Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

any experience with ClassicTravel.com? (Virtuoso)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any experience with ClassicTravel.com? (Virtuoso)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luxetravels
Of course - the exact reason why Virtuoso works with certain agencies due to the profiles that fit with the clientele the hotels/ operators seek.
more specifically, there are poor virtuoso properties, as there are poor properties in every program. while there are properties that are great that may not be virtuoso, but may be in another program. not all virtuoso agencies are FSPP / RC STARS. there may also be poor agents at some virtuoso agencies, like any other agency.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: LHW FS BA LH and other things
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
more specifically, there are poor virtuoso properties, as there are poor properties in every program. while there are properties that are great that may not be virtuoso, but may be in another program. not all virtuoso agencies are FSPP / RC STARS. there may also be poor agents at some virtuoso agencies, like any other agency.
this is getting away from the op's post and point of the topic.

If all these properties were available via online sources such as expedia travelocity et al. Price then becomes a focus rather than the sell of the product. Hotels are partnered with FHR Virtuoso etc etc for specific reasons to target certain segments of the market (usually high end) adding the amenity for the agency is to further differentiate the product from what else is available and helps form closer ties between the hotel/operators and the agency. If all hotels with benefits where available via websites the hotels would lose profit margin, there would be more guests expecting upgrades etc etc. no upside.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luxetravels
Price then becomes a focus rather than the sell of the product. Hotels are partnered with ... Virtuoso etc etc for specific reasons to target certain segments of the market (usually high end) adding the amenity for the agency is to further differentiate the product from what else is available and helps form closer ties between the hotel/operators and the agency.
sounds like "average" people. that may include plenty of wealthy people (and understandably typical marketing etc, although it led to some being hurt more by the economy.) but the people who spend the most are more like some of the posters here. true connoisseurs, and perhaps trendsetters.

one thing that does complicate the discussion though, that i just thought about, is whether the hotel program is membership based. a lot of them are, even if free and available to anyone. that makes them a slightly different animal, in terms of the online booking discussion.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 23, 2010 at 9:04 am
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:41 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i guess you know better than i do.
I was trying to be flattering... sorry if it came off otherwise. You seem to have knack for finding the most obscure items and pulling the perfect thread from each search on countless points. So I was surprised when you said you only track "a few" things.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
I was trying to be flattering... sorry if it came off otherwise. You seem to have knack for finding the most obscure items and pulling the perfect thread from each search on countless points. So I was surprised when you said you only track "a few" things.
thank you. i consider that memory, as opposed to my archiving of one thing, and my occasional making note of unique accommodations.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:07 pm

booking Virtuoso online

Hi...recently booked Montage Beverly Hills a Virtuoso hotel online on http://classictravel.com Got an instant email confirmation that included all the
Virtuoso amenities.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Not sure about the only. I recently used Whatahotel.com and it worked great, got exactly what it said on the tin.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Sohan
Not sure about the only. I recently used Whatahotel.com and it worked great, got exactly what it said on the tin.
According to DavidO, a dedicated and resourceful contributor to this forum, whatahotel is no longer Virtuoso:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13601364-post118.html
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by Sohan

have used these guys twice in the last month or so...got exactly what they advertised. Had being talking to a TA in the US/Canada who was a FSPP etc but I think my level of travel (3/4 hols a year) wasn't worth his time so the website suits me perfectly except i dont get personal recommendations.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by irish mark
Had being talking to a TA in the US/Canada who was a FSPP etc but I think my level of travel (3/4 hols a year) wasn't worth his time
Sounds unlikely, assuming you know exactly what you want and where. You e-mail the agent, he makes the booking (10 minutes work max) and pockets, say, $200 on a $2,000 booking. Not bad work if you can get it. In fact, I'm surprised I don't start asking for a 50% commission rebate!

Compare this to how an upscale travel agent normally works ... spending hours sitting down with a client and talking through various routes, hotels, dates, playing around with availability, finding half the time that the client never books anything, having to book the flights without getting any commission (as the airlines have stopped it) etc ....
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Sounds unlikely, assuming you know exactly what you want and where. You e-mail the agent, he makes the booking (10 minutes work max) and pockets, say, $200 on a $2,000 booking. Not bad work if you can get it. In fact, I'm surprised I don't start asking for a 50% commission rebate!

Compare this to how an upscale travel agent normally works ... spending hours sitting down with a client and talking through various routes, hotels, dates, playing around with availability, finding half the time that the client never books anything, having to book the flights without getting any commission (as the airlines have stopped it) etc ....
Didnt know exactly what hotel; had a good idea but needed advice. Its prob a 4/6k per booking but after exchanging a few e-mails and then ringing the TA (fspp) up on an arranged call; the promised e-mail with information that would allow me to book never came; chased it up a week later and a week after that but never heard from the TA again. I was kinda worried something had happened the TA. Anyhow i could only surmise that the TA was busy with higher end clients and it wasnt worth their time.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by manhattanexec
Hi...recently booked Montage Beverly Hills a Virtuoso hotel online on http://classictravel.com Got an instant email confirmation that included all the
Virtuoso amenities.
Welcome to FlyerTalk manhattanexec. Helpful post.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles

Since nearly all travel agencies take a chunk of their agent's commissions, you'd be making more money than the agent. A $2,000 booking may only net an agent around $135, thus leaving them with $35 after providing a 50% rebate. Easy come, easy go.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:47 pm

Booked a room through classictravel.com for the Upper House in HKG for this month; city view with upgrade on the day to a Harbour View room. Anyone used Classictravel for this property, and did you get the upgrade? First time in HKG so would appreciate the harbour view - realise it is not guaranteed but is CT/Virtuoso rate likely to be honoured? The stay are on weekdays if that is likely to make it worse/better, leaning to the former.

Also, other amenities, e.g. a car service was offered - do they usually contact you or does one have to contact the property?

Reading this thread, I have a feeling I should have just used a Virtuoso agent straight-out.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've been trying to understand the difference between a Virtuoso booking and a FHR booking. I didn't find a thread in this forum comparing and contrasting, but this thread seems to be the most thoughtful in talking about Virtuoso agents. I found a useful blog from Luckycoins, who stuck his toes in the waters of luxury hotel bookings.

Understanding Virtuoso and American Express Fine Hotels Resorts. A couple of my takeaways:
  1. I can determine which properties are Virtuoso by looking on virtuoso.com. I find that helpful as I can see if a property is a Virtuoso property without having to ask an agent, and I can see if the benefits are interesting to me.
  2. FHR has a lock on a guaranteed 4pm checkout. Virtuoso has to request it.
  3. Virtuoso often offers full breakfast where FHR offers continental breakfast.
  4. Virtuoso agents offer superior service.

I hate to disturb an agent unless I am relatively confident I will move forward on a booking. I like learning that I can do some initial research on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.