Very nice hotel as you would expect.

A1 location
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I'm staying there right now

Boy it's hot in Shanghai

Very nice hotel as you would expect.

A1 location
Are you there for a convention or trade show? It's the only reason I can think of why you would stay at the R-C as it's steps away. Glad it is living up to expectations.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Are you there for a convention or trade show? It's the only reason I can think of why you would stay at the R-C as it's steps away. Glad it is living up to expectations.
Personally I have been disappointed a few times at this hotel. Many years ago it was the only game in town- but the service is not that great, and as noted the location is not particularly convenient.

The JW Marriott down the street is much better.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
As is the Royal Meridien imo. Of course, the Peninsula tops them all on the Puxi side.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Personally I have been disappointed a few times at this hotel. Many years ago it was the only game in town- but the service is not that great, and as noted the location is not particularly convenient.

The JW Marriott down the street is much better.
While JW and LRM are both nicer than the Portman in many respects, the I strongly prefer the Portman's location to People's Square. Furthermore, the pool is still one of the best places in Puxi to beat the summer heat.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:16 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, where your opinion is always wrong....
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I know that I posted this in other threads in this forum but I dont regard say, the Portman, JW or LRM as "luxury properties" rather I feel they are business properties. This does not make them any less nice or not "5 star." As a marked contrast, my recent stay at the Peninsula in SH (for business ironically) convinced me that it was much more of a "luxury" property than the former three given the design, services, atmosphere, facilities and just overall personality of the hotel.

Clearly everyone will have a different defintion of "luxury" or "business."

That being said, while I don't think the Portman is anywhere near the creme de la creme of Ritz Carlton (the property has been slammed repeatedly in this forum and given my very limited experiences at other properties), I've never had a problem there and like the hotel. The location is absolutely fantastic.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Color me a fan of this hotel too, and the neighborhood. I especially like the Club service and the Italian restaurant Palladio. It is the finest Italian restaurant in Asia. Even if you don't stay at the Portman, you should try Palladio.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...io/Default.htm
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:59 pm

the local girls(excuse me, I mean ladies) seem to know this hotel very well... when I mentioned that I was staying at the R.C., some of them actually begged me to take them for a tour of my room.

this is my favourite hotel in the entire country of China. Once inside, I forget that I'm in a communist country.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by MiloDrinker
the local girls(excuse me, I mean ladies) seem to know this hotel very well... when I mentioned that I was staying at the R.C., some of them actually begged me to take them for a tour of my room.

this is my favourite hotel in the entire country of China. Once inside, I forget that I'm in a communist country.
The "local ladies" will know every 5 star joint in town... Funny story, I remember being with a few friends at a bar who were buying said ladies shots (I sure wasn't). We were all dressed very casually (me in shorts and a tshirt, the two friends in ratty pants and ill fitting polo shirts). Of course the two guys were also 20 years older than me and of a lighter complextion than myself, and local expats. The women did not leave them alone and ignored me, until one of my friends said, "you know, he's the one here on business and staying in a nice hotel." The women did not believe them until I slapped down the Portman room card on the table. The look on their faces was priceless

I would say, although the CCP is in power, the country most certainly is not Communist!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.