Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
Luxury Hotels on the Rebound?

Bloomberg: Signs of stabilization after 2009's 24% drop in luxury hotel REVPAR

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aSIxgLbbOFf4
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:47 am

Bora Bora

Apart of course for Bora Bora which appears to be imploding right now. Everything is closing or has closed, (apart from the new FS) even the St Regis. Rumour says Hotel Bora Bora (Aman) will never re-open. With French/EU restrictions on staff working hours and a minimum wage of US1,300 a month nobody can afford to operate any more. We could be witnessing the death of an entire destination.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do general figures really mean much? especially when "luxury hotel" is not defined properly. i dont get why the RC guy wasnt specific, all the numbers are in the marriott financial reports. (i just went through them.)

kingdom hotels is going private, so no more financial reports from them.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Apart of course for Bora Bora which appears to be imploding right now. Everything is closing or has closed, (apart from the new FS) even the St Regis. Rumour says Hotel Bora Bora (Aman) will never re-open. With French/EU restrictions on staff working hours and a minimum wage of US1,300 a month nobody can afford to operate any more. We could be witnessing the death of an entire destination.
funny how those laws work. youre hearing st regis wont reopen?

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....ra_bora/so.htm
Due to the passing of Cyclone Oli, The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort will be closed for renovations through June 30, 2010.
bora bora lagoon says at least 12 months on website, and sept in financial report.

are you sure FS is open..?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:17 am

Not sure if St Regis will re-open, but people familiar with Bora Bora (ex staff) believe it will not re-open. I gather FS remains open - now the only high-end option available.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i guess we will see about st regis in a few months.

FS bora bora seems closed until apr 1?
i cant believe it is sold out until then. although i am seeing other sold out dates after that.
perhaps some accommodations are closed due to damage? there are only 121. (only 1 is not bookable online)

i assume the labour costs were a part of hotel bora bora's issues as well. i cant entirely understand DLF's financial reports, but it seems like hotel bora bora had a ton of debt. closing it doesnt service it, but i guess operating costs were still too high? presumably the financing is all private/internal.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 19, 2010 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i guess we will see about st regis in a few months.

FS bora bora seems closed until apr 1?
Really? At least it is re-opening though....
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I spoke to a travel agent today who had spoken to FS. They are open and fully occupied. Damage was apparently light. They are not closing.

St Regis, as you have seen on their website is taking bookings after June 30, so that sounds optimistic for reopening. The Bora Bora Lagoons, according to the FS rep was leveled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.