Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
FWIW, I went ahead and booked the service. They've told me they'll meet us upon disembarkation from the aircraft. Although the cost is not great, I'm not one to just throw away forty clams per person, so I hope the service delivers some value. Since it's our first time passing through CGK, I suspect it will at a minimum help us get sorted.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:19 am
Original Poster

There's still some confusion as to whether Amanresorts has been sold.
Here's the latest twist from Gallivanters on Twitter :

http://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/s...10518500642816
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/th...latter/886037/
Chef Pankaj Sharma from Delhi’s Aman Resorts, won the Bocuse d’Or India, one of the most prestigious cooking competitions in the world. Sharma, who won the national leg of the event, will travel to Shanghai next year, to participate in the Bocuse d’Or, Asia, where he will compete against chefs from 11 other Asian countries. The top four contestants will get a chance to compete in the international Bocuse d’Or, that will be held in France in 2013.

Sharma’s winning dish was a sous vide cooked lamb infused with ginger and coriander, served with winter vegetables and curry polenta, garnished with smoked milk foam.
http://www.thephuketnews.com/news-bu...cord-27942.php
suggests record sale on phuket is ~$8mm at sri panwa (not amanpuri/trisara?)
subject is top villa at cape yamu, not sure if optional hotel management or not

http://www.thephuketnews.com/news-lo...ated-27911.php
surin (no longer ghm but next to amanpuri) runs into zoning trouble

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
FWIW, I went ahead and booked the service. They've told me they'll meet us upon disembarkation from the aircraft. Although the cost is not great, I'm not one to just throw away forty clams per person, so I hope the service delivers some value. Since it's our first time passing through CGK, I suspect it will at a minimum help us get sorted.
Here's my report on how things went:

We were slightly delayed leaving Bangkok for some reason, the door closed and everything ready to roll but we went nowhere for a good 20 minutes. That started to make things feel tight in terms of making our connection. We landed at CGK and taxied to a remote parking stand. Upon disembarkation down a flight of airstairs, we were taken into a GA van for Executive Class pax and driven a good distance across the field to a door that led into the International Arrivals pier. From there, we walked down a hall and were met by the Aman Concierge Service. The entire hall was stark empty-- no pax at all at Visa on Arrival, regular Immigration desks, nothing. The Concierge whisked us this way and that, and took my passport and $25 in cash US dollars for the visa on arrival, as well as Mr. Megatop's passport to get the regular stamp. We were shown down a side area (not that it mattered) and past the regular immigration desks. The Concierge caught up to us and waited with us at the baggage carousel.

GA delivered the bags very quickly. I noticed baggage boys pulling the Exec Class bags off the belt and taking them to a small waiting area, where I gather we could have waited. Once we retreived our bags, the Concierge took the cart and led us to the Customs check. Hand-carry baggage only was put through the x-ray. Then the Concierge took us to the GA transit desk, where he left our bags in GA's hands for sending back outside (they were through-checked in BKK for JOG but we had to retreive at CGK, similar to the procedure in the US). He showed us upstairs to the departures hall and walked us straight to our seats in the GA lounge, which was pretty comfortable, all things considered.

After thinking our connection was tightening up, I was pleasantly surprised to get a good 30 minutes in the lounge to chill out and have a light bite. At departure time, we walked out to the GA domestic departure piers, clearing security on the way. The small departure lounge held a couple of flights. When ours to JOG was ready, a crush for the door began, no priority call (in English anyway) or lane. Once through the gate's doorway, we went down a flight of stairs. Another van was there waiting for Executive Class pax, though you had to know to identify yourself/ask for it. The van took us back to the remote stands, the plane adjacent to the one we arrived from BKK on.

At JOG, another van took us for a very short drive (we could have walked easily) from the airstairs to the Executive lounge, then dark and pretty much closed. The amanjiwo staff asked us to wait there, not really explaining why or what was going on, offered us drinks and asked for the baggage-claim tags (a clue!). We waited about 10 or 15 minutes after disembarking, then were told that our bags had been claimed and we were all set to go. When shown to the amanjiwo car, our bags were already loaded in the back, and we climbed in. We drove out of JOG at the stroke of 9:30 pm, and we pulled into amanjiwo right at 10:30. Though less scenic, the drive was much smoother and faster than the longer winding road from SOC.

For our departure, we left from amanjiwo at 5:45 am and made it to JOG at 6:45 am, though morning traffic was starting to choke up in Yogyakarta. When we return to amanjiwo, we will definitely route through JOG again and would recommend it to anyone.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very detailed, thanks ^
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:46 pm

Does anyone have recent comments on amanwana?

Groombridge's report on aging facilities is a bit concerning (very detailed TR, much appreciated). That said, people have complained that amandari needed a refresh, but we found it perfectly agreeable. paul2, whose opinions/reviews I know and trust, had quite favorable things to say about amanwana, so I'm very interested in recent reviews-- particularly whether any of the facilities concerns by Groombridge have been addressed.

BTW: Greetings from Suite 27 at amankila!

Last edited by MegatopLover; Dec 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in Groombridge's 2010 thread >

Originally Posted by Groombridge
“Can we use a Hobie Cat?” “No, our only one is broken.”

We were in Ocean Tents #3 and #4
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Our Wana tent 10 in June was ok and even had new air conditioning ( think others were eventually getting them too

Went on the hobie cat but was told that one other was broken and they were waiting for a replacements.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so they didnt do a (complete) refresh in april/may this year..
amandari closed for renovations from oct 26 2008 > jan 22 2009

feb 4 2009
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Amandari, although 20 years old this year is immaculate after its refurbishment (Love the Amandari Suite here - private pool, tranquil views).
feb 5 2009
Amandari, since its refurbishment, looks superb and is certainly not tired. There are new pathways, new library (larger) and interiors and exteriors are now very fresh.
oct 3 2010
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Ayung Suite, a duplex suite with a pool and a nice view. I’m not crazy about the duplex suite’s layout—the upstairs bedroom feeling a bit too rustic for my taste, so I’d recommend instead the one-level pool suite immediately next to the Ayung Suite, which has an infinity pool rather than the in-ground pool of the Ayung Suite.
apr 27 2011
Originally Posted by DavidO
It has been noted on this forum that Amandari is an older resort and its rooms are a little dated. I would agree with this assessment. While FS Sayan has a superior room product...If Amandari renovates its villas, it will be the perfect resort.
jul 6 2011
Originally Posted by blueline7
Now, for the villas, or pavilions. I had read reports that they were "outdated" and utilitarian. This is rubbish. They are beautiful, contemporary, inspirational, and luxurious. I had a private pool suite and a two-story villa, which was secluded behind the ancient-looking high walls of Amandari. The entranceway is off of the network of pathways seemingly hewed through the tropical jungle which boasts gorgeous tropical flowers throughout.

[room pics follow]
dec 27 2011
people have complained that amandari needed a refresh, but we found it perfectly agreeable.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2011 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Anyone have an idea as to when Hotel Bora Bora will re-open?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Good news: Monty (from Amanusa) is the GM, so it looks like the project is actually moving ahead.

Bad news: Rumors I have heard is that it is at least a 2013 opening.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Only when the economy brightens. Currently no money for the re-build.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17423090-post28.html
page 186 has not good looking financials?
DLF acquired aman at the end of 2007
announcement was after bear stearns (mar 2008) but before lehman brothers (sep 2008)
cyclone oli (feb 2010) may have done damage
Originally Posted by ridefar
Good news: Monty (from Amanusa) is the GM, so it looks like the project is actually moving ahead.

Bad news: Rumors I have heard is that it is at least a 2013 opening.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Monty moves to Hawaii to cover developments in that direction.
all we can do is hope someone good buys aman from DLF

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have recent comments on amanwana?

Groombridge's report on aging facilities is a bit concerning (very detailed TR, much appreciated). That said, people have complained that amandari needed a refresh, but we found it perfectly agreeable. paul2, whose opinions/reviews I know and trust, had quite favorable things to say about amanwana, so I'm very interested in recent reviews-- particularly whether any of the facilities concerns by Groombridge have been addressed.

BTW: Greetings from Suite 27 at amankila!
Thank you Megatoplover! Glad to hear your trip is going well. Enjoy Amankila. I really like Amanwana as I do Amanjiwo. They are probably my two favourite Amans. Are you thinking of going on from Amankila to Amanwana shortly? If you are, I think you should talk to the GM at 'kila as the GM's visit each other fairly regularly in Indonesia.
We spent a few Christmas/New Years there and loved it (as well as other times). Actually, I have never faulted the place. If you haven't been before, do go, it's a special place IMHO.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by paul2
Thank you Megatoplover! Glad to hear your trip is going well. Enjoy Amankila. I really like Amanwana as I do Amanjiwo. They are probably my two favourite Amans. Are you thinking of going on from Amankila to Amanwana shortly? If you are, I think you should talk to the GM at 'kila as the GM's visit each other fairly regularly in Indonesia.
We spent a few Christmas/New Years there and loved it (as well as other times). Actually, I have never faulted the place. If you haven't been before, do go, it's a special place IMHO.
I'm looking ahead to next year and figuring out what we're going to do for Christmas. This time last year, we already had amanjiwo-amankila booked.

I am going to talk to Tracy today about amanwana to get her take.

Two additional questions:

1. If we do amankila-amanwana next year instead of amandari-amanwana, will we be bored with the quietness/remoteness aspects of both places?

I'm a bit worried that the solitude of amankila, followed by the remoteness of amanwana will leave us stir crazy. I'm also thinking that as much as we love amankila (it's probably our singular favorite resort in the world), we might get a little more cultural immersion at amandari, being closer to Ubud and with much better access to Balinese aritsan and craftsman workshops for shopping.

2. amanwana used to publish two transfer options from DPS to amanwana: Air Travira floatplanes directly into amanwana, and Trans Nusa prop planes to Sumbawa Airport, followed by a boat transfer to the resort. It seems that recently a higher-speed boat has gone into service at amanwana. Yet the website no longer lists TransNusa as an option. From the web, it looks like Trans Nusa is still operating that route. Any ideas why the option is no longer listed? Besides the dramatic arrival experience on the float plane, which has been thoroughly covered on FT, any comments on the alternatives?

The float plane runs $400 nett PER PERSON EACH WAY. For two pax, that's $1600 in transfer costs roundtrip. If we stay four nights, that adds $400 per night to the expense, nearly 50% of the room rate. By comparison, TransNusa is shown as $150 nett per person each way. For two pax, that's a savings of $1000. Re my comments up-thread about not throwing away forty clams, it goes twenty-five fold when we're talking about a thousand samoleans.

Also, the float plane has a strict baggage limitation of 15 kg per pax. I'm not exactly known for traveling light, so this could be a serious problem.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:13 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Smile Amankila/ Amanwana CHRISTmas & NY

I'm looking ahead to next year and figuring out what we're going to do for Christmas. This time last year, we already had amanjiwo-amankila booked.

I am going to talk to Tracy today about amanwana to get her take.
Two additional questions:

1. If we do amankila-amanwana next year instead of amandari-amanwana, will we be bored with the quietness/remoteness aspects of both places?

I'm a bit worried that the solitude of amankila, followed by the remoteness of amanwana will leave us stir crazy. I'm also thinking that as much as we love amankila (it's probably our singular favorite resort in the world), we might get a little more cultural immersion at amandari, being closer to Ubud and with much better access to Balinese aritsan and craftsman workshops for shopping.

2. amanwana used to publish two transfer options from DPS to amanwana: Air Travira floatplanes directly into amanwana, and Trans Nusa prop planes to Sumbawa Airport, followed by a boat transfer to the resort. It seems that recently a higher-speed boat has gone into service at amanwana. Yet the website no longer lists TransNusa as an option. From the web, it looks like Trans Nusa is still operating that route. Any ideas why the option is no longer listed? Besides the dramatic arrival experience on the float plane, which has been thoroughly covered on FT, any comments on the alternatives?

The float plane runs $400 nett PER PERSON EACH WAY. For two pax, that's $1600 in transfer costs roundtrip. If we stay four nights, that adds $400 per night to the expense, nearly 50% of the room rate. By comparison, TransNusa is shown as $150 nett per person each way. For two pax, that's a savings of $1000. Re my comments up-thread about not throwing away forty clams, it goes twenty-five fold when we're talking about a thousand samoleans.

Also, the float plane has a strict baggage limitation of 15 kg per pax. I'm not exactly known for traveling light, so this could be a serious problem.
Well, the flights are seasonal .
If you're the only ones on the float plane - the " amount " of luggage won't be a problem
The new boat is good to ensure your baggage situation is taken care of but you can expect flight delays, etc.
I won't be bored with this combination.
CHRISTmas at Amankila will be quite lovely from what I gather from Tracy .
You can always do day trips to Ubud, etc. I even had dinner at Seminyak one evening - the ride at night is quite fast as there's less traffic & like none after dinner!
Have a good chat with Tracy , looking forward to seeing her next month
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:33 pm

Apparently amanresorts are no longer recommending Trans Nusa flights, which make a 20-minute stop in Lombok on the way to Sumbawa, because the service has been found unreliable. Flights would get delayed or cancelled with little explanation or recourse, and guests wound up missing international connections at DPS. (Perhaps this is what FlyerEC was alluding to.) It is still an option, though.

I suppose one could book the floatplane when connections are important and the Trans Nusa routing when they're not as important. As long as one could deal with the baggage limitation o/w, of course.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:25 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
For our departure, we left from amanjiwo at 5:45 am and made it to JOG at 6:45 am, though morning traffic was starting to choke up in Yogyakarta. When we return to amanjiwo, we will definitely route through JOG again and would recommend it to anyone.
Great service from Aman as CGK is not really the place you want to transit and GA is even less the airline you want to fly.

Routing through JOG you are missing the very nice drive from SOC (Solo City) to Amanijwo. There are two routes, one over the mountains (spectacular volcanoes) and another via a fantastic Khmer style temple.

Also flying through SIN with MI is a breeze and their Saturday flight is at a convenient time. The Tuesday and Thursday flights are a little bit early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.