Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

any experience with ClassicTravel.com? (Virtuoso)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any experience with ClassicTravel.com? (Virtuoso)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ill go ahead and say +1 for me too, in the offhand chance this actually helps make the case to virtuoso.

there has been a lot of past discussion on lack of online booking as well, here and in amex forum.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by DavidO

OP asked if there's any disadvantage using a booking engine over using a live Virtuoso TA. Their website can't follow up with a personal phone call or email to the hotel's Sales Manager with a request to VIP a guest, upgrade a client, or pass along any special requests.
This is certainly not the case. I got a personal email after booking at classic travel and he also contacted the hotel directly as they had information only he was privy to. Also he had them leave me something special in my room with a personal note from him (virtuoso agent).
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:47 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I am the same way. Just hate to waste somebodies valuable time for few basic questions, especially if I am not sure I will book a property.
It literally takes about 20 seconds to come back with rates and amenities for any hotel that is part of the global reservation system. It really isn't a big deal.

In some markets you naturally quote three or four luxury properties so the client can compare the values, and as a agent try to highlight which property is the best fit and why.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:50 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ill go ahead and say +1 for me too, in the offhand chance this actually helps make the case to virtuoso.

there has been a lot of past discussion on lack of online booking as well, here and in amex forum.
And that's the difference between FHR and Virtuoso.... the human touch! We actually care which hotel you stay in, not what you are using to pay for it when you check out!

Don't count on a faceless Virtuoso online booking tool anytime in the future. Goes against our nature. As for Classic Travel, i'm sure they do a fine job. Besides, they are filling a need for anyone who must have their room booked at 3am
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ABG
Don't count on a faceless Virtuoso online booking tool anytime in the future. Goes against our nature.
That is what I am discovering. C'est la vie.

When the topic comes up, I have found that the majority of clients like the idea of being able to do more of their own research into Virtuoso offerings. However, there seems to be a perception/concern from Virtuoso that the internet would be unable to replace the skills and insight of a human. Rather than debate that point, I try to make a case that an on-line tool could be designed to complement the human interaction, rather than compete with it.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: LHW FS BA LH and other things
Virtuoso is seen as a point for customers (via an agent) where client says to the agent - I want to visit X city what do you recommend. Agent will then more than likely direct client to a Virtuoso property. If client books the hotel directly why would the hotels want the Virtuoso extras to be available ala expedia etc? Makes no sense.

Helps focus the Virtuoso affiliated agents to a portion of the hotel market who participate. Makes my job easier and my clients benefit.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Luxetravels
Virtuoso is seen as a point for customers (via an agent) where client says to the agent - I want to visit X city what do you recommend. Agent will then more than likely direct client to a Virtuoso property. If client books the hotel directly why would the hotels want the Virtuoso extras to be available ala expedia etc? Makes no sense.

Helps focus the Virtuoso affiliated agents to a portion of the hotel market who participate. Makes my job easier and my clients benefit.
Thanks for posting, Luxetravels. I totally hear what your saying, but I can't stop wondering whether this model was designed (and probably worked quite well) before the Information Age.

I grew up doing a series of Griswold-style road trips, and my family either selected hotels by:
  • asking friends whether they had any recommendations (which occasionally would result in some out-of-date advice);
  • looking at guide books or directories from hotel chains which we had picked up during previous trips (and having to make a decision based on a couple of sentences, and at best, a single picture of each property);
  • simply arriving in a town and driving in circles until we came across a clean hotel (look kids, Big Ben);
  • working with a travel agent (who had information at their fingertips, not to mention a library of full-color, travel-related brochures).

Being able to use a travel agent was a luxury, in large part because we could call up and say that we are going to X, and they'd tell us where we should stay.

Jump forward 20 years, and there are now sites like Expedia, TripAdvisor and Flyertalk, where travelers have access to a ridiculously large amount of information. The travel agent is no longer the de-facto place to turn to for travel information and advice.

While I have a handful of clients who rely on me to match them with the right place to stay, I find that I have more who ask for help with sifting through the data rather than asking me to be the sole provider of data.

Based on that, I'd say that the value of a good travel agent is not based the fact that they have access to information, but it is their ability to know what information is important to consider when it comes to making decisions. To that end, I think that the amenities and rates of Virtuoso properties are important for people to know about when weighing options and making a decision. Can a client e-mail me to find out rate & amenity information? Absolutely! Do most people prefer to have information as quickly as possible? Yes. Would it be quicker and more convenient for someone to view the information on-line? I'd wager to say that the answer is usually yes.

You do bring up a good point -- why would hotels want to offer Virtuoso benefits if the rates could be booked on-line? I'd argue that they'd do it because they want to fill their rooms. It's the same reason that hotels offer special rates on sites like Jetsetter, LuxuryLink and TravelZoo. (A bit too simplistic of an answer, perhaps.) That's not to mention why chains (namely IC & FA, currently) are offering Friends and Family rates to the entire world. Afterall, do Virtuoso properties really think that all Virtuoso clients rely solely on their agent to decide on where they'll be staying? (Perhaps I should bite my tongue. )

I apologize for being a bit prolix on this matter. I always enjoy the subject of judgment and decision making, and get really ramped up on related topics. I appreciate reading everyone's feedback -- it helps me to reflect and reevaluate my own thoughts and ideas.

</soapbox>
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only reason people use travel agents here is for benefits.

besides this forum, seems like only gallivanters is seen as reliable source for lux hotels.

speaking about flyertalk in general, there are HUGE numbers of data junkies, spreadsheet jockies, etc. i am one myself in terms of keeping track of a few things, although i just use text files.

"average" people dont like doing research. they want someone else to do it for them. that is giving up control. that is the total opposite of people in this forum, and flyertalk in general.

there is a reason this forum is on flyertalk, and not somewhere else.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by ABG
Besides, they are filling a need for anyone who must have their room booked at 3am
Well, my human Virtuoso agent even answers emails personally at 3 am...^ I guess he never sleeps...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:06 pm
ABG

Originally Posted by ngfan
Well, my human Virtuoso agent even answers emails personally at 3 am...^ I guess he never sleeps...
Thats the general idea vs Amex FHR.
Not to take anything away, but it helps that you are +6hrs from eastern USA being in STR.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:30 pm
ABG

there are HUGE numbers of data junkies, spreadsheet jockies, etc. i am one myself in terms of keeping track of a few things
You keep track of only a few things? You don't give yourself enough credit.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
You keep track of only a few things? You don't give yourself enough credit.
i guess you know better than i do.

Originally Posted by Ericka
I would think having a complete online Virtuoso resource would be helpful in saving the agents a lot of time. Of course, the actual booking should still be required through the agent.... Maybe something like this could be password protected for previous Virtuoso customers.
perhaps with signature [/FSPP] and now FHR online, virtuoso will eventually change.

Ericka's idea is also good. a 'rate/benefits check' password for certain clients.
others with online booking include >
SLH (club)
preferred hotels (i prefer)
LHW (leaders club, leaders club rewards)
tablethotels (tabletplus)
mr & mrs smith (goldsmith, rewards)
kiwi collection (claims to have unique benefits)
perfect escapes (claims to have unique benefits)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarshKing
You do bring up a good point -- why would hotels want to offer Virtuoso benefits if the rates could be booked on-line? I'd argue that they'd do it because they want to fill their rooms. It's the same reason that hotels offer special rates on sites like Jetsetter, LuxuryLink and TravelZoo. (A bit too simplistic of an answer, perhaps.) That's not to mention why chains (namely IC & FA, currently) are offering Friends and Family rates to the entire world. Afterall, do Virtuoso properties really think that all Virtuoso clients rely solely on their agent to decide on where they'll be staying? (Perhaps I should bite my tongue. )

I apologize for being a bit prolix on this matter. I always enjoy the subject of judgment and decision making, and get really ramped up on related topics. I appreciate reading everyone's feedback -- it helps me to reflect and reevaluate my own thoughts and ideas.

</soapbox>
they don't want to offer it online as then it no longer becomes a point of difference (to the agent) and just becomes the norm and then you are back to price - then amenity/breakfast would disappear due to cost cutting.

If you have 10 , 5* properties in a city and for ease of my point they are all the same price. What helps steer an agent to recommend a specific hotel above another? The extras - that is a personal contact at the hotel or something the client cannot get themselves - such as a comp breakfast etc.

Of course I would never say all my clients only stay in Virtuoso properties but a majority do and that is the first place I go to as I will probably know someone through Travelmart or office meetings.
After speaking to many hotels about the benefit to them they are pretty unanimous in that the benefit from the relationship in terms of sales. I am sure many hotels have experimented being in and out of the program and see the benefit in increased room nights (especially in the higher room category). The easiest way to sum it up is the hotel see's it as an incremental growth vs other methods.

I cannot see any reason at all why they would want it online, as much as I would love to be able to setup a website tonight post a link on a few key travel forums and watch the money roll in, I see no reason Virtuoso properties would want this.

Last edited by Luxetravels; Feb 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agent will then more than likely direct client to a Virtuoso property..
Of course I would never say all my clients only stay in Virtuoso properties but a majority do
virtuoso is not the only one to offer extras, not all properties are virtuoso, some are members of other programs but not virtuoso...

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:16 pm

virtuoso is not the only one to offer extras, not all properties are virtuoso, some are members of other programs but not virtuoso...
Of course - the exact reason why Virtuoso works with certain agencies due to the profiles that fit with the clientele the hotels/ operators seek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.