Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ to Donali - bizarre that khan is better than top 2 suites

(comparatively) aman are small with high rates, so designed to have low occupancy. no clue what the target is.

theyve been sold out well the past 2 NYE >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12863119

finances (in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...arn-money.html)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
(there were breakdowns for individual resorts, but i wasnt sure i could figure it out)

thai occupancy just keeps dropping, especially FS. just looked at the owner's financials. makes me curious how low amanpuri, trisara, MO are. certainly interesting trisara rates continue to creep up, while amanpuri did massive discount.
i assume the labour costs were a part of hotel bora bora's issues as well. i cant entirely understand DLF's financial reports, but it seems like hotel bora bora had a ton of debt. closing it doesnt service it, but i guess operating costs were still too high? presumably the financing is all private/internal.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 25, 2010 at 6:00 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

It seems no time since Ross & Sunny Lusted started as co-gm's of Amangiri.
Anyhow in the great tradition of amanresorts another couple are now
co-general managers as Shawn & Beverly Matthews have taken over. They managed Twin Farms at one time.

Just for amanjunkies : Francois Richli is in the south of Spain (as mentioned by Vuittons). He is now general manager of 'Trassierra' a 16th centrury palacio near Seville.
(from The Boutique search firm)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:52 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We're spending a quick 4th of July weekend at Amanyara. (Yes Kage...a few days later I managed to score the tickets!) Since this is one of the most, if not the most expensive of the Amans, we are leaving ourselves at the mercy of the upgrade Gods so don't tell me what room to book. LOL.

We're planning to dive one day and snorkel one day. Their activities list is very short compared to the other Amans and it all seems pretty straightforward...eat, sleep, sit on the beach, eat, sleep, sit on the beach. Other than that, is there any special activity we're missing? Since our time is so short, I'd say any other offsite excursions are not possible.

Who's the GM? Good guy? Anything else I should know?

Ericka
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Ericka
We're spending a quick 4th of July weekend at Amanyara. (Yes Kage...a few days later I managed to score the tickets!) Since this is one of the most, if not the most expensive of the Amans, we are leaving ourselves at the mercy of the upgrade Gods so don't tell me what room to book. LOL.

We're planning to dive one day and snorkel one day. Their activities list is very short compared to the other Amans and it all seems pretty straightforward...eat, sleep, sit on the beach, eat, sleep, sit on the beach. Other than that, is there any special activity we're missing? Since our time is so short, I'd say any other offsite excursions are not possible.

Who's the GM? Good guy? Anything else I should know?

Ericka
I can't comment on room to request as I stayed in a 3 BR Villa last summer, but your agenda sounds about right... eat, sleep, sit on beach, eat, sit by pool, eat.... I was there for 1 week and never went off-site. It is ~30 minute drive to get to the "happening" area on Turks.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Ericka
Ericka
If you can get room 115 it has a nice, private beach. There will be some people that walk by, but it is a very desirable room (if you can't get upgraded to a villa ).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:49 pm

Ask where they are setting up special locations for dinner. Had a nice dinner at the beach club which was set up just for two, very nicely done. If you don't like the view the room has, don't take it, ask for something else, they have lots of choices. Did you book with a TA? Get them to request and get you the upgrade you are looking for. You are a loyal customer,they are going to take very good care of you. Send a note to another GM you know and tell them how your looking forward to staying at Amanyara. I think most of the guest are people who would never go to Indonesia or the other Asian country's, mostly east coast, so you should be the only Amanjunkie's there. Its going to be perfect!

Last edited by zigzag; Jun 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:46 am

DavidO is helping us out with regard to upgrades. But I appreciate it is a holiday weekend and...what's the expression...beggars can't be choosers.

I'll ask about special meal locations. Actually, I wonder if they are doing something for the 4th of July. There may be enough Americans there to warrant it.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Amanfayun looks fantastic.

The brochure is now online : http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...ure2010(1).pdf
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Amanfayun looks fantastic.

The brochure is now online : http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...ure2010(1).pdf
Just received hard copies of the new Amanfayun and Amangiri brochures - very glossy and with some of the best photography I have seen from Aman.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:41 am

Back to Amanyara --
If we opt for the private "Ocean Cove" dinner one night ($500) we will either have to miss dinner altogether in the main restaurant or the BBQ dinner at the Beach Club due to our short stay. We're not sure it's worth it.

We've always done these private dinners in the past, but....

Thoughts? What are the settings like for the Restaurant and the Beach Club?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:21 am

I think for your short stay breakfast and dinner are included. I would not spend the 500 dollars on a beach club or ocean cove dinner as the restaurant has lots of nice places to sit and eat. Drinks at the bar, dinner in the restaurant and dessert someplace else will make for a very nice evening. Book the cinema if you love movies!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:17 am

Thanks for this zigzag. I think that's how we're leaning.
Though fyi...only breakfast is included (the dinner pkg currently requires a 4-night stay where it used to be 3.)

Our dinner at the beach club would be an all-resort cookout kind of thing. Not private and presumably cheaper than $500. Were they doing this when you were there?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:39 pm

No just for two people at the beach club and it cost only 250.00++. When I look back at all the trips and how much less it used to be I feel like I am getting old, as everything seems more and more each year. LOL!
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:29 am

Malaysian sovereign fund close to buying a controlling stake in Aman

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSGE65G01Y20100617
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:27 am

I wonder if these are the same people who bought FS London - Khazanah?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.