Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tmft
I felt like Amanyara nickeled and dimed--a great resort, but petty in the F&B. We really liked the Bali Amans and Amanpulo as the food was sooo good and we felt taken care of. Did not get the same feeling at Amanyara.
I would let that happen to me...ONCE. That would be the last visit to that particular Aman for me....
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

setai miami spa >

almost half off deal http://www.miamispamonth.com/Participants/spa_setai.htm
uh oh - nonguest get access to pool from $125 (and other deals) http://www.setai.com/thespa
just noticed they have journeys
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
setai miami spa >

almost half off deal http://www.miamispamonth.com/Participants/spa_setai.htm
uh oh - nonguest get access to pool from $125 (and other deals) http://www.setai.com/thespa
just noticed they have journeys
Not a great spa at The Setai. The reality does not live up to the photography. GHM generally are way behind Aman on spas, especially at therapist level. Can't imagine they do a great 'journey'.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

The 15 new villas being constructed at Amanpuri is exciting news. Does anyone know if they are for sale?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is no way theyre not already sold out.. probably some to current owners.

setai turns 5 >
http://www.elitetraveler.com/news_de...-beach-turns-5

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:06 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by paul2
The 15 new villas being constructed at Amanpuri is exciting news. Does anyone know if they are for sale?
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is no way theyre not already sold out.. probably some to current owners.

All sold .. you can see some from the gym . If you're wondering , you will not hear the construction .
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Just a quick news item from Wana....5 deer have been returned to the resort grounds and seem to be doing well. Now that it seems the protective fence around the grounds is keeping them safely in place, they will be bringing more deer over from the rescue facility.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:15 am

Is Aman over?

What only Amans used to do many other resorts now do just as well or better.
Temple-like symmetry and plumerias in the tubs...it is old now, no?

My last experience at an Aman was Amantaka in Laos, which I understand has very low return patronage due to its semi-slumside location and a flat style born from the former hospital it once was. I wasn't impressed much.

Where are THE best Amans left nowadays, in everyone's opinion? Can we take a poll? And where is Amans' best dining??
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:29 am

The best IMO opinion are in Indonesia. Though there are others that are very good which I still adore. India comes to mind.

I would give the food nod to Yara. For a more local menu I would vote for the food at Aman-i-Khas. I still have dreams about their naan.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by chamade
What only Amans used to do many other resorts now do just as well or better.
Temple-like symmetry and plumerias in the tubs...it is old now, no?

My last experience at an Aman was Amantaka in Laos, which I understand has very low return patronage due to its semi-slumside location and a flat style born from the former hospital it once was. I wasn't impressed much.

Where are THE best Amans left nowadays, in everyone's opinion? Can we take a poll? And where is Amans' best dining??
No, Aman is NOT over, especially when you compare its resorts with what others are doing. The best, however, remain in Asia - Bali and India in my view. Best food? It really depends upon which chef is where. Looking back over the past year, I would say Amanbagh and Amanjiwo (both GMs, of course, are ex-chefs, so that helps).
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We have visited Amans in Indonesia (jiwo, wana, kila, dari) and Amanjena in Marocco. Had very good food in all of these, but my best memory is the food at Amandari last March. We really love authentic Indonesian food and have eaten a lot of it since my husband is Dutch and has lots of Indonesian friends. We have had problems in many hotels in Indonesia to find authentic and spicy (we really like it spicy) enough food, but Amandari was just great. All meals and especially the ones we cooked ourselves at the cooking class and the Balinese feast we enjoyed the last evening was great. Highly recommended!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
We have had problems in many hotels in Indonesia to find authentic and spicy (we really like it spicy) enough food, but Amandari was just great. All meals and especially the ones we cooked ourselves at the cooking class and the Balinese feast we enjoyed the last evening was great. Highly recommended!
Yes, yes...now I recall the Amandari Babi Gulung. Yum.
Mr. Ericka likes spicy too and he always orders "...the way your mother would make it". Works every time.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:15 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Is Aman over?

[QUOTE=Ericka]Yes, yes...now I recall the Amandari Babi Gulung. Yum.

Aman has a special touch which cannot be replicated by others ..it's not over and hope it continues to uphold its vision.

We've generally enjoyed the meals,etc at the ones we've visited even when the executive chef was not on site..
Amanjena was interesting for a newcomer to the continent then ; Summer Palace has recovered from its initial hiccups; somewhere like Amanwana had some exceptional daily choices and of course, Amandari's Babi Guling
Miss the lobster club in the original Amanpuri menu.
Though all Amans can of whip up something on request.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 17, 2010 at 9:18 am Reason: quotes came out strange.. edit work?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:20 am

Arrow Galle

Several decades ago I ventured to Galle in Sri Lanka during a holiday in India and Sri Lanka and happened upon the atmospheric, totally deserted New Oriental. There was a tiny sort of plunge pool thing at one side adjacent to the owner's apartments but that was it. The rooms were large, airy and charming. I fell in love with the place.

I wonder how it's changed under the current Aman direction.... The website looks far too slick for the New Oriental I knew. Has anyone been there lately and if so how was it? Worth Aman's generally inflated rates?

I still think Aman's days as a leader in its style - what else can you call it? - may be overshadowed by others a cut above.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Well, it was my first Aman and liked it very much. Great design, excellent food, beautiful spa and a fabulous atmo on the verandah during dinner. Amantaka is a copy of sorts...but knowing your perception of Amanresorts in general, Amantaka as located in a semi-slum and Luang Prabang as touristy I don't think you will ever enjoy Amangalla and Galle for the same reasons...and room rates have been the lowest of all Amans for years since the tsunami. Better stay away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.