Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburg Luxury Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Hi vuittonsofstyle,
I am also in the process of looking for a hotel in Hamburg and was actually leaning towards Side hotel before reading this thread... Assuming that Side is amongst the design hotels you tried, would you mind to elaborate what the problems were?
Side Hotel: Top Floors are very good - brillant modern design, very airy and light. Only servicewise its not top luxury, and it lacks a pool.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.1.21051/20.2497; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

It is actually the unpretentious service that drew me back to SIDE for a second stay. I detest the bimbo/himbo manques that sneer at guests that are not as "beautiful" as they are (such as the absymal W chain), but I found genuine warmth and caring service at SIDE (caveat: it has been a couple of years since my second visit) . And I found the room furnishings usuable, unlike the horribly uncomfortable things in rooms designed by Phillipe Starck, for one.

Of course, the biggest alure for me is that SIDE is a half block from the Staatsoper, close enough to return to one's room between acts.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:05 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by deer
Side Hotel: Top Floors are very good - brillant modern design, very airy and light. Only servicewise its not top luxury, and it lacks a pool.
Side has a pool!! In the basement. Also a SPA and a fitness center.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Hey all.

Reconsidering my choice of the Vier Fairmont for a two-day, one-night bit of relaxation. My choice is effectively 300 euro for a standard lake-view room there or a suite/js at the Louis C Jacob for effectively the same price (albeit sans dinner and breakfast). How is the physical product at the Louis C Jacob and does it compare to a legitimate five-star property? Is the location completely isolated or can I do a bit of walking in the area around the hotel?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by nba1017
Reconsidering my choice of the Vier Fairmont for a two-day, one-night bit of relaxation. My choice is effectively 300 euro for a standard lake-view room there or a suite/js at the Louis C Jacob for effectively the same price (albeit sans dinner and breakfast). How is the physical product at the Louis C Jacob and does it compare to a legitimate five-star property? Is the location completely isolated or can I do a bit of walking in the area around the hotel?
Louis C is a good quality product - with very good food. You can walk around there and watch the ships on the Elbe river and the huge Airbus factory on the other side of the river - but you are far, far away from everything else! It's on the other side of the city regarding the airport (45 taxi minutes), it is 20 taxi minutes from Reeperbahn entertainment district, 25 taxi minutes away from central Hamburg shopping and cultural attractions. Or 100+ minutes by walking...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If all you want to do is to relax and maybe take a little walk in a quiet residential area or along the Elbe river, stay at Louis C. Jacob. Otherwise stay in a central hotel where you can do whatever you feel like. Personally I would never want to stay at Louis C. Jabob simply because there is really nothing to do around the hotel.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
If all you want to do is to relax and maybe take a little walk in a quiet residential area or along the Elbe river, stay at Louis C. Jacob. Otherwise stay in a central hotel where you can do whatever you feel like. Personally I would never want to stay at Louis C. Jabob simply because there is really nothing to do around the hotel.

Hm. Fair enough. Fairmont it is. They've offered me an upgrade to a JS lakeview or a king room with a balcony--maybe I"m crazy, but a terrace in Hamburg in November seems wonderful!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:21 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Hm. Fair enough. Fairmont it is. They've offered me an upgrade to a JS lakeview or a king room with a balcony--maybe I"m crazy, but a terrace in Hamburg in November seems wonderful!
:lol: I don't think you have been to Hamburg in November before. Balconies are only for smoking at this time of year. If you want fresh air, I would rather recommend that you take a walk around Alster. This small "Binnenalster" that you will be staying next to if you just need a little walk (20 miuntes approx.), and the large "Aussenalster" for a very nice longer walk (1,5 hours around, I guess). Or bring jogging shoes: Aussenalster is known to be the most beautiful jogging route in northern Europe.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Seems you are a little crazy. Well, if you´re lucky it´ll be something like 12°C and you´ll get a little sunshine. If you´re not so lucky it´ll more be like 5°C and raining/snowing.

Nevertheless, Hamburg is a great city. If you go there at the end of November, you can also visit the Christmas markets.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:24 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Seems you are a little crazy. Well, if you´re lucky it´ll be something like 12°C and you´ll get a little sunshine. If you´re not so lucky it´ll more be like 5°C and raining/snowing.

Nevertheless, Hamburg is a great city. If you go there at the end of November, you can also visit the Christmas markets.
X mas markets open from November 22nd as far as I have understood.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

X mas markets open from November 22nd as far as I have understood.
Yep, most Christmas markets seem to open on Nov. 22, the one in front of the "Rathaus" seems to open on Dec. 19.
There are also some small (specialized) Christmas markets around the city that are only open for one weekend.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:35 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yep, most Christmas markets seem to open on Nov. 22, the one in front of the "Rathaus" seems to open on Dec. 19.
There are also some small (specialized) Christmas markets around the city that are only open for one weekend.

I saw one one site that the Xmas market one in front of the Rathaus should be open from the 19th. However, I think that must be a mistake. On their official site http://www.hamburger-weihnachtsmarkt...X/english.aspx it is written that also this Xmas market (which is by far the nicest one - especially if you go there to see flying Santa Claus who will visit the market every day at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.) opens on the 22nd November. This is the Monday after "Totensonntag" (whatever that is called in English) which I have heard is the official start date for the Xmas markets every year.
Best regards from Hamburg's biggest Xmas market fan
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw one one site that the Xmas market one in front of the Rathaus should be open from the 19th. However, I think that must be a mistake. On their official site http://www.hamburger-weihnachtsmarkt...X/english.aspx it is written that also this Xmas market (which is by far the nicest one - especially if you go there to see flying Santa Claus who will visit the market every day at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.) opens on the 22nd November. This is the Monday after "Totensonntag" (whatever that is called in English) which I have heard is the official start date for the Xmas markets every year.
Best regards from Hamburg's biggest Xmas market fan
I guess you´re right about the dates, I just did a brief search and am by no means an expert on Christmas markets. Unfortunately I won´t get to visit any Christmas markets this year due to my travel schedule.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Thumbs down Royal Meridien Hamburg on my blacklist

Originally Posted by ngfan
My first choice is the Park Hyatt followed by the Royal Meridien....
Originally Posted by deer

Le Meridien: also lake views (not so central, so its the outer city lake), but restaurant and service quality mediocre. I would judge it 4,5 stars, not 5+ stars like the three others....
Deer, after this week's return stay at Le Royal Meridien Hamburg I stand corrected and fully agree: Service has become truly mediocre, in part non-existent to simply rude. 3 stars at best. Will not return and maintain the PH my fav which plays in a different league. RM's performance even brought it on my (very small) hotel blacklist, more to come on my stay in the SPG forum.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just came across this thread and, for the sake of future research, must add my support for the Louis C. Jacob. I have logged probably over 80 nights at this hotel and really enjoy staying there, but in winter and summer. I have also stayed at the Park Hyatt many times, the Vier Jahreszeiten, the Atlantic, the Meridien, etc.

Let's a get a few things out of the way. There is no pool, and there is no shopping nearby. If that's what you want you won't be happy here. The beauty of this hotel is the very smart and 'hanseatic' atmosphere it delivers. The rooms, especially the larger rooms and junior suites are nicely appointed and comfortable. The bathrooms are fantastic. The bar is a lovely place to spend an evening, and the restaurants (even the little Jacob across the road) are recognised as some of the best in Hamburg. (The breakfast, in the main restaurant, is my favourite in Germany, especially in the summer when I sit on the terrace). There is also a great Italian restaurant in Nienstedten called Il Sole, about a five minute walk from the hotel. The airport is not far (certainly not 45 minutes, I've done it in 20).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.