English countryside hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English countryside hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Great summary by Vuittons - it is a shame that so many of these English country hotels are shabby, expensive and offer relatively poor service. What about Coworth Park - part of Dorchester Collection? I seem to remember reading that this is about to open and might be worth looking into as it'll be new.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I have been researching a weekend break for late October/early November. Priorities are pretty countryside, good food, roaring fires and within 2.5 hours of London. FS Hampshire is an obvious choice, but the photos I have seen just don't appeal to me - it seems to lack warmth and the restaurant looks like an 80's nightclub. Otherwise Whatley Manor looks lovely, although the rooms perhaps a little chintzy. Babington House - trendy, but probably not great service and, according to Tripadvisor, swarming with out of control children. Anywhere else I should consider?
Your sense of each of the places you mention in the post aligns perfectly with my experiences at them--

I thought FS Hampshire was a real disappointment, utterly lacking in all of the reasons I'd wanted a weekend in the English countryside. The grounds are in recovery, with a lot of planting of juvenile trees that hopefully, 10-20 years down the road, will provide the sort of lush greenery that you expect in the English countryside. Now, the area around the hotel is quite barren. Inside, you feel as if you're in a corporate hotel anywhere in the world. And despite the fact that they claim that there is a "kids free" time in the indoor pool, the hotel staff told me that they never enforce that, so there were screaming kids everywhere, so much so that I could hear them all through my spa treatment (which FS then comped).

Whatley Manor is the most polished experience I've had at an English countryside hotel, but I wasn't crazy about the interior decor. For me, it's all about those tremendous gardens, which perhaps you could enjoy just by dining on the terrace there, rather than staying?

Babington House--I posted about my experience there on Trip Advisor last October. I love the interior decor, but the house is simply too small for the number of guests there--and the ground floor layout is absurd, so that there are people constantly coming and going through tiny corridors that connect the lobby to the dining areas, and the spa similarly is just overrun with guests . . . I retreated to my room for virtually my interior time there--because it was just too frenzied and chaotic everywhere else.

I went to Cowley Manor in 2005 and loved it for the views from the private terrace associated with the top rooms in the main house. So I'm glad to hear that it's been refurbished, since the interior design was starting to get a bit tired even in 2005.

I cannot wait to go to Lime Wood, which I've been following religiously since they first put up their gorgeous website. That would definitely be my choice for a November trip.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks Groombridge. I just received the latest Gallivanters Guide, which helpfully discusses some of these properties. Lime Wood does indeed look fantastic, but I will be there for a wedding next summer, so would like to try somewhere else for November. Barnsley House is the one that has caught my attention most on Vuittons' list, as well as Whatley Manor for the Michelin 2 star food.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:36 am

Dorchester Collection's Coworth Park will soft open this September. Could be interesting as Dorchester have no experience of running a country house hotel!

Re: Whatley Manor, be careful which room/suite you go for. Of the rooms, #10 is by far the best. Of the suites, #24 is best - it's in the eaves, but it has the best bathroom in the whole hotel. Decor has improved here since they completely re-modelled the fine dining room (for the 2nd time). Lounges are very elegant and comfortable, too. Le Mazot, the hotel's Swiss bistro is eclectic and very Swiss, but then so are the owners. The Restaurant's cuisine, by Martin Burge, is justifiably 2-star Michelin, with loads of little amuses interspersed between courses. Best start off in the Lounge with a glass of something, at which point canapés should arrive.... It's worth staying here as the service is very good for the UK and the experience is wholly relaxing. Stylish spa, too.

Whatley is a more 'polished' experience than Barnsley House, but it really depends upon what you are looking for.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is worth noting, by default, that if you DO have kids then Four Seasons Hampshire is great!

When it first opened it was fairly kidfree. I think what has happened is that lots of people who went when it first opened and were childless have continued to go as they got kids! I include me here. The hotel has done nothing to encourage it, indeed they took out the little childrens cinema they used to have (opposite the Asprey shop, which also disappeared).

The FS can be quite cheap these days. If you get the 3 for 2 rate, room only, and then book it via a Virtuoso agent, you get free breakfast thrown in and GBP 57 of lunch credit. You can get a room for well under GBP 200 per night, with breakfast and lunch, on this basis.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by polonius
I love the Ashdown Park hotel in Sussex. Very close to London (just outside the M25, IIRC), although it can definitely take 2.5 hours if the traffic is bad. For me it's got that balance of luxury but still with a distinctive character. Beautiful grounds, fantastic for walking or running. Very nice rooms.
Whilst I have not stayed here, I have organised several functions here, but won't be doing so again in the foreseeable future. Whilst it may be fine as a hotel (I can't comment), it has of late gained a bad reputation for events, both in my experience and that of a wedding photographer friend.

Nearby Alexander House has a better reputation, but they've had a big extension lately and I'm not sure how much that will have changed the character of the place.

Gravetye Manor went bust earlier this year. I've not heard any reports of how it has changed since the new owner took over.

I know you said country house hotel, but have you thought about one of the Hotel du Vins? Maybe Winchester, Brighton or Tunbridge Wells? All interesting towns though missing the peace and quiet of the countryside.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It is worth noting, by default, that if you DO have kids then Four Seasons Hampshire is great!

When it first opened it was fairly kidfree. I think what has happened is that lots of people who went when it first opened and were childless have continued to go as they got kids! I include me here. The hotel has done nothing to encourage it, indeed they took out the little childrens cinema they used to have (opposite the Asprey shop, which also disappeared).

The FS can be quite cheap these days. If you get the 3 for 2 rate, room only, and then book it via a Virtuoso agent, you get free breakfast thrown in and GBP 57 of lunch credit. You can get a room for well under GBP 200 per night, with breakfast and lunch, on this basis.
Yes I noticed that rates are fairly reasonable too. They also don't seem to insist upon 2 night minimum stays at weekends, unlike most other places. Sometimes I just can't face the idea of that hellish Friday night drive out of town!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Yes I noticed that rates are fairly reasonable too. They also don't seem to insist upon 2 night minimum stays at weekends, unlike most other places. Sometimes I just can't face the idea of that hellish Friday night drive out of town!
It is also worth noting whilst whilst the 3 for 2 often isnt available for a Fri-Mon stay, it may be there for a Sat-Tue stay. Not sure why this is the case, but it is.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:59 pm

I really enjoyed The Close Hotel in Tetbury. Good shopping unless it's a Bank Holiday weekend. Great food and terrific shortbread cookies at the bedside.
THE CLOSE HOTEL Tel: 01666 502272
Rating: AA 3 STAR
Address: 8 Long Street, Tetbury, Glos., GL8 8AQ
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.theclose-hotel.com
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by JanePond
I really enjoyed The Close Hotel in Tetbury. Good shopping unless it's a Bank Holiday weekend. Great food and terrific shortbread cookies at the bedside.
Hmmm...not sure I agree with you. At one time, this hotel was run by Richard Branson's Virgin Hotel group, and it was not great then. I don't think it has improved either. Certainly not what I would put in the luxury class.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:11 am

Perhaps also worth mentioning Bovey Castle, not as "family" as FS Hampshire. Rooms and services are decently English but modern,and the great thing is that it's a short drive to Gidleigh Park where the 2-star restaurant serves amazing food.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SoluxTravel
Perhaps also worth mentioning Bovey Castle, not as "family" as FS Hampshire. Rooms and services are decently English but modern,and the great thing is that it's a short drive to Gidleigh Park where the 2-star restaurant serves amazing food.
No, it is not worth mentioning Bovey Castle. Rooms and services are not, in the remotest sense, high end. Much better idea to stay at Gidleigh Park in the first place.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
No, it is not worth mentioning Bovey Castle. Rooms and services are not, in the remotest sense, high end. Much better idea to stay at Gidleigh Park in the first place.
Mmm, Gidleigh Park doesn't have a pool though. But I'm with you to exclude Bovey in the high end, the only reason I brought it up was that I thought if FS Hampshire made it on the list (given that it's not THAT great by high end standard) perhaps and only perhaps, we can push ourselves to discuss bovey castle in the same thread. Look forward to Lime Wood!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by SoluxTravel
Mmm, Gidleigh Park doesn't have a pool though. But I'm with you to exclude Bovey in the high end, the only reason I brought it up was that I thought if FS Hampshire made it on the list (given that it's not THAT great by high end standard) perhaps and only perhaps, we can push ourselves to discuss bovey castle in the same thread. Look forward to Lime Wood!
Afraid not. FS Hampshire maybe be a bit big and corporate but it does cater to families with kids really well - better than anywhere else in England, whereas Bovey Castle is not in the same league, in any respect.

If you want a pool (or pools) then try Chewton Glen, which has outdoor pool, indoor pool and hydrotherapy pool.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JanePond
The Close Hotel needs a stylist for their website, look at the pillows on the sofa's, it looks like someone just got up from sitting on them. I also see a table tent on one of the tables advertising something. Seeing that makes me look for another place to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.