Search

Opinions on the Amanjena?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Opinions on the Amanjena?

I am going to be staying here, wondering if I am going to regret being outside of Marrakech. Is it a huge hassle to transit between the hotel and the city or is it worth the increased tranquility?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am going to be staying here, wondering if I am going to regret being outside of Marrakech. Is it a huge hassle to transit between the hotel and the city or is it worth the increased tranquility?
Amanjena is by far the best option in Marrakech and via hotel car is only around 10-15 mins from the very centre of town.

It is really good to leave the noise and bustle of Marrakech for the quiet of the Palmeraia, which is the oasis on the outskirts of the city.

If you really want to be in the midst of Marrakech madness, then you could split your stay between Amanjena and, say, la Mamounia or Villa des Orangers - both in the centre near the main square.

However, having stayed many times in just about all the Marrakech hotels, Amanjena is without doubt my favourite. It also offers private pools, superb service and loads of space. You have made the right decision!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I've often wondered.... does Amanjena offer any sort of customized day or overnight trip to the Sahara?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ericka, another option would be http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...des-reves.html

amanjena definitely gets mixed reports here, like most non-asian aman.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
I've often wondered.... does Amanjena offer any sort of customized day or overnight trip to the Sahara?
Do you realise how far the Sahara is from Amanjena? The Atlas Mountains form a very effective barrier against the desert and....Algeria.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from link in last post
Originally Posted by Groombridge
We also added on the optional night in the Sahara, which was expensive, but an amazing experience. They have an arrangement with nomads, who allow access through their camel herding terrain to get to a part of the Sahara where no other tourists have access, and they erect tents in the dunes for you. They aren't full-blown luxury tents like you'd find at Aman-i-khas or Four Seasons Tented Camp or Amanwana, so you need to set your expectations accordingly. They have beds in them, and lounging areas, but not full-blown bathrooms. But it was magical: candles in Moroccan lamps placed atop the crest of dunes leading you from your tent to rugs and aperitifs, then dinner in a hollow within the dunes, a bonfire nearby. Very, very long drive--and quite grueling--to get there from the hotel, however. But we felt it was worth it.
fly/drive to ouarzazate, 30 min drive to dar ahlam, 5 hr drive to camp

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:52 am
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
from link in last post
I had no idea they were doing this, but surely the real Sahara is miles away? The nearest point is the Western Sahara, or Norte, no? Otherwise, you have to cross the Atlas Mountains. Maybe they are just taking people into the desert, but not to the Sahara proper?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I had no idea they were doing this, but surely the real Sahara is miles away? The nearest point is the Western Sahara, or Norte, no? Otherwise, you have to cross the Atlas Mountains. Maybe they are just taking people into the desert, but not to the Sahara proper?
Even going to Ouarzazate only gets you to the transitional part of the Sahara.

On Marrakech, it is usually a good thing to split between the Palmeraie and the old city - the mix of time depends on how long it takes for the insane touristy stuff in the old city to drive you crazy. There are other Palmeraie palaces apart from the Aman, but my sense is that many are just a touch overrated.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by grumbler

On Marrakech, it is usually a good thing to split between the Palmeraie and the old city - the mix of time depends on how long it takes for the insane touristy stuff in the old city to drive you crazy. There are other Palmeraie palaces apart from the Aman, but my sense is that many are just a touch overrated.
Well, that's why I thought, grumbler. Dar Ahlam is just outside Quarzazate, so very much on the edge of the Sahara. Even then, it's a heck of a long way to go for 1 night.

As for the Palmeraie, I agree that Amanjena remains by far the best, having tried a couple of others. Of course, quite a few new Palmeraie properties are opening, but heavens knows when. I heard MO Marrakech was delayed again until fall 2010.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by grumbler

Well, that's what I thought, grumbler. Dar Ahlam is just outside Quarzazate, so very much on the edge of the Sahara. Even then, it's a heck of a long way to go for 1 night.

As for the Palmeraie, I agree that Amanjena remains by far the best, having tried a couple of others. Of course, quite a few new Palmeraie properties are opening, but heavens knows when. I heard MO Marrakech was delayed again until late fall 2010!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Suggestions on things to see/do? I am flying CDG to Casablanca, will see that quickly then drive from Casablanca to Marrakech. I think I will be 4 or 5 nights at the Amanjena. Will Marrakech itself provide enough things to see, or should I try to plan a day trip somewhere? Also, suggestions as to restaurants/nightlife are always welcome.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Thumbs down

This is the worst hotel I have ever staid at, not only the worst Aman, but really the worst of the worst. The service was appalling, no good Moroccan food, you will have to make do with some great Thai food, but not exactly what you go to Marrakech for. There are so many beautiful riads offering you such a more authentic experience, it is a real same. The site itself is beautiful as always with Aman but the staff and service.....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:20 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

We went to Morocco a couple of years ago. Started with three nights in La Mamounia to see the central sights, then went on a 5-6 days drive by rental car to some basic hotels around and ended with three heavenly days in Amanjena. It is true that Amanjena is close to the city, but we really did not want to leave this heaven, which make me recommend that you split your stay between La Mamounia and Amanjena if you have enough days (at least 2+3 days) available so that you can just relax in and enjoy Amanjena. If not I would stay all the days at Amanjena.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:16 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks for the info about the Sahara. For some reason, I thought jena used to have a private plane charter take you out for the day???? It's been years since I looked into it, though.

Sometime I'll follow up with Groombridge on the other tented option. I looked up their website once but there wasn't much info.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its unfortunate the french site seems to cover everything, but there is basically nothing on the english site.
dar ahlam mentioned helicopter transfer from ouarzazate. wonder if you could go all the way to the camp?

extravigator.com/discussion/286/marrakech/#Item_5
Our splendid concierges at Amajena offered the following experiences for us during our stay:

We trekked and donkey-rode our way to Kasbah Toubkal, high in the Atlas Mountains.
We daytripped to Essaouira, the world's finest windsurfing destination, and an idyllic seaside town.
We wandered through Djemma El Fna at dusk, when the city's main plaza comes to life.
We got a private tour/lesson in the art of weaving of Bedouin rugs.
We got lost (and had a great time) in the endless souq.
The concierge can even arrange charter flights to visit Ait Benhaddou, at the base of the Western Shara dunes, in Eastern Morocco.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2017 at 1:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.