Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburg Luxury Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
http://gallivantersguide.com/ - afaik they specialize in reviewing luxury hotels and concentrate on a small audience (i.e. no affiliations, no advertising, no partnerships) - I've read a few of their reports and thought they do a pretty good job, but I haven't been following them closely.
Hmmm, interesting. Are there not tons of similar publications? I seem to get given these types of books all the time from hotels themselves.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Hmmm, interesting. Are there not tons of similar publications? I seem to get given these types of books all the time from hotels themselves.
There are indeed tons and tons of (luxury) travel guides, though each one usually has a slightly different focus/audience (or at least that's what the authors think)

Broadly speaking there are three types of publications:

1) guides/magazines published by the various consortia such as "Virtuoso est of the Best", "Virtuoso Life and Travel" etc. - you'll frequently find those in hotel rooms at luxury hotels
2) well-known travel magazines such Travel + Leisure, Business Traveller etc. - which can often be found in airline/hotel lounges
3) "independent" / niche publications / guides which are often published electronically / require a subscription
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is for discussing Hamburg luxury hotels. If you want to talk about luxury hotel publications, here's the place to go:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:51 pm

I will be in Hamburg in a few weeks. I wasn't in love with the Park Hyatt and the VJ doesn't seem to get good reviews. Any other thoughts?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I will be in Hamburg in a few weeks. I wasn't in love with the Park Hyatt and the VJ doesn't seem to get good reviews. Any other thoughts?
Just curious: Was there a common theme in the negative reviews? Having stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel several times I'd say it's definitely a 5* luxury hotel. It may be a little old-school in terms of service, but I can't think of anything negative to say about the hotel.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:41 am
Suspended

I stay at the Park Hyatt regularly (at least once a month) and it is a very nice hotel. The rooms are very large and have a distinct Hanseatic fell (and smell!) to them. The bar is nice and the breakfast is delicious. The underground pool and sauna/steam room setup is perfect to exercise/unwind after the day, though you do have to tramp through the lobby in your bathrobe. The location is perfect in that you're no more than a ten-minute walk to anywhere in central Hamburg, though for the harbour, as with most central hotels, you'll probably want to take a taxi.

The Vier Jahreszeiten is much more old-world, and while many/most rooms have been refurbished, there are still some that are, well, a little more charming than others. The location by the Alster, with stunning views (if you are on the front side) over the 'lake', is ideal for the more high-end shopping on Grosse Bleichen/Neuer Wall/Jungfernstieg, as well as the offices there. The restaurants (for example Doc Chengs and Haerlin) are top in their class in Hamburg. The bar is very cosy. It's a more old-world hotel than the Park Hyatt.

Last edited by LondonElite; Apr 25, 2015 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:32 am

Try 4J. The Park Hyatt does not belong on this forum. Don't bother.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Just curious: Was there a common theme in the negative reviews? Having stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel several times I'd say it's definitely a 5* luxury hotel. It may be a little old-school in terms of service, but I can't think of anything negative to say about the hotel.
You find my review here. I agree with many that it isn´t perfect, but I always stay at the VJ if I´m in Hamburg. Breakfast is mediocre.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
You find my review here. I agree with many that it isn´t perfect, but I always stay at the VJ if I´m in Hamburg. Breakfast is mediocre.
Interesting review. Funnily enough I thought the breakfast at VJ was excellent: The continental breakfast wasn't that special, but with the 10+ a la carte options along with an good slection of specialty coffees, champagne, juices etc. (which are all included in the buffet price) I thought it was among the best breakfasts I've had at a European hotel. Also, service during breakfast was truly outstanding (they were more than happy to provide items which were not on the menu on several occasions). To be fair, it's been 3 years since I last visited, so things may have changed...

Last edited by Jasper2009; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
To be fair, it's been 3 years since I last visited, so things may have changed...
I stay at the VJ since a few years and never found the breakfast-buffet including the a la carte items outstanding. Found the breakfast at Louis Jacob much better.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
I stay at the VJ since a few years and never found the breakfast-buffet including the a la carte items outstanding. Found the breakfast at Louis Jacob much better.
Louis Jacob (my regular overnight haunt) is pretty much the best food in the city!

Last edited by LondonElite; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:25 am

How about the rooms at the Louis Jacob versus the VJ?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by speedbird001
How about the rooms at the Louis Jacob versus the VJ?
It depends on what you like. The rooms at the LCJ are very clean and hanseatically-minimalist, if you follow me. They have beautiful wide-plank wooden floors, a bold rug, and a sofa/chair depending on the kind of room you are getting. It's elegant in an understated way, and I love the bathrooms, which are warm and functional. The breakfast is without question the best in the city. The view, particularly if you opt for a room on the Elbe, are great. Each time I have a river-view room I go to a special wine shop in Blankenese and buy a really nice Bordeaux and have the restaurant bring me dinner to my room. The rooms facing the courtyard are also nice, and if you're on the ground floor you can sit outside. Those facing the road are pretty loud (the windows seal off pretty much everything, but don't open them at night).

The 4J rooms are a little more old-fashioned and look classically old. It really depends on your preference. All LCJ rooms are of the same renovation vintage (and I understand another one is on its way soon), while the 4J has some refurbished and unrefurbished rooms to go around. A view out to the back/middle is really not great.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:01 am

Any thoughts on the Kempinski Atlantic which looks newly renovated?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

While rooms and breakfast are good at the LCJ, I would personally think that the locations is really too far outside if you want to be in Hamburg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.