Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

It's interesting that Amanresorts expansion plans are well under way and developing whilst the sale negotiations drag on.
Greece,Gabon,Portugal,China,Jordan and others further down the line,hopefully the new owners will 'get' Adrians vision, preferably with him on board.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...es_596963.html
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wir...es_597413.html

zecha's 1980 apt (regent days) >
http://www.wayofdesign.com/ebook/adigest.htm
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.amanresorts.com/amansvetistefan/rates.aspx

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

The Gallivanters Guide just tweeted an update on the sale of aman :

http://twitter.com/#!/Gallivanters/s...63808166977536
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:46 pm

I am thinking of making a first ever trip to an Aman Resort in 2012, but I would be going solo on this occasion.

I have stayed at other luxury hotels on my own, such as Marina Bay Sands (don't laugh), Madinat Jumeirah Al Qasr, MO Dhara Dhevi, and Shangri-La's Boracay Resort. But I imagine at Aman I would make me stand out like a sore thumb, especially at the beach resorts like Kila, Usa, Pulo etc., since the staff outnumber the guests by about 3-1 I heard.

Please be honest with me, how strange is it to go to an Aman Resort on your own?

The places I would most like to go are Amanpuri, and strangely, Amanfayun.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer

Please be honest with me, how strange is it to go to an Aman Resort on your own?

I had the exact same concern, prior to staying at Trisara, Amankila, and Amandari, but it turned out there was not the slightest reason to be concerned, whatsoever!

Of course on occasion one may feel a bit self conscious dining alone, but the other guests probably think one's wife is tired out and sleeping back at the villa!

The staff, from even prior to my arrival, made me feel very welcome as a solo traveler, and I was always very, very comfortable in every respect.

Let me know if you have any questions. There is not the slightest reason to be concerned. Enjoy!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:22 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Aman Alone

I am thinking of making a first ever trip to an Aman Resort in 2012, but I would be going solo on this occasion.

I have stayed at other luxury hotels on my own, such as Marina Bay Sands (don't laugh), Madinat Jumeirah Al Qasr, MO Dhara Dhevi, and Shangri-La's Boracay Resort. But I imagine at Aman I would make me stand out like a sore thumb, especially at the beach resorts like Kila, Usa, Pulo etc., since the staff outnumber the guests by about 3-1 I heard.

You'll be fine. Have done it often enough just to get away from the madding crowd or for some calm after a family gathering . e. g. either extend stay on own or move to after being in the city.
This year, it's been Amanpuri twice & also Amankila

Hope this helps
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH

I have stayed with Amangiri & Amangani on my own, and I enjoyed my stay and the warm hospitality so much I didn't really care I was on my own!

You'll be just fine going on your own, have fun!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I know someone who frequented Amandari on her own; she went for the relaxation, the tranquility of the place; being alone wasn't an issue. While Mr. Megatop and I were at Amankila in December 2009, we met a nice young woman from New York, an advertising exec, who was on her own and seemed perfectly content. Some people just want to be on their own sometimes. Amanresorts seem as good a place as any, if not better, for that purpose.

That said, I've only visited amans with Mr. Megatop.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:32 am

Over the years I have met loads of single guests at Amans - the staff tend to look after singles wonderfully. I have only done this once, but felt totally looked after by staff, especially during meal times.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:10 pm

I've done Amanjiwo on my own and felt very comfortable. During meals there was always someone to talk to. Would you be lonely, I don't think so. I had them bring in a TV as in the heat of the day it was nice to go watch a movie so if the resort you are visiting does not have one ask, if you desire one. Also do a few activities, and take a bike out for a ride, hang by the pool, and if the right mix of people are there you would be surprised how social it has become sometimes.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:27 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Aman alone

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I know someone who frequented Amandari on her own; she went for the relaxation, the tranquility of the place; being alone wasn't an issue. While Mr. Megatop and I were at Amankila in December 2009, we met a nice young woman from New York, an advertising exec, who was on her own and seemed perfectly content. Some people just want to be on their own sometimes. Amanresorts seem as good a place as any, if not better, for that purpose.

That said, I've only visited amans with Mr. Megatop.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Over the years I have met loads of single guests at Amans - the staff tend to look after singles wonderfully. I have only done this once, but felt totally looked after by staff, especially during meal times.

Originally Posted by zigzag
I've done Amanjiwo on my own and felt very
comfortable. During meals there was always someone to talk to. Would you be
lonely, I don't think so. I had them bring in a TV as in the heat of the day it was nice to go watch a movie so if the resort you are visiting does not have one ask, if you desire one. Also do a few activities, and take a bike out for a ride, hang by the pool, and if the right mix of people are there you would be surprised how social it has become sometimes.

As you can see, Aman is lovely to be at either alone , with one's spouse or others.
I've also met some travelling alone. You often get to meet them at tea time or in the pool which probably has only 2 in it
My single friend was recently at one too but was in a mixed small " group " with couples too.
Be sure too ask for the TV , borrow books / magazines, etc from the library..
& enjoy - perhaps see you there too . Now to decide which Amans
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:56 am

Thanks for the reassurance. I may just well go, probably in summer 2012.

Amanpuri seems the nicest to me, although from the website the pictures of Amanfayun have really sold it to me!

That said, I want to visit Indonesia one day, so perhaps Amandari and Amanusa combined. Too many to choose from!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, 1m
Amanpuri has THE MOST AMAZING spa, gym, workout equipment and accompanying facilitators!!! I look forward to returning for a week as a single...working out, having treatments and walking on the beach.

For me, Amanfayun is a short stay...no comparison.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:41 am

Question

I hate this to be my first post, but I have to say, "I'm flummoxed."

Returned last month from a stay at AMANPURI and it was easy to be unimpressed. My experience was riddled with multiple unfulfilled requests (refilling bath salts; buggy pick ups; non-terry bathrobes in 90F, 90% humid weather); my partner took the key to the spa and when I called for them to open my room, no one came, I had to flag down a housekeeper 20 min later; beach boys brought you water and set up umbrellas upon your arrival never to be seen again; my massage definitely felt rushed; women in the gift shop said they didn't have a size in a shirt I was looking for, I opened the drawer and found it myself; the restaurant never quite understood that I only wanted pineapple and mango on my fruit plate (fruit was very inconsistently ripe for Thailand), but kiwis, strawberries and other fruits would appear on my plate or my request for an organic egg with my breakfast which was on the menu never made its appearance every day for a week; requests made prior to my arrival were a mystery to the staff; housekeeping was definitely less intuitive about knowing when you were in the room and not, I was not in the room very much, but received three knocks to service the room; okay, this is petty, but they only occasionally refilled the in-room cookies; one guest on the boat didn't realize they were supposed to get a fruit in the room until we were talking about it; when I mentioned not replenishing bath salts even upon repeated requests, one guest said to me, "You got bath salts in your room?"; the woman in the gym one morning didn't smile or even acknowledge as she replenished bananas, no smile, nothing, as if I wasn't there; the GMs kids were at the upper pool with their mother for afternoon tea, one munchkin (they are really cute) jumped into the pool in front of my lounger and drenched my book, not a tragedy, but at an Aman?; and there were more.

I've been to other Amans with classic and exceptional, unforgettable Aman service. When the assistant manager asked what other Amans I had stayed at, she sort of krinkled her face and said, "Oh, those are much more like residences, we're more like a resort." But I know this as I've been to the Puri before!

The resort was less than 1/3 full and no offer of an upgrade.

There were some good things. I took a cruise and the staff was terrific, though one guest complained they never came to pick up our empty drink cans and we were securing them to the straps or tromping back below deck to toss them ourselves. The boat was a bit tired with crack windows, etc. But I think we all felt we were in good hands with the crew and wished the crew was our staff at the resort. Evening restaurant staff were stellar, but the morning staff had difficulty with English and my Thai is not so good. Oh, except, I dined with some guests I met at the resort and they charged the entire bill to my room. The fellow who met me at the airport for departure was incredible. He ushered me directly to the First Class line and spoke to the agent for me, I didn't need to do or say anything at all. I'm a believer in the communal tip policy, but I was so excited I practically unloaded the rest of my THB on him!

The room was well maintained. There was one water bottle holder that was shredded and needed replacing. They should explain how to use the sprayer in the shower and bathtub. And this is a nit, but I love how the other Amans have bath amenities in containers that are mostly locally crafted. I found the plastic bottles labeled "Shampoo" beneath the Aman standard.

I'm accustomed to rarely being asked my room number, but after seven days...really? You still need my room number? I don't ever recall being asked for my room number before.

Someone needs to solve the mystery for me of the Amanpuri. I willing to believe it was a seven day anomaly. But the intuitive quality of an Aman was completely lacking.

I hate feeling this way. Before this experience, I was in love with Aman, couldn't wait to get the next one. Now I feel hesitant to journey off to others.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.