Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:20 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So I've been noticing more "prepayment" requirements for Aman lately. At Yara, we booked within a month of our stay and needed to pay a two-night's deposit. Now Jena is asking for a two night deposit for a reservation next May. There is also more "official" language around check-in and check-out times, cancellation policies, etc.

I don't remember seeing this kind of language until this last year. Is it happening across all Amans or just specific properties? The reservation process used to feel more casual and done "in good faith" than it does now.

Correction: the jena two night deposit will not actually get charged until 14 days out.

Last edited by Ericka; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dont understand check-in / check-out at all..

understand deposits/cancellation/etc but how will it help with aman clientele that dont care if they lose it?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:43 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I get the sense that the check-in and check-out times are really just a CYA. They still encourage you to come and go at your convenience but there are no guarantees.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dont understand check-in / check-out at all..

understand deposits/cancellation/etc but how will it help with aman clientele that dont care if they lose it?
Not all Aman guests are cavalier with their money. Quite a few of them do care if they lose deposits, and I think Aman needed to focus the mind a bit more as some guests definitely abused the system. At least now, Aman will not suffer from that financially.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:33 pm

Translation of the youtube post!

Originally Posted by paul2
I was directed to this youtube post by an amanperson. Its a news item from Montenegro which has interesting views of Sveti Stefan and (towards the end) scenes from Villa Milocer. I don't speak the language so can't translate the news story but Adrian Zecha seems to be under pressure when interviewed (July 2010) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecddsYsli_w&translated=1
One of my of my friends from Montenegro gave a quick translation!

The hotels services will be available as soon as the last part of the construction period is complete. This news clip explains that the resorts opening date is 5 weeks from the day of that story and that every day or 2, 3 rooms are being opened. The Staff at Aman also politely invited the news network back to the resort in 2 weeks once the square is complete. In the interview with Adrian Zecha an issue with construction on a landmarked item is being investigated. Zecha claims that he had the green light all along and that Aman would never proceed with any work on something they had no permit for. The issue is being worked on with municipal authorities and the resort group. Towards the end of the clip the network goes into pricing details which will soon be available online.( they are on the website now)

Last edited by zigzag; Aug 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm Reason: spelling again
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:15 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Ericka
So I've been noticing more "prepayment" requirements for Aman lately. At Yara, we booked within a month of our stay and needed to pay a two-night's deposit. Now Jena is asking for a two night deposit for a reservation next May. There is also more "official" language around check-in and check-out times, cancellation policies, etc.

I don't remember seeing this kind of language until this last year. Is it happening across all Amans or just specific properties? The reservation process used to feel more casual and done "in good faith" than it does now.
It's to do with the change of ownership ..if more Amanjunkies write in to them perhaps they'll get the drift of the Amanculture. Good thing for us though , Adrian Zecha is still around
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they havent found a buyer yet have they?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:46 am

In Amangalla now. Apparently, Mr. Zecha's son had his wedding reception here just a few days ago.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:58 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Not all Aman guests are cavalier with their money. Quite a few of them do care if they lose deposits, and I think Aman needed to focus the mind a bit more as some guests definitely abused the system. At least now, Aman will not suffer from that financially.

Fully agree with your thoughts vuittons. I am part of these regular Aman guests not swimming in money and taking it as a privilege to stay at such nice places.

Being a modest regular I always prepay my stays by bank transfer to avoid currency exchange losses and Aman thanks me with nice upgrades and extras on my rooms which are never suites but the middle priced ones.

And exactly as a modest guest I am sometimes shocked by the behaviour of the "cavaliers" and their lack of respect.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:36 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Hubertus
In Amangalla now. Apparently, Mr. Zecha's son had his wedding reception here just a few days ago.
Yes, he did over the weekend.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Hubertus
Olivia still there as GM ?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
Do report back from Amanjena. We'll be heading there next year.
August????? You are brave soul.
Yes it was hot Ericka but that doesnt really bother us (we were just happy to get sunshine!)

We booked the 'summer oasis' deal as we wanted to stay 3 nights as we were in Marrakesh for a party in La Mamounia. We stayed in a 'Maison' which at times reminded me of 'Jiwo but MUCH larger with a really great pool.
All meals were included in the summer special. First night we dined at The Moroccan restaurant which was excellent,last night we dined at the Thai which was good for a post party curry! We had lunch by the pool each day which was as casual as we wanted it to be.
We ventured into the Medina early on the evening of the party, but other than that we did no tours (sorry!). We saw a private dinner being set up in the tent in the garden which looked nice.
Service was perfect for our short visit, not a single fault. In my opinion you wont be disappointed with any of the rooms here. The gardens are perfectly kept and the shared pool is really beautiful. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
Fully agree with your thoughts vuittons. I am part of these regular Aman guests not swimming in money and taking it as a privilege to stay at such nice places.

Being a modest regular I always prepay my stays by bank transfer to avoid currency exchange losses and Aman thanks me with nice upgrades and extras on my rooms which are never suites but the middle priced ones.

And exactly as a modest guest I am sometimes shocked by the behaviour of the "cavaliers" and their lack of respect.
You prepay to avoid currency exchange losses?? Seems kind of silly to me as there are many credit cards that offer zero currency conversion fees as well as cash back. Furthermore, Id assume the loss of interest would offset any currency exchange losses.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:35 am

Aman's strongest competition - the alternatives

I'm in a peripheral area of the global travel industry but notice recently many people are losing interest in what Amans have had to offer and what was surely for a period trend-setting. But now there are so many similar properties with similar styles and presentations. And Aman seems to be sliding - i.e. Amantaka in Luang Prabang, where I am told by people who work there there are very few repeats and the evaluation is luke warm. The alterntaives there would be some of the smaller but utlra elegant private inns along the banks of the Mekong in the suburbs, or the resort on the hill (forgot name).

I'm really curious to hear from former "Amanettes" where their interest goes these days with so many enticing alternatives to Aman choices. Where else is there on Bali or Java, for examle? Thailand?? Where are today's emerging top resorts?

Last edited by chamade; Aug 14, 2010 at 1:36 am Reason: old age?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ngfan
Olivia still there as GM ?
She is. Very charming person.
In Amanwella now. I admit that I was curious to see this place which, based on more than one report I have read, had the reputation of being the black sheep among Amanresorts. On the contrary, to me it does not seem to be below the level of other properties I have stayed in (this is my Aman no. 11). The location and beach are spectacular. I love my suite (and, given that the resort is fully booked tonight, and I made my reservation about 1 week ago, I had no upgrade at all). The service is swift and kind. F&B excellent so far. Pietro Addis is the GM and to me he's doing a great job.

I am quite surprised to read the negative comments about Amantaka. Of course in Luang Prabang there are nice cosy properties on the riverside. But it is like comparing Amankila to one of the thousands "coconut villas" that litter Seminyak. Amantaka is grand (and I am obviously not talking about size). It has certainly the best ratio per host with respect to common areas, staff and facilities compared to any other properties in the city. It is a landmark from an architectural standpoint and it is not located in a slum. To me it's a blessing that Aman still focuses on destinations which have an added value in terms of culture and historical background. And, based on my experience, still nobody can make you taste the authentic flavour of a country with the plus of all the comforts like Aman does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.