Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Closed Thread

Old Jul 22, 10, 9:19 am

Galle

Originally Posted by ngfan View Post
Well, it was my first Aman and liked it very much. Great design, excellent food, beautiful spa and a fabulous atmo on the verandah during dinner. Amantaka is a copy of sorts...but knowing your perception of Amanresorts in general, Amantaka as located in a semi-slum and Luang Prabang as touristy I don't think you will ever enjoy Amangalla and Galle for the same reasons...and room rates have been the lowest of all Amans for years since the tsunami. Better stay away.
Thank you for the update.

I thoroughly enjoyed Galle and the New Oriental during my first two visits to that area quite some time ago, as I said well before Aman arrived and even before Regent's half hearted attempt to manage the (then) splendid Galle Face Hotel in Colombo, also a favorite.

Do you mean to say Galle is now like Luang Prabang - it exists for tourists? That would be sad. I loved swimming in the ocean at Galle back then and even found somewhere some old Dutch coins. There were very, very few tourists then. And the go-for-broke backpackers stuck to Hikkaduwa, luckily.
Old Jul 22, 10, 9:49 pm

New Room/Suites Prices Aman Sveti Stefan

New room/suites and prices from July 2010 for Aman Sveti Stefan are now on the website. No new pictures yet but there is hope that the resort is getting closer to being complete. Does anyone know if more dinning options will be available this summer?

Last edited by zigzag; Jul 22, 10 at 9:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 23, 10, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
New room/suites and prices from July 2010 for Aman Sveti Stefan are now on the website. No new pictures yet but there is hope that the resort is getting closer to being complete. Does anyone know if more dinning options will be available this summer?
I hear that another restaurant will be open by September.
Old Jul 26, 10, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
I hear that another restaurant will be open by September.
Hopefully! They are very slow to confirm reservations for some of the suites at Sveti Stefan (phase 2). We stayed at Villa Milocer previously and loved it and really want to go back soon and stay on the island.

Amanfayun was fantastic, loved its sense of place,very aman. We stayed in a Camphor village villa which was wonderful and spacious. I loved the village feel to the place. It had that 'new aman' feel about it with staff a little apprehensive but caring. I dont think your choice of suite is particularly important here (a bit like amanjiwo), its all about the place.
Old Jul 31, 10, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

DLF denies sale to Banyan Tree!

From The Straits Times :

"The Financial Express newspaper reported earlier on Monday that Banyan Tree was in advanced talks with India's biggest real estate developer by sales to buy a controlling stake in Amanresorts for US$350 million (S$481.7 million)."

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_555285.html

It never crossed my mind that BT was a possible buyer. I won't be able to sleep now,well not until Amanjena next week at least!
Old Jul 31, 10, 6:19 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by paul2 View Post
It never crossed my mind that BT was a possible buyer. I won't be able to sleep now,well not until Amanjena next week at least!
Do report back from Amanjena. We'll be heading there next year.
August????? You are brave soul.
Old Aug 1, 10, 6:48 am

From The Straits Times :

"The Financial Express newspaper reported earlier on Monday that Banyan Tree was in advanced talks with India's biggest real estate developer by sales to buy a controlling stake in Amanresorts for US$350 million (S$481.7 million)."

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_555285.html

Aggggghhh! This would be a disaster! Four-star BT? No way.
Old Aug 1, 10, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Vuittons for the BT 4 star reference,
I agree. You are so brave. I fear suggesting certain hotels/chains are not so good as the backlash at times is not worth it.
Old Aug 2, 10, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1: Bad news. And why are you disgracing all those wonderful 4* hotels around the world by comparing them to BT
Old Aug 2, 10, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
+1: Bad news. And why are you disgracing all those wonderful 4* hotels around the world by comparing them to BT
+2, but at least it's not Ritz or Fairmont!
Old Aug 2, 10, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aesla11 View Post
+2, but at least it's not Ritz or Fairmont!
Agree completely about Ritz. Fairmont on the Gold Levels is actually pretty good.
Old Aug 3, 10, 2:05 pm

Hopefully! They are very slow to confirm reservations for some of the suites at Sveti Stefan (phase 2). We stayed at Villa Milocer previously and loved it and really want to go back soon and stay on the island.

Amanfayun was fantastic, loved its sense of place,very aman. We stayed in a Camphor village villa which was wonderful and spacious. I loved the village feel to the place. It had that 'new aman' feel about it with staff a little apprehensive but caring. I dont think your choice of suite is particularly important here (a bit like amanjiwo), its all about the place.
My coworker just stayed at Villa Milocer-Aman and was giving out rare reviews.
Old Aug 7, 10, 2:01 pm

@ Aman New Delhi. Spacious room, so to say...
Old Aug 7, 10, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Sveti Stefan/ Adrian under pressure

I was directed to this youtube post by an amanperson. Its a news item from Montenegro which has interesting views of Sveti Stefan and (towards the end) scenes from Villa Milocer. I don't speak the language so can't translate the news story but Adrian Zecha seems to be under pressure when interviewed (July 2010) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecddsYsli_w&translated=1
Old Aug 7, 10, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was directed to this youtube post by an amanperson. Its a news item from Montenegro which has interesting views of Sveti Stefan and (towards the end) scenes from Villa Milocer. I don't speak the language so can't translate the news story but Adrian Zecha seems to be under pressure when interviewed (July 2010) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecddsYsli_w&translated=1
some related that i could find >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12057603-post347.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12057416-post346.html

Search this Thread