Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Turks & Caicos Trip Report: Grace Bay Club & Amanyara

Turks & Caicos Trip Report: Grace Bay Club & Amanyara

Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:47 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Great report, Ericka! Nice to hear what it's like inside - we just returned from PLS and only got to see the resort from our dive boat offshore. At one dive site, there is a deck chair on the reef at the top of the wall - the dive guides joke that it's the only thing they were able to sneak out of Amanyara.

And yes, the diving was superb - we saw turtles on every single dive we did there at Northwest Point. ^
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Nice photos - thanks for posting!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Amazing photos of Amanyara Ericka! I've thought about going there quite a bit since there is a direct flight from London, but the high prices have made me wary. Might be time to revisit that!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Gorgeous photos! Thanks again.^
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ericka
AMANYARA
The Virtuoso breakfast was American continental. It included a choice of juice, cereal, basket of pastries (yes, very good), and choice of coffee. After 12 Amans, I don’t recall ever being restricted to what we could or could not order for breakfast, but then again, we usually stay longer than a weekend and take advantage of some other property-specific package. Nickel and diming? Well, it just didn’t feel very “Aman”.
I am at Amanpulo now. I was very surprised to learn that the Virtuoso breakfast was only continental here as well, given that at Amandari and Amankila I got to enjoy my favorite bami goreng every morning together with whatever else I felt like. I received a "continental breakfast" card upon arrival, which appears to be designed to clarify precisely what little continental breakfast entails (coffee/tea/hot chocolate, and fruit plate, and juice/smoothie/yoghurt, and bread basket, and a bowl of cereal or oatmeal porridge.

So, since I don't eat breads or cereal or porridge for breakfast, I guess for me, the breakfast benefit turned into a 'free juice with breakfast'...., as I will be ordering what I like anyway....

This is on a six night stay by the way...

Is this a downgrade of Virtuoso benefits, a rule that is not stuck to, or standard for Amanpulo? I now note that on my reservation, it does say "continental breakfast", but I guess it never dawned on me at the time...

By the way, complete trip report will be coming later in November...

Last edited by blueline7; Nov 4, 2012 at 10:38 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by blueline7
I am at Amanpulo now. I was very surprised to learn that the Virtuoso breakfast was only continental here as well, given that at Amandari and Amankila I got to enjoy my favorite bami goreng every morning together with whatever else I felt like. I received a "continental breakfast" card upon arrival, which appears to be designed to clarify precisely what little continental breakfast entails (coffee/tea/hot chocolate, and fruit plate, and juice/smoothie/yoghurt, and bread basket, and a bowl of cereal or oatmeal porridge.

So, since I don't eat breads or cereal or porridge for breakfast, I guess for me, the breakfast benefit turned into a 'free juice with breakfast'...., as I will be ordering what I like anyway....

This is on a six night stay by the way...

Is this a downgrade of Virtuoso benefits, a rule that is not stuck to, or standard for Amanpulo? I now note that on my reservation, it does say "continental breakfast", but I guess it never dawned on me at the time...

By the way, complete trip report will be coming later in November...
This is only the 2nd Aman I've heard of doing this. Better not be a trend.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
This is only the 2nd Aman I've heard of doing this. Better not be a trend.
I'm almost certain that it was the same at Amanpuri when we went earlier this year. However, I think they only charged us for the difference between the price of the continental breakfast and what we actually ordered.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by kurl
I'm almost certain that it was the same at Amanpuri when we went earlier this year. However, I think they only charged us for the difference between the price of the continental breakfast and what we actually ordered.
I can confirm this both at Puri and Summer Palace as well. I also had to have them correct the bills at checkout to only charge the delta in price for each breakfast.

Not a pleasant or expected experience.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

Great report; we are heading to Amanyara in a few weeks, and I wanted to see if there are any new thoughts/recs/tips we should be aware of before traveling?

Also, feel free to request any pics for the inevitably long TR
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Just returned from Amanyara today after a 10 nights stay. Another great Aman stay. Will spare some info for a planned TR but here is a summary:

Excellent management team with Sven van den Broeck from Belgium as F&B manager and executive assistant manager (and a potential GM IMHO) standing in for GM Marko Franck who is on vacation currently, Jana Schumann from Germany as guest relations manager, Ben from Germany as new Villa/Pavilion manager and the assistant F&B manager from UK all interacting with guests on a twice, thrice daily basis in a very positive way unseen in any other Aman I have been to before ! ^ Kudos to them for that.

Food by Fritz Zwahlen from Switzerland and his multicultural team is still outstanding (International, Thai, Japanese or anything to your liking). Met him on his last day prior to his annual leave and shared with him good memories from Pulo, Galla and Wella.

Not much to do on the island outside the property other than kite surfing, going to Grace Bay for shopping/gambling once or doing an island tour to get an overview. No cultural activities to speak of (which some Amanjunkies seem to moan about quite often but hey, it is T&C, not Venice or Luang Prabang). It's all about relaxation and water sports. Snorkeling and diving in fine. You get a daily visit from the local stingray right on the shallow beach part and occasionally by a 7 foot long reef shark right in front of your beach lounger (no worries, they are friendly chaps, just keep a relaxed eye on them to avoid accidents). The beach and water is stunning and almost comparable with Amanpulo.

A big group of dolphins passed by the resort at lunch one day. The boats were started immediately, we followed and met them some miles away. What a great experience that was to see them jumping around and playing with the boats !

Clientele a bit different than at Asian Amans. Mostly US and Brazilians due to its location. First time in my Aman history I saw some guests that didn't fit in (Partying Brazilian couples with ladies from the plastic surgery department playing music on the beach and at the main pool on their stereo misinterpreting Aman as the LV Hard Rock Hotel) but they calmed down quickly and left after three days. Otherwise mostly honeymooners like us and couples seeking quietness, low key luxury and style.

The design of the property is stunning and timeless (Gathy design). Spa very good with yoga teacher from India and massage staff from Amanwana.

A big operation with smaller guest:employee ratio than in Asians Amans though. Along with some employees on vacation now golf cart transfers were slowly responding at times and villa hosts helping out in the lobby and restaurant.

Some local staff are somewhat incommunicative or lethargic (un-Aman) like the guy who picked us up at the airport (not offering any drink, the available wet towels or a music playlist for the transfer) but most of them along with the whole Asian staff are great caring and lovely people and up to Aman standards. Sometimes service not always as perfectly polished as in some other Asian properties but still way above anything I have experienced in the American hemisphere.

Overall a great property with excellent, professional yet close management interaction and marvelous food. Again, a great stay with no regrets.

You should book the "Season of Discovery" package as it gives excellent value on the food and other inclusions. Food is very expensive due to high import taxes. Everything except for some fish has to be imported ! Nice perks are the free minibar (except spirits) and free phone calls worldwide.

BTW - occupancy rate was 85 % at times for the pavilions and low for the villas although it is off season now.

Last edited by ngfan; Aug 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:08 pm

Wonderful! Sounds absolutely perfect, and I cannot wait to arrive in a few weeks.

Like you, we booked the "Season of Discovery", which is an excellent value ... though we only have time for 5 nights

Am totally fine simply experiencing the resort; though we were at FS Nevis in early June, will be nice to relax on the beach again and decompress, so for that reason I'm actually a bit relieved there really is not anything else to do on the island.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ngfan, great details! any special orders for dining?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Wonderful! Sounds absolutely perfect, and I cannot wait to arrive in a few weeks.

Like you, we booked the "Season of Discovery", which is an excellent value ... though we only have time for 5 nights

Am totally fine simply experiencing the resort; though we were at FS Nevis in early June, will be nice to relax on the beach again and decompress, so for that reason I'm actually a bit relieved there really is not anything else to do on the island.
Please let us know how Amanyara compares to FS Nevis. I'm eager to know
how your stay at Amanyara goes.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Wink

Thanks Ericka. Your reports are always a gateway to dreamland and make it even more difficult each time to decide on which first Aman resort I should visit (still an Aman virgin and stuck (don't misunderstand, I'm already very happy with them though) with the standard 5 stars such as PH, GH, HR, RC, MO and so on).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
With kids...

I'm planning to book here for late august and am traveling with a 2.5 yo and 6 mos old.

Regarding room style: We try wherever we go to stay in suites that have a separated second room (doesn't need to be bedroom per se) that we can sleep the kids in cribs in at 7.30pm, leaving another space for us to be after they're down. Can anyone advise as to whether the pavilions have a separate enough secondary, closed-off space for the babies? The Sri Lanka reservations office seemed to think so but also hesitated to call any area other than the main part of the pavilion a separate room. I know there's obviously an outdoor area we could spend time in.

Regarding upgrades, what are the odds on getting upgraded to an ocean or pool pavilion if we book a standard (late August)?

And finally, any thoughts on bugs/mosquitos or humidity/temperatures that we should consider in terms of babies? They're both well behaved and will stay with us. We're just looking for a little time on the beach and in our room to relax and recharge... I'm just a touch concerned about hurricane season.

Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.