English countryside hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by zigzag
The Close Hotel needs a stylist for their website, look at the pillows on the sofa's, it looks like someone just got up from sitting on them. I also see a table tent on one of the tables advertising something. Seeing that makes me look for another place to stay.
Oh, well spotted! Methinks The Close does not merely require a stylist for its website but maybe for the whole hotel?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard
Barnsley House would get my vote for a relaxing break away. Although I am slightly biased as we had our wedding at the hotel a few years ago. Still, the selection of rooms has something to suit everyone, from some of the more quirky rooms in the main hotel to the more remote, out of the way 'rooms' in teh stable yard and garden.

Lime Wood is also on the list to spend some time at, it does look very inviting!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by CocktailLounge
Barnsley House would get my vote for a relaxing break away. Although I am slightly biased as we had our wedding at the hotel a few years ago. Still, the selection of rooms has something to suit everyone, from some of the more quirky rooms in the main hotel to the more remote, out of the way 'rooms' in teh stable yard and garden.

Lime Wood is also on the list to spend some time at, it does look very inviting!
It is 100% better since you stayed there. The Calcot people have done a really good job.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
In April, we stayed at the new Bowood Hotel on the Bowood House estate which is located just outside of Marlborough, and not too far from Bath. The House is old, and very interesting, but the Hotel is a new venture of the resident Marquess and his wife, and it is located in a new building on the estate grounds. While I approached the new building with trepidation, as it maybe just misses as to exterior architecture, the inside is quite beautifully decorated and is quite stunning. They used lots of bright colors, and the hotel library is filled with books from the personal collection of the Marquess. It really gives the place a lot of character.

I particularly liked our corner room at the hotel, which was large and comfortabley furnished. The bathrooms are perhaps a tiny bit bland, but they were quite serviceable and fresh.

The grounds of the hotel are stunning. The gym is great. The location is close to so many things. It's a quick drive to Bath and all its attractions. I also have always thought Marlborough was a quite an interesting small English town, with nice shopping, and some good restaurant choices. Also within a short drive: Stonehenge, Avebury, Stourhead (fantastic English garden), and Longleat. Not to mention Bowood itself which is worth a visit. If you have kids, the house at Bowood has a WONDERFUL adventure playground.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a great new addition to the English country house scene. (Also, I am NOT a fan of Cliveden, having had a couple of bad experiences there. I so want to like Cliveden, but can't....)
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:23 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
We had tea at Cliveden a few days ago and I can't imagine staying there. The property is really run down, and the service was lackluster at best.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt lifetime Diamond, BA Gold, Amex ?
coworth Park

Can hold its own with any of those all ready mentioned, and I am sure will be beating most shortly as it irons out any opening hiccups.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by BLG
We had tea at Cliveden a few days ago and I can't imagine staying there. The property is really run down, and the service was lackluster at best.
+1^ Frightful place.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
+1^ Frightful place.
Michael? It's not you is it?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Michael? It's not you is it?
No, because I don't drink orange juice or wear trainers to dinner.....Calm down, dear....
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

latest departures mentions some of above. also the following - thoughts?

recent changes >
- devonshire arms pilsey - 2010 - refurb
- sophie conran for temple guiting - launched 2009, property redone 2006
- cary arms - 2009 - new owner (savary) and refurb
- master builder's - 2008 - new owner and refurb

upcoming >
- ellenborough park - may 2011
- heckfield place (ex skibo charles oak) - spring 2012
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:29 am

Not directly one you have mentioned Kage, but I had a terrible recent stay at Coworth. Excellent hard product, but the service...my oh my...really terrible. Not one single room service order was correct, and there was always something wrong when the room was serviced (towels forgotten, amenities not replenished etc). Would not go back until I was confident that the soft product was vastly improved...which I am sure it will be in time...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
latest departures mentions some of above. also the following - thoughts?

recent changes >
- devonshire arms pilsey - 2010 - refurb
- sophie conran for temple guiting - launched 2009, property redone 2006
- cary arms - 2009 - new owner (savary) and refurb
- master builder's - 2008 - new owner and refurb

upcoming >
- ellenborough park - may 2011
- heckfield place (ex skibo charles oak) - spring 2012
What an odd mix of hotels etc for Departures to feature. Did they never feature Coworth Park - surely a rather more worthy contender?

Heckfield Place is a wedding venue.

Ellenborough Park is part of the South African Mantis Collection and is near Cheltenham. Could be of interest when it opens.

Master Builder's is in the New Forest, where we already have Chewton Glen and Lime Wood. This is on the Beaulieu estate and looks a bit too 4-star for me.

Cary Arms looks good but I have not been because it is a de Savary property and I have never had an acceptable stay at any of their hotels. The food, especially, has always been awful.

Sophie Conran for Temple Guiting is basically a country house catering company. Can't imagine why you would stay.

Devonshire Arms at Pilsey - part of a chain of Devonshire Arms. This one is on the Chatsworth Estate. It's a simple English pub - probably fine, but why is Departures featuring it? No idea.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"some of above" = lime wood, coworth, barnsley, and dining venue @ amberley

i dont disagree, for example im not sure why i assumed heckfield was hotel when not all were. i just wondered if some of the changes were for the better.

http://www.sophieconrantg.com/?pid=14&parent=3
2-3 nts £363 > £697 per nt (if per person then £726 > £1394 per nt)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"some of above" = lime wood, coworth, barnsley, and dining venue @ amberley

i dont disagree, for example im not sure why i assumed heckfield was hotel when not all were. i just wondered if some of the changes were for the better.

http://www.sophieconrantg.com/?pid=14&parent=3
2-3 nts £363 > £697 per nt (if per person then £726 > £1394 per nt)
Really? They think Amberley Castle is a good dining venue?

Glad, though, they covered Lime Wood, Coworth and Barnsley House, which is much improved under its new ownership.

I guess the changes in the other places you mentioned are good, but I would not recommend any of them, although Ellenborough Park could be interesting - I will keep an eye on that.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this was what they mentioned >
http://www.amberleycastle.co.uk/fine...istletoe_lodge

the article >
http://www.departures.com/articles/e...ekend-getaways

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.