Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

luxury family resorts driving from chicago

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, National

Family recently moved to Chicago. We're looking for family friendly resorts which are luxury level for a trip where we can drive. Beach doesn't matter too much, and we'd be open to going north to lake areas, but don't know the best places.

We've looked at the Grand Hotel, but would like other options as well. We don't know the difference between the lakes/areas, and we really don't want to go to some cheesy place. Three kids ages 8, 5, and 2, and three adults.

Suggestions?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I don't know if this qualifies as luxury:

http://www.destinationkohler.com/hot...tac_index.html
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:35 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Kohler is a possibility though I haven't been there in many years and it could be very run down. Plus I don't know how kid friendly it is. A lot of the town revolves around the Kohler business (faucets, fixtures, interior decorating, etc.) Read: adult. The golf courses are great. How old are your kids?

This is a pretty tall order if you want to drive and you want luxury in a natural setting. Would you drive 9 hours? Blackberry Farm in TN is fabulous.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Travel in Midwest

Lived in Chicago for 21 years so know the midwest area fairly well. Unfortunately, as the previous poster indicated not much is within driving distance that would be considered luxury level resort. However, that being said, a number of kid friendly places like the Wisconsin Dells and Door County within reasonable driving distance- 3 hours to Dells and 5-6 to Door County. Both can be "nicer" by either getting a condo or house for rent in the areas.

Chicago itself is a great city with much to see for the newcomer.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so far. We want something a little more upscale and well appointed than the Dells and those kinds of places. We may end up going for a house on one of the lakes and look for a concierge type service while we're there. Any suggestions on nicer lake areas.

We could look at TN, that's an option. Our favorite place is The Breakers in FL or San Diego at the Loewes, but would prefer not to fly six people if we can avoid it.

Anyone have thoughts in Toronto maybe?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Midwest luxury

Having lived in IL, MI and currently MN, my experience is that there are fantastic, world-class hotels in Chicago, and lesser but still good options in other midwest cities. But there are really no properties that meet all three of your criteria - luxury, family-friendly, and resort. I haven't been to Kohler for a few years, but it is very nice. Not rundown - in fact, it is in the middle of a renovation. Good food, good spa, good service, great golf - but I am not sure about kids activities.

We tried the Inn at Bay Harbor a few years ago, up near Traverse City. It is a beautiful location, with nice large suites, but the food and service were sub-par.

You are right about the Dells - cheesy and not lux (there is a spa there, Sundara, but it's a mixed experience, and not suitable for kids).

One place that you should check out if at some time there are just adults is Canoe Bay in northern Wisconsin. Relais and Chateaux, lux all the way. It's truly lovely.

If you are thinking farther afield, both the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs and the Greenbrier in West Virginia are excellent choices. But they are more than a days drive.

If you do find someplace suitable, let us know!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Here's another one:

http://www.frenchlick.com/

I used to live in Chicago and for years I've looked for upscale places for weekend getaways with limited success.

These places look very nice but they don't appear family friendly:

http://www.langdonhall.ca/
http://www.canoebay.com/

I agree Chicago is a great is indeed a great city to explore for a newcomer. If you live in the suburbs, perhaps a weekend getaway in downtown Chicago would be ideal. The Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton are well-known to make children feel very welcome. One of the managers at the Four Seasons took me on a tour of the hotel a few months ago. She showed me a one-bedroom suite which was apparently reserved for a family for that evening. The suite had set up games, toys, stuffed animals, and snacks all laid out in the foyer. The Ritz-Carlton offers complimentary cooking classes for children age 5 and older. Years ago, the Ritz-Carlton had an ice cream cart that would go around the hotel for kids to enjoy. Both hotels have pools.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Living in chicago my whole life, there are really only two possible options outside the American club.

Lake Geniva is a beautiful town with manY great rental opportunities. My family has a house at geniva national and we have loved the service and amenities there. You can find some nice properies there that are very kid friendly. It is where most wealthy Chicago families weekend in the summer (think much smaller hamptons).

The other is eagle ridge in galena (on the missippi). While it is by no means luxury, they have some great houses to rent with unbelievable Midwestern scenery. They have good golf, nice trails, a quait town and winer. I can give more detail if you would like.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
You might want to check Eagle Ridge Resort in Galena, IL (150 miles west of Chicago) - 63 holes of golf, a spa and rental villas/townhomes.

http://www.eagleridge.com/Resort-Ove...t-Overview.asp
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:08 am

The nearest place I know tends to be more a couples' place - Canoe Bay in Wisconsin. One of the 17 cottages there would be great, but I guess it's not for kids.

Further afield - probably too far - is Glendorn in Pennsylvania, which welcomes kids and is a really special little place with plenty of activities.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We're looking at both Eagle Ridge and the French Lick. We may try to do both this summer and will give back reports. Looks like the French Lick looks much nicer, but will also consider Eagle Ridge. Excited about both.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Actually Glendorn looks great, but they do not allow children under 8.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Actually Glendorn looks great, but they do not allow children under 8.
Really? But they offer 'baby-sitting'!

It is often the case that if you book a suite, or in this case one of the individual chalets, that hotels will bend the rules. I would be inclined to ask them to bend the rules in this instance and see what they say. If they are not too full, I suspect they will accommodate you. Worth a try.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:39 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Indeed, many of the hotels that say they don't allow children will have some sort of provision. Blackberry Farm is like this. They have certain months set aside for "families" where they not only allow kids but tailor specific activities around them. Then they are back to being adults only for the rest of the year.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
For family-friendly and beach, perhaps look at some of the towns in Michigan on the beaches of Lake Michigan.....can't think of names of town at moment, but look at towns on the lake in Michigan just north of Indiana border. Some are known as the weekend retreats/2nd homes for Chicagoans living on Gold Coast. Should be some rentals of luxury houses within walking distance of beach, and an easy drive from Chicago.

Aiming for the luxury of having family all together without wasting a lot of travel time & hassle can outweight pure luxury surroundings. When we rent a beach house we bring our own fluffy towels and better sheets, plus plenty of hotel soap and it's nice......easy to do when driving!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.