Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by mecabq
Sorry to get too off-topic, but I had difficulty with this. The scene at the train station on Hangzhou was utter bedlam; the Amanfayun staff provided absolutely no help (besides chasing me inside and demanding payment for the car ride to the train station even though I had paid at the hotel when I checked out). When I finally got help from some friendly locals, we waited in a long line together to discover that there were no more seats available on any train that day. Luckily, our new friends helped us board a bus to Shanghai.

At the very least, I would advise making a reservation and otherwise planning ahead for this train.
The only issue is ticket only sell in station now, better ask hotel concierge arrange before arrival, I try to buy the ticket when I arrive Hangzhou, but give up after saw the long queue. I can't believe Aman didn't look after the further transportation arrangement.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

The new pool pavillions at Amanpuri have decent sized pools, two are 10 metres x 3 metres and the other is 7 m x 3 m.
(from The Gallivanters Guide on twitter)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Amanwana

The Aman X transfer boat from Sumbawa to Moyo has cut the trip from one hour and 30 minutes to just 30 minutes!
So,if your flight to Bali doesn't work well with the floatplane transfer to Moyo or you want to save on the cost of the floatplane this trip has become one hour shorter from Bali.
I remember my first trip there with some family members many years ago so I have a very soft spot for that 90 minute boat trip to a favourite place.
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanwana/news.aspx
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar
We just returned from Sveti Stefan and would like to post our impressions here. To start with the conclusion, this is a ‘real’ Aman, in the sense that it gives you the full Aman experience, as you would expect, even though it has not been open that long (something that we did not feel at Amantaka, although given time this may change). The setting of Villa Milocer is stunning and you feel privileged to spend time in such a special place. The outdoor terrace is a delight to sit on and read a book, or to have breakfast. Our room was fabulous – we had suite 3 which is the one to go for in the Villa as it is sea-facing and has a very large balcony. The furnishings in the room were extremely tasteful – in keeping with the style of the building while offering a fresh, modern feel at the same time. The central fireplace (not needed during our stay) and the massive LCD screen above it form quite the centrepiece. There are some design faults, though. One is – an all too common architectect’s disease – that the door of the toilet is made of transparent glass. Anyone else in the bathroom (or even from some points in the room) can look right in, so there is zero privacy. Completely silly. Another was that, although we had such a fabulous balcony, there was no furniture to sit on. So we schlepped some chairs outside. Overall though, the room was extremely comfortable and the rest of the building beautiful as well with the customary well-stocked library, spacious lobby, and restaurant.
The next day we moved to Sveti Stefan (deluxe cottage 18). The island is a world onto itself and Jean-Pierre and his team are doing an extraordinary job bringing it back to life. It is quite the experience simply to walk around. Words don’t do it justice. The project is not yet ready – the whole island shuts next week until mid-April, but enough was ready to get a sense of the extremely intimate and special atmosphere that is being created. The facilities could well become better than almost any other Aman. The bar is fabulous, the swimming pool beautiful, nestled on a sheer cliff with waves crashing 100 feet below, and another pool being built on the other side of the island overlooking Budva. Six spa rooms, a cigar bar, a pasticceria, a Mediterranean style piazza, all wonderful. Our cottage was extremely spacious with two terraces, a small one to the North, and a very large one to the South-East, an enormous ground-floor bathroom and a very large bedroom upstairs. Personally I preferred the décor in the Villa – the cottages were a bit too ‘rustic’ for me, reminding me of some of the cheaper houses we sometimes stayed in with our family in France (think white-washed walls, sparse wooden furniture). It would be difficult to do much else and the result is very much in keeping with the style of the island and the houses. The rooms are also very comfortable, but as a personal preference my vote goes to Villa Milocer.
So, Villa Milocer or Sveti Stefan? As an experience there is no question, the island is completely unique. The ocean all around you, the small streets, the sense of intimacy, privacy, and privilege of staying there are very special. But, do not think that staying at Villa Milocer is a second-rate choice. The building is superb, as is the setting and the rooms are gorgeous. If it becomes easier to move between the two (see below), this is a very good option indeed.
A pleasant surprise was food & beverage. At Amans we often find ourselves eating outside, either because we prefer local food or because we just don’t feel comfortable paying US$15 for a beer or $50 for a steak. We tried three of the restaurants, two of which are open to the public. Olive Restaurant is a casual but very pleasant place with absolutely fantastic food. Montenegrin specialties, very fresh, and very well cooked at very reasonable prices. We also ate at Queen’s Chair, which has absolutely stunning views. It is slightly more pricey but the quality was outstanding. This too is open to the public and so don’t expect the full Aman service experience (although staff were very friendly). Breakfast in the Villa was about as good as it gets, with absolutely fantastic pastries and cooked food. I’d struggle to think of anywhere in Central London where we would be able to get this level of breakfast food.
We also had a massage, one in the Villa in our room and one in a spa room on the Island. The two Thai masseuses (trained at Amanpuri) were very good, certainly not less so than at any of the Asian Amans.
Housekeeping was excellent
As good as it was, the experience was not flawless – some of the staff (especially at reception), although fine, still have a quite a ways to go before reaching Aman standards. There was occasionally a slight sense of reluctance, or at least not of a proactively pleasant demeanour (others were excellent – it’s so easy to pick the ones who will still be there five years from now). Others seemed oddly out of place and I kept wondering if they were Aman staff or not. Perhaps this is related to the building work that is going on on the island but many people seemed to be milling about that had no apparent business there. Even security guards and drivers were dressed in track pants and sports shoes and had not had any apparent Aman training (although they were not unfriendly). Even proper Aman staff did not have uniforms or even a uniform dress code. Some staff were walking around in tennis shoes (with dress pants). It felt a bit odd. Perhaps this was also because there is a real sense of disconnection between the ‘Aman world’ that you feel you enter when in the Villa and when on the island, and outside. The path between Villa Milocer and Sveti Stefan is open to the public, as are the beaches. This means that on the weekend we were there lots of people were walking in front of the Villa. Not quite so close to be disturbing, but one does feel a bit like a fish in an acquarium. So when stepping out of the villa and walking towards the island, you join families walking their dogs etc. Then when arriving at the causeway linking the mainland to Sveti Stefan, a gruff-looking ‘security guard’ in trainers tells you you can’t enter the island, until you point out you’re actually a guest. It’s difficult to describe but the sense of leaving the ‘Aman cocoon’ is not entirely ideal. I understand a shuttle boat will eventually operate between the two and that should make for a much more pleasant experience.

So, should you go? Yes, I would say so. As all Amans it is expensive but you get an ‘experience’ for your money. We would not hesitate to return.
Aman Sveti Stefan will have the shuttle boat operational between Milocer and the island shortly if you don't fancy the walk although I quite like mixing with locals and savouring the culture as long as no one bothers me.

Some nice photos in their brochure : http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...20Sep%2009.pdf
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Aman Sveti Stefan will have the shuttle boat operational between Milocer and the island shortly if you don't fancy the walk although I quite like mixing with locals and savouring the culture as long as no one bothers me.

Some nice photos in their brochure : http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...20Sep%2009.pdf
I tried out the shuttle boat when we stayed on the island and it was a brilliant experience as you land at a little cave and walk through it to the beach and Milocer. The views from the boat are extraordinary. Nobody bothers you there!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Aman updates from The Gallivanters Guide on twitter:

There is a recently restored boat at Amangalla for whale watching and other sea based activities.Apparently december to april is the best time for whale sightings off the coast of Sri Lanka.
http://www.amanresorts.com/experience.aspx?id=13767

Also,the first two levels of The Borobudur in Java have reopened following the eruptions last year of Mt.Merapi...good news for those planning a trip to Amanjiwo!
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanjiwo/home.aspx
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Aman social media

Amanresorts have not embraced social media as rapidly as Four Seasons.(Four Seasons has 75 official accounts on Twitter!)

I have found Amankora,Amanjena and Amangiri on Facebook but only some fake accounts on Twitter.
If anyone comes across new accounts as they open,please let us know here!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

isnt it good their employees are busy elsewhere?

although pics are always good, and occasional news updates.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:41 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanjiwo

Aman updates from The Gallivanters Guide on twitter:

Also,the first two levels of The Borobudur in Java have reopened following the eruptions last year of Mt.Merapi...good news for those planning a trip to Amanjiwo!
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanjiwo/home.aspx
Am so glad that Aman does not tweet or have other 'new' social media modes.

Sean F, GM of Amanjiwo, was so kind to host me yesterday . Am pleased to report that all is very well at Amanjiwo, ready to welcome all new to the area and of course, us - Amanjunkies
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Am so glad that Aman does not tweet or have other 'new' social media modes.
Why not? Amankora posts many news stories from Bhutan and nice pictures on their Facebook page (I'm not a Facebook fan) and Four Seasons tweet nice updates from their hotels on twitter with news on their restaurants and activities.
The Gallivanters Guide tweets updates on amanresorts and many other luxury hotels, their most recent being a link to this aman story from : http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...120-19xru.html

The article is from january 23rd,so its really good up to date news.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:47 pm

I really wish Amanresorts would use social media more often. I think Aman's website fails at updating their "news" section. I think many of us were interested in what was happening at Amanjiwo when the volcano was erupting and would have liked a weekly or daily update. Amanresorts could update special events that are happening daily around their hotel or special rates would be a dream!!!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Why not? Amankora posts many news stories from Bhutan and nice pictures on their Facebook page (I'm not a Facebook fan) and Four Seasons tweet nice updates from their hotels on twitter with news on their restaurants and activities.
The Gallivanters Guide tweets updates on amanresorts and many other luxury hotels, their most recent being a link to this aman story from : http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...120-19xru.html

The article is from january 23rd,so its really good up to date news.
Originally Posted by zigzag
I really wish Amanresorts would use social media more often. I think Aman's website fails at updating their "news" section. I think many of us were interested in what was happening at Amanjiwo when the volcano was erupting and would have liked a weekly or daily update. Amanresorts could update special events that are happening daily around their hotel or special rates would be a dream!!!

Well, I rather Aman themselves remain ' exclusive ' keeping an air of ' mystery ' and keeping us comfortable when we're at ' home ' ( as it is some are slipping here - yes, they need to "be busy elsewhere"). Leave the tweets, etc to Gallivanters G , Robb R & such
I am not a Facebook fan or even on Facebook
BUT updates on their websites will be very much appreciated - then we won't have to email them for updates... they did a bit better during the tsunami. They have fallen far short on this., even with website improvements.

On another ( positive ) note, the sense of community was in full swing with the Amanjiwo team helping with the clean up of the surrounding area including the temples the last couple of months even while they protected Amanjiwo.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
New spa at Pulo
New pool pavillions at Yara
and more...

http://explore.amanresorts.com/conte...57aa0ff2e1a2a8
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:30 pm

On another ( positive ) note, the sense of community was in full swing with the Amanjiwo team helping with the clean up of the surrounding area including the temples the last couple of months even while they protected Amanjiwo.
Good to hear FlyerEC, thanks!

My wife and I are spending 5 nights at Jiwo in April, and unless the volcano erupts again (please lets hope not for everyone there's sake!) we are glad to hear that all will be OK.

We're quite excited about the trip - can't wait to check out Borobudur and central Java, and of course Jiwo...

Lark
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:42 am

Well, I rather Aman themselves remain ' exclusive ' keeping an air of ' mystery ' and keeping us comfortable when we're at ' home ' ( as it is some are slipping here - yes, they need to "be busy elsewhere"). Leave the tweets, etc to Gallivanters G , Robb R & such
I totally agree!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.