Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which city hotel as addition to Aman Beijing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN

Will stay at Aman Beijing with my wife in September for 5 nights. Since it is quite far from the center, we think of adding two more nights inside Beijing in another hotel.

Reviews seem to be very mixed:
- Pen and Regent close to the sights, but somehow worn
- Park Hyatt and Opposite House very well designed and interesting, but not so central
- Grand Hyatt very central, but maybe to huge.
- St. Regis very central, but maybe too Starwood.
- RCs very oldish design and very businessman oriented.

What would you recommend, with emphasis on
- friendly, brillant service
- scenic views from big room windows
- good food
?

Thank you all!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I recommend these three:

1. Raffles-Location is right on Chang An Ave, down the street from the Forbidden City. Its very Raffles, so everything is old world colonial. There are floor butlers too. However the downside is that its a little short on facilities. And their spa is not a Raffles Amrita Spa, its contracted to a local spa company.

2. Peninsula-If you are looking more more sleek contemporary, the Peninsula is nice. Location is good on Wangfujing as there is a shopping mall and shops and restaurant all in walking distance. If you book a suite category on one of the upper floors, such as a duplex suite, you have views of the roofs of the Forbidden City. Typical Peninsula features throughout such as marble bathrooms, TV's in tubs, and decent stylish F&B options. I wouldn't say its tired, from my experiences, but some of the standard/deluxe rooms are a little small compared to the competition.

3. Grand Hyatt- I don't think the hotel feels that huge. Sure its bigger feeling than the Raffles and Peninsula, but it has alot more facilities too. Including the famous Grand Hyatt disney style indoor tropical pool. That's if you are into pools. Many F& B options. The Peking duck here is actually respected even for Beijing. And its got a great central location. The main downside in my opinion is the fact that its part of a huge international business complex, so the lobby crowded with businessmen all day.

I've never been a fan of the St. Regis Beijing. it feels like a western focused business hotel. Its luxurious, but I would feel uncomfortable as a leisure traveler here.

I think the choice comes down to interior style preferences and facilities.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
+1 for the duplex suites at the Pen. Not my favorite Pen of all time as a property overall, but certainly a pleasant stay in those rooms and a good enough club floor on 13. The only hassle (if you consider stairs a hassle) is only (I think) one elevator runs up to 14 where the duplex suites are so you end up taking the stairs from 13-14 a lot to save time
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
You might consider the Hilton Wangfujing. It has only been open about 2 or so years now. Very modern, large rooms, marble bathrooms (separate tub, shower, toilet and dressing rooms with smoked doors or large sliding glass doors for complete privacy, TV, etc.) A very helpful staff. It is located adjacent to a major mall which will also provide direct access to Wangfujing and about a 10-15 minute walk to the Forbidden City. The staff (apart from Housekeeping) speak very good English and are most helpful. The lounge (on the 16th floor if I recall) is quite nice serving a full array of cooked and cold dishes throughout the day as well as cocktails in the evening and offers views of the Forbidden City, again the lounge staff are outstanding. The last time I was there, I arrived at about 11 pm and was feeling rather poorly. The Asst. Manager noted this and immediately sent someone out for some Pepto like medicine and had it delivered to my room. While I paid for the tablets, he refused any kind of gratuity. Additionally, the doormen would always write down where I was going in Chineese and inform me of what the approximate rate should be in the event the "meter malfunctioned."
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:53 pm

I just stayed at the park Hyatt and while it's one of the best in Beijing, the location isn't ideal if you want to see the sites. I would, however, go to the restaurant on the top floor for dinner as it has a great view (sort of like the Park Hyatt in Tokyo). I would suggest trying the Club floor(s) at the Grand Hyatt. The location can't be beat and the service is acceptable.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:52 am

The Gallivanters Guide recently recommended The Ritz Carlton Beijing on their twitter page

http://twitter.com/Gallivanters

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...et/Default.htm
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by deer
Will stay at Aman Beijing with my wife in September for 5 nights. Since it is quite far from the center, we think of adding two more nights inside Beijing in another hotel.
Make sure to bring a printout of the taxi card when you arrive. When I was at Aman Summer Palace, not a single taxi driver had any idea the place existed. You might bring a Google map of Summer Palace also, so that the driver has an idea as to the general area. Note that they were building a subway stop about 400 yards from ASP. If that stop is operational, you might not need to move hotels.

Opposite House was very nice, although far from the places I needed to be in business. Also, the surrounding area is DULL on the weekend.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the stop wasnt open or the line?

line 4 seems to have opened Sept 28 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_4,_Beijing_Subway

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=beijin...,0.016394&z=16
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the stop wasnt open or the line?

line 4 seems to have opened Sept 28 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_4,_Beijing_Subway

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=beijin...,0.016394&z=16
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...13937&t=h&z=17
I was referring to the gray structure to the right of the pond-sludge-thing in the middle. It wasn't open when I was there a few weeks ago. In this sat view, Aman Summer Palace is directly left from the pond. This seems like more of a walk than I remember it and perhaps not a good option. It hasn't opened yet anyway.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Make sure to bring a printout of the taxi card when you arrive. When I was at Aman Summer Palace, not a single taxi driver had any idea the place existed. You might bring a Google map of Summer Palace also, so that the driver has an idea as to the general area. Note that they were building a subway stop about 400 yards from ASP. If that stop is operational, you might not need to move hotels.

Opposite House was very nice, although far from the places I needed to be in business. Also, the surrounding area is DULL on the weekend.
Unless there was some kind of construction or crackdown, there is no way the bolded can be true. The Opposite House is in Sanlitun, and around are lots of bars, some clubs as well as lots of shopping. I've seen the area jam packed on Sunday afternoons as well as on evenings.. And at night...

That being said its far more sanitized (and family/tourist friendly), though less charming, than it used to be.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although nothing even close to the Aman, I actually would recommend you book a suite on the Horizon Club level at the Kerry Centre Hotel (managed by Shangri-La). The location is excellent, the hotel is good quality, and the Horizon Club is quite nice.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Unless there was some kind of construction or crackdown, there is no way the bolded can be true. The Opposite House is in Sanlitun, and around are lots of bars, some clubs as well as lots of shopping. I've seen the area jam packed on Sunday afternoons as well as on evenings.. And at night...

That being said its far more sanitized (and family/tourist friendly), though less charming, than it used to be.
The Aman is near the Summer Palace, which is indeed a dull area. I'm not sure how the Opposite House worked its way into this discussion unless there's a second one that I don't know about.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not sure how the Opposite House worked its way into this discussion unless there's a second one that I don't know about.
Because I brought it in to discussion in the initial post: It looks like being the best designed, most avantgarde hotel in Beijing. That's why I ask all of you, if I should stay there, or if it's too far away from everything?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moondog, Jamoldo quoted and bolded what they were responding to...

bearbrick gave OH a year ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11806032-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12430362-post109.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deer
Because I brought it in to discussion in the initial post: It looks like being the best designed, most avantgarde hotel in Beijing. That's why I ask all of you, if I should stay there, or if it's too far away from everything?
Sorry about that. Sanlitun is about 15 minutes away from the sites downtown in moderate traffic. I personally don't see much value in staying really close to the sites themselves because dining and entertainment options are much better in the east/northeast. So, Kerry, Westin, Kunlun, China World, Park Hyatt, JW Marriott, RC (cbd), Kempinski, and even the Great Wall Sheraton are all preferable to the downtown hotels. Location wise, the St. Regis is a good compromise between to the two areas (10 minutes to both Sanlitun and Wangfujing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.