Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons George V Paris - Truly Great or Overhyped?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons George V Paris - Truly Great or Overhyped?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

finished editing last post. which actually acts as response to your 2nd to last post. (before i read it.)

should add many of the african luxury safari properties have high service standards.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
3 traditional city hotels >
FSGV is very well regarded here, mainly above the other paris properties, and is often discussed outside the context of paris.

in this forum there is only one other metropolitan city where this kind of situation is repeated - tokyo, with FS marunouchi and the peninsula.
3 others that are similarly regarded here, in alphabetical order >

amanjiwo (asia)
FS golden triangle (asian camp)
FS hualalai (hawaii)
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
George V vs. Peninsula Tokyo

Lobby: George V
Bar: Draw (George V better traditional bar, Peninsula better bar for under 30)
Food: George V
Rooms: Peninsula (Then again, I prefer more modern decoration to traditional)
Service: Draw (In-room services edge Peninsula, securing reservations, etc... edge George V)
Goodmorning2U - FS hualalai > FS sayan/jimbaran > amandari
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12408995
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12429222

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:56 am

May I say someting negative?

-> I can't stand it. And saying so, I'm half French.
Paris is great but in terms of tourism, Paris is not able to compete on an international level. I'm impressed to see this great reviews here. It does not fit to my experience.

IMHO, it's far from beeing the best in the world and it is not really as good as all the really great hotels in the world I've been lucky enough to see so far. Put differently, it still needs rennovation. Sooome walpaper here, some bath things there. Just minor things but I would not expect to see this. Maybe, it's about nationality. At least, when speaking in French, the Stuff would need to be more polite and more educated as well.
I'm looking forward to so much better hotels opening next year. I can't wait until MO and Shangri La opens!
These hotel openings will give some wings to Paris. And it will finally be able to compete with all other great cities in the world. I can't wait to see finally drop all these "Palaces".

Last edited by bluebird09; Oct 12, 2010 at 8:05 am
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS george v posts net loss of ~$28,000.00 in 2010

(,000) G&A / Depreciation / Net Interest / Tax
2010 -$751 / -$1,803 / -$6,006 / -$2,145
2009 -$176 / -$2,117 / -$2,915 / -$1,537

balance of kingdom hotels 25% investment
$118,233 Jan 1 2009
$90,048 Jan 1 2010
$86,551 Dec 31 2010

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13542264-post47.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:45 pm

$118,233 Jan 1 2009
$90,048 Jan 1 2010
$86,551 Dec 31 2010

Interesting.

Slightly off-topic, but do see any of the newer properties such as the Shangri-La or MO giving the FS a run for their money. Thought I guess the other non-FS properties already in Paris are all very good-to-excellent as it is. Just a matter of taste and location I guess.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

$118,233 Jan 1 2009
$90,048 Jan 1 2010
$86,551 Dec 31 2010

Surprising they are still making losses at the kind of prices they are charging.

By the way, I have been reading complaints about noise problems in FSGV from recent reviews in TA. Anyone stay there recently? The last review was particularly scathing, which if true might mean a drop in standard?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Surprising they are still making losses at the kind of prices they are charging.

By the way, I have been reading complaints about noise problems in FSGV from recent reviews in TA. Anyone stay there recently? The last review was particularly scathing, which if true might mean a drop in standard?
I was there a few weeks ago and didn't have any problem with noise. However, it seems like several of the complaints are about noise originating from outside and we faced over the inner courtyard, so maybe we were insulated from it.

(In general, the most recent TripAdvisor post doesn't have very much resemblance to my experience. I've always had reasonably sized and quite nice rooms in the Deluxe category. Room service (for breakfast) has always been fine. And good experiences at the spa. I do agree with a common complaint, though--rooms often aren't ready on time.)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/en/four-se...lans_1238.html
“We have identified around 12 touchpoints we thought needed to be worked on. These include everything from doubling the size of the mirrors in the bathrooms and adding in-mirror TVs, rewiring the entire room to accommodate guests’ needs for more sockets for devices, moving the mini-bar up to eye level, installing coffee-making machines and redesigning closet space.”

new eighth-floor honeymoon suite due to open on June 1, with five terraces and 360-degree views of the city.
http://www.burtwolf.com/pdf/greathotels.pdf
Each week, Jeff Leatham and his seven assistants design a new theme for the hotel and utilize over 9,000 flowers to design 23 major arrangements and 150 smaller bouquets.

Each month the hotel receives over 200 young guests...Upon check-in, each child receives a personalized booklet with helpful hints. They get a tee-shirt with their name on it, a plate of kid-friendly snacks, animal shaped soaps for the tub, and wooden letters for play time. They also get to choose a welcome gift from a toy-filled basket.
http://www.cpp-luxury.com/en/christo...otel_1284.html
we enjoy a return guest percentage above 65

Spa...locals who represent 40% of our clientele. We have made the choice not to have exclusivity with one brand

We already lend out Ipads to our younger guests when having lunch or dinner in our Galerie
Originally Posted by BENLEE
As for the FSGV, I kind of regret not trying out the hotel, although I had a splendid meal at their signature restaurane LeCinq.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
10 deerpoints for Four Seasons George V. Eric Briffard is the ideal chef for the hotel. I was a huge fan of his back when he was at Les Élysées du Vernet, and I now think that Le Cinq is even better.
5 points for FS Marunouchi- Ekki Bar and Grill. Very good comfort food, excellent service, and relaxed atmosphere make this restaurant a favorite. This is the hotel`s only restaurant, which provides all F&B at the property.
6 points for the restaurants of The Peninsula Tokyo
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
By all means 10 points for F&B Throughout the hotel! It is just Le Cinq that steals the show.
Originally Posted by Groombridge
George V: 8 deerpoints (prior to Eric Briffard--must return now!)
Originally Posted by deer
10 deerpoints: 3 Michelin star creativity & quality (according to your own judgement)
9 deerpoints: 2 Michelin star creativity & quality
8 deerpoints: 1 Michelin star creativity & quality
7 deerpoints: highly creative food with spices you never tasted before
6 deerpoints: creative food with some real unique dishes
5 deerpoints: very good luxury-hotel food with real local spices

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 30, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
One quick question for those that are familiar with the hotel: what's the surrounding neighborhood like? Is there a good selection of restaurants nearby? Lots of other shops, bakeries, pharmacies, etc. or do you have to walk a ways to find those in good supply? How would you describe security, would it be a safe area of the city.

Just curious.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tcook052
One quick question for those that are familiar with the hotel: what's the surrounding neighborhood like? Is there a good selection of restaurants nearby? Lots of other shops, bakeries, pharmacies, etc. or do you have to walk a ways to find those in good supply? How would you describe security, would it be a safe area of the city.
It is very safe and there is plenty to do, but to me that area is overly touristy and I never go there.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Agree. George V is a great hotel in a less great area, especially the street. The Avenue George V is not beautiful like the Avenue Montaigne (Plaza Athenee) and certainly nowhere near as imposing as the Place Vendome (Ritz) or the Place de la Concorde (Crillon.)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:39 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Just curious.
Seemed safe the times we've been there , near enough for walking to your " where " list , in not so crowded area - liked the area.

Do watch for pick pockets though - especially subways & other crowded places. We scared off the pair of guys who had one pretending to brush off stuff from the pants ( calf area ) to distract. No one on the train helped & even feigned oblivion !
One ran out of the carriage immediately while the other we 'd somehow pushed & he fell on a seat as the doors were closing, he got off asap at the next stop.
That was the first & last time on the train - so much for exploring..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reason: Forgot pick pockets
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Yes, absolutely watch out for pick pockets while in Paris. Paris seems to be rifled with these crooks and they are everywhere. Worst in the underground subway. I've got mine stolen while entering a subway which caused a lot of inconvenience and trouble to me. I suggest you only carry a wallet with just enough cash for the day and perhaps one credit card and nothing else in it. And it should be put in an inner pocket.

As for the FSGV, I kind of regret not trying out the hotel, although I had a splendid meal at their signature restaurane LeCinq.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many

Just curious.
Very safe but as mentioned very touristy area. Just eat across the street from the George V at my friend's restaurant and throw them some business!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by bluebird09
At least, when speaking in French, the Stuff would need to be more polite and more educated as well.
I fully agree with you. I don't know how to say it as my english is not perfect but a big part of the staff is international and french language requires more formality than what they provide. It makes their welcoming sounding weird, way too familiar sometimes. At least it's not intimidating, byt not exactly appropriate.

Originally Posted by wripro
Agree. George V is a great hotel in a less great area, especially the street. The Avenue George V is not beautiful like the Avenue Montaigne (Plaza Athenee) and certainly nowhere near as imposing as the Place Vendome (Ritz) or the Place de la Concorde (Crillon.)
Place Vendôme is dead at nights and on Sundays. Location is great but way too quiet. And I hate Place de la Concorde. Too much traffic, too many tourists going from Rue de Rivoli to Champs Elysées, too many policemen because American embassy is just at the corner. The best location to me is Avenue Montaigne (Plaza Athénée).

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Very safe but as mentioned very touristy area. Just eat across the street from the George V at my friend's restaurant and throw them some business!
Which one is it?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Has anyone used the airport pickup service at the George V?

Basic Mercedes is EUR 295 but includes VIP service from the jetway so can save a long time on busy morning arrivals.

What would a normal taxi and VIP service cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.