English countryside hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
What an odd mix of hotels etc for Departures to feature. Did they never feature Coworth Park - surely a rather more worthy contender?

Heckfield Place is a wedding venue.

Ellenborough Park is part of the South African Mantis Collection and is near Cheltenham. Could be of interest when it opens.

Master Builder's is in the New Forest, where we already have Chewton Glen and Lime Wood. This is on the Beaulieu estate and looks a bit too 4-star for me.

Cary Arms looks good but I have not been because it is a de Savary property and I have never had an acceptable stay at any of their hotels. The food, especially, has always been awful.

Sophie Conran for Temple Guiting is basically a country house catering company. Can't imagine why you would stay.

Devonshire Arms at Pilsey - part of a chain of Devonshire Arms. This one is on the Chatsworth Estate. It's a simple English pub - probably fine, but why is Departures featuring it? No idea.
I've never liked de Savary properties either and I'm being nice with my words.

Chatsworth estate/english pub....I'm thinking Shameless (sorry)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Oh I see! They are recommending the venue rather than the food!!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
We were stuck in London at the weekend due to a flight cancellation.
Not wanting to head into town due to the big demonstration and the anarchists,we hired a car and drove out to the four seasons Hampshire.

What a pleasant surprise.
Whilst the grounds resemble a farm,I see nothing wrong with that.
We did think we were driving up to a mental institution along that drive but thats where the jokes ended and a wonderfull stay started.
The hotel was full to the gills with , yes loads of families and kids but also an ecclectic mix of people young and old.
People watching urges were satisfied.

The room was beautifull and big with a big bathroom(One of the garden mews rooms)
Service throughout was perfect.
Food was delicious.
The bar area was actually quite modernly decorated and packed but we had seats by the fire.
It was warm enough on saturday to sit outside,viewing the cattle in yonder fields and the people practicing their shooting...I don't think they hit any of the cattle!
Oh and they have Peronni on tap...what more could an earthman want

The spa was wonderfull,the pool wonderfull as was the outdoor jacuzzi.

Breakfast was a treat,plenty available and my own personal like,an omlette station.
Ten out of ten.
We loved it!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:13 pm

We were there the weekend before and also thought it was 10/10. For some reason it had never been somewhere we had seriously considered going before, but we loved it so much we are already planning the return trip!! The service is some of the best we have ever encountered.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm thinking about going on a biz trip with Mr. Ericka to London. I'd love to also visit the countryside. I have been through this thread, researching each property in great detail. Does anyone have more insight based on my personal preferences?

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Regency, Austenesque, stone structures
- Traditional decor, in good condition, reasonably updated bathrooms
- Lovely gardens, grounds and immediate surrounding area
- Access to horseback riding and sporting clays

Here are the properties I'm considering (that have availability on the dates I need):
- Lucknam Park - nice to have horses on site, how are the rooms? and the surrounding area?
- Ellenborough Park - looks gorgeous, will I like the Cotswolds?
- Babington House - lovely, how are the grounds and area?
- Hotel Endsleigh - like decor, gorgeous views and I think I'd like the Nat'l Trust houses, how far from LHR?
- Coworth - this is a wildcard, beautiful decor, would love the horses onsite but it all feels a bit new for what I "say" I am after

Last edited by Ericka; Jul 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Regency, Austenesque, stone structures
- Traditional decor, in good condition, reasonably updated bathrooms
- Lovely gardens, grounds and immediate surrounding area
- Access to horseback riding and sporting clays

Here are the properties I'm considering (that have availability on the dates I need):
- Lucknam Park - nice to have horses on site, how are the rooms? and the surrounding area?
- Ellenborough Park - looks gorgeous, will I like the Cotswolds?
- Babington House - lovely, how are the grounds and area?
- Hotel Endsleigh - like decor, gorgeous views and I think I'd like the Nat'l Trust houses, how far from LHR?
- Coworth - this is a wildcard, beautiful decor, would love the horses onsite but it all feels a bit new for what I "say" I am after
I've stayed at several of these in the past year or so, and am just returned from a stay at Lime Wood. My thoughts:

Lucknam Park has a brand-new spa building, which is very, very nice, and yes, the decor of the accommodations is traditional and in reasonably good condition, but this is really a 4-star property in my opinion. The public rooms in the main building are suitably grand and do indeed have Regency trappings, but the quality of the food and the hardware in the rooms/bathrooms is closer to 4-star standards. It's very, very close to Bath, so there's plenty to see in the area. Driving up to the house through the avenue of lime trees is really a nice arrival. If the price is right and you're fine not having all the bells and whistles of a Four Seasons room, this can be a nice place to stay.

Babington House: I really, really like the style of this place, but it is too small for the number of guests it houses, so it feels very chaotic unless you are there mid-week. There's an attractive stone chapel right in front of the house. I wouldn't quite call the decor traditional--it's a very contemporary spin on country house themes--but if the decor on the website is what you're seeking, you'll like the look of the rooms, as did I. The spa is a bit chaotic as well--no relaxation room, for example, other than the bustling foyer/check-in area.

Hotel Endsleigh: I agree with you--the decor of the public rooms on the ground floor is sensational--so stylish yet so country house. The food is tremendous, and the grounds and views are the best of any of the British country house hotels I've visited. But the rooms themselves are a bit rough--I had the most worn out mattress I've experienced in years--it literally folded up around me it was so worn out--and the bathrooms are a bit primitive--no shower curtain around the tub, which only had a handheld shower device, for example. And it's quite a ways from Heathrow--I'd plan on three hours at least.

If you like the decor of what you see on the Babington House website, you'll also like the decor at Lime Wood.

Others you might consider:

Is there a reason why Chewton Glen is not on your list? It's the only English country house hotel I've ever seen Gallivanter's Guide give their top score. I haven't stayed there yet, but am eager to do so.

I did stay at Gravetye Manor recently, and it may fit your bill: it's a gorgeous stone building, with historic gardens and within an easy drive from London. It's like Lucknam Park in that the rooms are probably 4-star rather than 5-star, but they are in reasonably good condition, and the atmosphere at Gravetye is very nice--perhaps more what you're seeking than some of the more contemporary and trendy places (Babington, LimeWood, Coworth Park). Buckland Manor in the Cotswolds is similar--a historic stone building, but I prefer the gardens and seclusion of Gravetye -- otherwise, the interiors are very similar--traditional British decor (think carpeted rooms, lots of floral patterns) and good but not the most contemporary of bathrooms.

Cowley Manor is probably too contemporary (and tired? I haven't been since 2005) for what you're seeking, although the exteriors and the grounds are really what you want from a country house hotel.

I'd definitely avoid the childrens' playground / corporate behemoth that is the Four Seasons Hampshire, which is completely lacking in charm and atmosphere.

But if I were you, based on the 4 criteria you've set, I'd pick Coworth Park--I really think it has the best mix of what you're seeking. Haven't stayed there yet myself, but Gallivanter's Guide gave it a quite favorable review, and A Rare World loved it.

Let us know what you decide--can't wait for another Ericka trip report!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:25 am

You might consider Ballyfin Desmesne over in Ireland ? if you have an extra day or two.
Not England but still!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Whatley Manor is very trad in terms of decor with outstanding gardens, but they do not offer the sporting facilities. Amazing spa though.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:17 am

In no particular order:-

In terms of proximity to London, Coworth Park is the closest and is by no means 'new'! It is a carefully renovated property with wonderful parkland and top notch equestrian facilities and other outdoor pursuits. The interiors combine, very cleverly, the old with the new, which means you will get a comfortable bed. Good food, especially in The Barn.

Lucknam Park's public areas are delightful but its rooms and suites need work, particularly the bathrooms. The food here is excellent, but the atmosphere can be a little stuffy. Very good equestrian centre.

Whatley Manor is one of my favourites. It is a small, beautiful property with fantastic gardens and is on the edge of the main Cotswold attractions, so is well positioned for excursions. The food is superb, under Martin Burge, with 2 Michelin stars in the dining room and a quirky but very good Swiss brasserie called Le Mazot (the owners are Swiss). Not a sporty place, though, so no horses etc., but they can arrange this if you talk to their GM, Peter Egli.

Babington house is best for families. Depending upon the time of year, it can be shambolic, with hordes of kids running riot. Food is good. Service is casual but friendly. Grounds are OK but not as good as some.

Hotel Endsleigh has great food, public areas and gardens but the rooms and 1 suite are awful. Dreary old fashioned bathrooms, uncomfortable beds, badly fitting windows and doors etc.

Gidleigh Park is right in the midst of Dartmoor, Devon, and has the most marvellous grounds and woodland. Superb Michelin-star food under Michael Caines and nicely refurbished rooms and suites with very good bathrooms. Activities mainly centre upon walking/hiking. Further to drive, of course.

Chewton Glen is not Regency but it is a beautiful country house hotel with top notch service and food, comfortable beds and the best bathrooms in any English country house hotel. it is also not too far from London, given its Hampshire position. It is on the edge of the New Forest, so riding can be arranged. There is also tennis, putting, croquet etc. and a very large spa. Very good food throughout.

Lime Wood, I love. It is a mix between old and new, with several new annexes, carefully designed to blend with the old. A beautiful property with a great spa, kindly staff and very good food, and it is right in the middle of the New Forest in Hampshire, so wild horses and deer are everywhere. Riding can be arranged via GM Justin Pinchbeck.

Barnsley House in Wiltshire (Cotswolds) is set in famous plantswoman, Rosemary Verey's garden, so is very famous for this. It is a tiny little property, but really quite lovely, and with its own spa. It also includes a second restaurant in The Village Pub across the road, where food is very good, as it is in the main house. No equestrian pursuits, although this part of the country is known for its horses and studs, so hotels can normally arrange something.

I have probably missed something, but don't think so.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:20 am

This is all such fabulous information. Lots to think about. Regrettably, some of the properties you all mention are booked when we will be there.

Lucknam Park, btw, is not inexpensive at about $750USD for a "deluxe" with a dowdy bathroom. Actually, did I read that a few of the better rooms have been updated???? I do love how it looks, though.

Chewton Glen seems to have it all in terms of location and activites but there is something I'm not loving about it. Maybe the architecture is too similar to what we find in the US.

Coworth is only 20 minutes from LHR. I'm trying to figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Who knew this would be so difficult?!?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:21 pm

Any word yet on Ellenborough Park? The website is very sexy!
Unfortunately, an aerial shot of the hotel shows the setting is not rural.

Last edited by Ericka; Jul 18, 2011 at 5:02 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Any word yet on Ellenborough Park? The website is very sexy!
Unfortunately, an aerial shot of the hotel shows the setting is not rural.
I never stayed at Ellenborough because I always saw it as a wedding venue. Equally, it is in Cheltenham, so not as rural as the classic English country house hotel. I also worry that it is managed by Mantis - the South African group. Maybe I am biased, but to me, it looks a little Disney-like - a foreigner's view of what English history is all about.

As for Lucknam park - yes, some of the rooms in the annexes have been refurbished and have a more modern feel, but even here, the bathrooms are not exactly state of the art. No aircon in most of them either.

Lucknam Park, btw, is not inexpensive at about $750USD for a "deluxe" with a dowdy bathroom. Actually, did I read that a few of the better rooms have been updated???? I do love how it looks, though.

Chewton Glen is not as old as some, so I can see why you think it resembles US architecture. If you want something very Cotswold, 17th/18th Century, then Whatley Manor is a good choice.

Coworth is only 20 minutes from LHR. This is a good thing! You are way out in the countryside, by Windsor Park, not under the flight path!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:32 am

Great info as always. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:43 pm

Last minute offers at Limewood

For those of you who have Limewood in their backyard there are last minute offers of 195 pds for the next couple of days on the Limewood website. www.limewoodhotel.co.uk
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zigzag
For those of you who have Limewood in their backyard there are last minute offers of 195 pds for the next couple of days on the Limewood website. www.limewoodhotel.co.uk
I will be there tomorrow. Can't wait (despite this awful weather).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.