plunge pool/jacuzzi
Warmer weather (we will be going first week of March)

There doesn't have to be a ton to do in the city.

Las Ventanas seems like the best bet but looks like it will cost a good $20,000 when all said and done. I'd prefer to target $10,000 so I'm thinking this is out of my league.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:15 am
formerly lelandv

I don't think any of the Halekulani rooms have private pools but that would be my #1 choice by far!

What about FS Punta Mita or StR PM?
What about FS Costa Rica?

You should check out a few threads down there is a good discussion of the Mayan Rivera resorts.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I've read the Mayan threads. It just leaves me more confused. Also, the flight time to the Mayan Riviera is a pain in the ... - 9 hours to get home.

I will check out those other hotels What's StR PM?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:33 am
Original Poster

It also seems like Halekulani is the best value. Is the place rundown? Why are the room rates so much lower than competing luxury resorts?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
If you want a luxury vacation in Hawaii - I'd consider something like the Four Seasons Hualalai (on the Big Island) or the Kahala Resort (15 minutes away from Waikiki).

The Halekulani is right on Waikiki Beach - and although the resort itself is secluded and wonderful, the beach is very crowded - and downtown Honolulu doesn't have much of a resort feel, at least to my taste.

All three of these can be booked with Virtuoso or Four Seasons Preferred Partner amenities.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum
As long as you don't mind "low-key," I'd strongly consider the Four Seasons Lanai, Manele Bay. My wife and I are in our early 30s and have been to the FS Hualalai, Maui and Manele Bay, and there are aspects of Manele Bay that we liked much better than the other two properties. It doesn't hurt that it is significantly cheaper, although given your budget that might not be that much of a concern.

We found that the island of Lanai most closely resembled what our preconceived notions of "Hawaii" were, and, with the opportunity to visit the sister property at Koele, there are many diverse activities on Lanai, as well as the opportunity to relax at the beautiful beach and pool.

It would be an easy trip to go SAN-HNL-LNY.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. It doesn't appear to be much of a bargain - the base room is $1000 a night in March and thats before taxes etc.

But at this point, I'm just trying to find the best place/value. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely looking for a good deal. I don't want to spend money just to spend money.

EDIT: they must be sold out of the first few room catagories, that's why.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by given2travel
Thanks. It doesn't appear to be much of a bargain - the base room is $1000 a night in March and thats before taxes etc.

But at this point, I'm just trying to find the best place/value. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely looking for a good deal. I don't want to spend money just to spend money.

EDIT: they must be sold out of the first few room catagories, that's why.
Right. I'm not sure I'd pay that much for that particular property. When we went, we booked one of the lower room categories and got a really nice upgrade through Amex. So for those circumstances, it was great value.

Hualalai is also really nice, but the beach is either a) not swimmable or b) not very good for swimming, depending on your perspective. The pools are terrific though.

The Maui FS can feel crowded at times, although I have not been since they added the new adult pool. The beach at the FS Maui is second-to-none.

Never been to Mexico, so I can't help you there.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The mandarin oriental Riviera maya would be my favourite of that area.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post14902415

It's been 2 years I think since I've been to the four seasons Hualalai and they've since finished a major renovation.
It's lovely,just lovely
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Hualalai could work but they only offer the rack rate, no specials.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to wait till December/January to book this trip when the hotels have more specials going on - or if March is high month and everyone will be sold out.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:22 pm

Hualalai could work but they only offer the rack rate, no specials.

I'm wondering if it makes more sense to wait till December/January to book this trip when the hotels have more specials going on - or if March is high month and everyone will be sold out.
I'd suggest going when you want to go yourself to be honest.
Hualalai is one of the more highly regarded four seasons,one of the best so like the four seasons George V in Paris,they can pretty much name their price point.

It is not a spot for night life though.It pretty much quietens down a lot well before midnight.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Earthman
I'd suggest going when you want to go yourself to be honest.
Hualalai is one of the more highly regarded four seasons,one of the best so like the four seasons George V in Paris,they can pretty much name their price point.

It is not a spot for night life though.It pretty much quietens down a lot well before midnight.
No, I didn't mean going in Dec/Jan - I meant waiting till then to book the March trip.

Re: Mayan Riviera, I just called Banyan Tree and they said the pools aren't heated and they have no plans to hear them and that February is the coldest month. My girlfriend gets really cold easily and I'd prefer to go somewhere hot. I'm thinking Costa Rica is probably the best for "hot".

Is there any place on this forum where people post the deals they got? Ie, "Just booked a week at Four Seasons Maui for $4500 using AMEX Platinum" etc)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:36 pm

No, I didn't mean going in Dec/Jan - I meant waiting till then to book the March trip.

Re: Mayan Riviera, I just called Banyan Tree and they said the pools aren't heated and they have no plans to hear them and that February is the coldest month. My girlfriend gets really cold easily and I'd prefer to go somewhere hot. I'm thinking Costa Rica is probably the best for "hot".
Looking at the weather history for Cancun, a half hour north of riviera maya by car, in february (You can look at any day in february through the last decade on that site) it looks quite warm on average in february except on days it's been raining.
Some years,it's mean temp is 24 with highs of 29c-34c! thats well into the 80's in Fahrenheit or low 90's.
There wouldn't be much call for a heated pool in those temps I would think.
January looks the coldest month.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just called Banyan Tree and they said the pools aren't heated and they have no plans to hear them
hmm. has been reported here that main are heated and that GM said they were planning to heat private.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Earthman
The mandarin oriental Riviera maya would be my favourite of that area.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post14902415

It's been 2 years I think since I've been to the four seasons Hualalai and they've since finished a major renovation.
It's lovely,just lovely

Also stayed at the MO in the Riviera Maya in dec 2009. Food was delicious, Spa and gym were excellent!
From time to time we had a ring tailed coati come by our room. Incredible!

However...

Extra costs though were expensive, and as it was high season we found it ridiclous ppl payed the staff to save sunbeds for them. Even if they came late afternoon! The beach was nice, shame about so much rubbish on the beach tv, shoes etc (not directly in front but if you walk a few metres in either way). And its not always convenient to have to depend on the buggy to come to pick you up of you are not up for walking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.