Opinions on the Amanjena?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on the Amanjena?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Suggestions for Amanjena Activities/Excursions?

Looking for suggestions on excursions/activities at Amanjena. There are many to pick from so hoping that you can help me select ones which you have enjoyed!

The private tour via motorcycle sidecar caught my eye, amongst many others.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:02 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by blueline7
Looking for suggestions on excursions/activities at Amanjena. There are many to pick from so hoping that you can help me select ones which you have enjoyed!

If you enjoy cycling, there are lots of great and scenic routes they can take you to (with a guide).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:49 am
A4K

Programs: N/A

Not sure how long you are there for but I would do at least one of the city tours. They have a few options and have some overlap.

The Berber village tour that includes lunch at the Berber family home is a winner.

I did an ATV tour which was a lot of fun but used an outside company as it was significantly cheaper and I believe Aman just hands you off to an outside company anyways for that excursion.

As you mention there is no lack of options for cool things to do in the area. While I thought the city was a bit of a cluster of a tourist trap, once you get out into the country the scenery and experiences are quite awesome.

Nicolas is a wonderful GM (believe he is still there) and will take good care of you.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by A4K; Apr 21, 2019 at 8:05 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

We took helicopters out in the the Sahara and had lunch. It was pretty neat.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:45 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Was just going to maybe tour around Marrakesh, but will consider going into the Atlas mountains a bit too.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Was just going to maybe tour around Marrakesh, but will consider going into the Atlas mountains a bit too.
Yes , you should go to the Atlas mountains , at least the foothills , blueline !
& see post 33
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:37 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

When are you going? We'll be there in May 12-18.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
When are you going? We'll be there in May 12-18.
potentially a reunion ! FTers AMANjunkies / SS Oct ‘ 13

Any others ?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

potentially a reunion ! FTers AMANjunkies / SS Oct ‘ 13

Any others ?
Unfortunately will miss you by a month! Going June 19!
scented and livefromtuscany like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:30 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We also did lunch at the berber village home. Wonderful!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Was there a couple years ago around Christmas. Took one tour which was suggested by the Hotel, a day-trip to Kasbah du Toubkal in the Atlas Mountains. Really beautiful lodge with great views of the mountains, and the mule ride to the lodge itself was fun:

https://www.nationalgeographiclodges.../#.XL4vszBKiUk

The second excursion was to a place we wanted to see, Ait Benhaddou, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on the edge of the Sahara, which has served as a filming locale for several movies and T.V. shows, including Gladiator and Game of Thrones:

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/444

The hotel arranged for one of their BMW SUVs to take us out there and back. Was a full-day excursion, but we really enjoyed it.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Just a few hours back from it and I am sorry to say this but I found it to be the most un-Aman service possible. Pretty much on par with an ok Sofitel?

Beautiful grounds and rooms, great food (if you got what you ordered) but so mediocre in every other sense. Thinking of the great attention to detail/service that was provided in Kasbah Tamadot and it feels like a pro/amateur comparison.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
Just a few hours back from it and I am sorry to say this but I found it to be the most un-Aman service possible. Pretty much on par with an ok Sofitel?

Beautiful grounds and rooms, great food (if you got what you ordered) but so mediocre in every other sense. Thinking of the great attention to detail/service that was provided in Kasbah Tamadot and it feels like a pro/amateur comparison.
I am very familiar with Amanjena — would you please give us some details as to better understand your experience and consequently frustration?

Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by scented

I am very familiar with Amanjena — would you please give us some details as to better understand your experience and consequently frustration?

Thank you!
Sure! There was nothing catastrophic per se but what there was an undeniable absence of the soft product that *I* would expect from an Aman. It was a number of small annoying things, the sum of which made for a disappointing stay. I wouldn’t call it frustrating - other than perhaps the lack of chocolate ice cream which is an offence to a man who is usually on a nutrition plan.

A few items that I remember are below - hopefully they don’t make me sound petty.

Overall I would say that I found the vast majority of staff throughout the hotel approached us with a look that I could only describe as something between scared, puzzled and vacant. And I guess that set the tone of the service. There were also quite a bit of communication issues as there was a somewhat linguistic barrier (bad English for them, horrendous French for me - a marriage set for doom). I don’t think there was a time that our room number wasn’t asked (not an issue for me per se but definitely not Aman). Also on numerous occasions one member of staff would take a coffee or drinks order and ten minutes later (whilst the order hadn’t arrived) someone else would approach asking us if we want anything. Or they would take the order and come back five minutes later to confirm the order (it’s a cappuccino!!!).

There were a number of special/“buffet” style lunches (due to Easter) whilst we were there. We tried the first one on Friday as our room wasn’t ready. You selected the seafood you wanted (a la Milos or your typical Greek fish tavern) and they brought it to your table. The problem is (a) they brought us the wrong order 3-4 times and (b) it was the worst grilled seafood I’ve had so far in my life (to give an example the calamari wasn’t cleaned and it was way undercooked (obviously unintentionally).

And whilst we were waiting for the room to get ready (obviously not an issue), no one actually asked us whether we wanted to be shown the property...at all. Even when I called to ask where the gym is.

In the same garden localle during breakfast the next day, four members of staff opted to play with an (admittedly) very cute baby and ignored the fact that we had sat down for a good 15 minutes.

We opted out of the Easter Sunday lunch and tried to order room service. I tried going reasonably off menu (pizza which they serve at the restaurant), which must have given the person on the other side of the, barely working and most temperamental phone I’ve ever come across, a panic attack (they ultimately couldn’t accommodate my request). I stuck to ordering a burger (subpar) which arrived with almost cold fries.

House keeping arrived after lunch time twice (non of the ninja style Aman house keeping that I love). I never thought I’d comment on house keeping but I found it all ok-Ish.

Anecdotally, the story of me leaving all 1000 pages of a book I had just finished (the Kindly Ones if I remember correctly) at an Aman (which I can’t remember) and the hotel calling the driver and asking him whether we are too far now to return back to the hotel or whether they need to send someone to the airport to give it to me, has always been a favourite of mine in showcasing why an Aman is...well...an Aman. In Amanjena I left a number of items behind (ie toiletries, a book etc) as I couldn’t take them (or simply wasn’t worth taking them) through the airport and no one called. It’s a silly point really but for whatever reason that stuck with me.

Food at dinner was always exceptional imo. The problem is that they always screwed up the order. Forgetting to bring items altogether or bringing things twice or bringing things that we didn’t order in the first instance. First dinner at Nama was an absolute comedy of errors (the food in itself was the best food I’ve had in any of the Namas that I’ve been to so far). Second dinner at Nama we decided to play it safe and used our Hakasan trick of ordering 1-2 items and then ordering some more etc. Unbelievably they screwed that up also. My first choice for dessert the first evening (profiteroles) wasn’t available. My first choice for dessert the second time at Nama (ice cream) also wasn’t available (just my luck I guess). As a result of the constant wrong ordering, I am not sure whether the bill we got at the end re dining was actually accurate (this was the first time after years of Aman stays that I would say that I’d actually like to sign for the bill). Oh and ended up serving ourselves the wine a few times.

A couple of years ago Kasbah Tamadot set the gold standard for us as a gay couple where every item was his and his. Would it absolutely kill you to pay some attention to detail and remove the obviously ladies’ hat from the lounger etc? Other luxury hotels are far more aware of this nowadays (think bathrobes etc).

As I said, none of the above resulted in a castrophic stay - just not one that I am used to from an Aman. The grounds, the ambience, the musicians etc are of course second to none. But not sure that I’d rush back anytime soon.

vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
A couple of years ago Kasbah Tamadot set the gold standard for us as a gay couple where every item was his and his. Would it absolutely kill you to pay some attention to detail and remove the obviously ladies’ hat from the lounger etc? Other luxury hotels are far more aware of this nowadays (think bathrobes etc).
Oh I’m sorry for your experience. So different from my 2 stays at Amanjena
Asking for your room number is all the more not acceptable when you are a gay couple. Remembering who you are shall be pretty easy for the staff.

Regarding your comment above, hotels are generally very bad at accommodating gay couples. The hat is a good example, so is the size of slippers, bathrobe, etc. The worst I can remember was Valentine’s Day menu for him and for her at Ritz Paris something like 15 years ago. Fortunately enough they made some progress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.