Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by paul2
The first picture that loads when you currently open the Amanresorts website is a really good aerial view of Amankila. You can identify specific suites. To the left of the tiered main pool,for example, is the Amankila suite. You can clearly see the huge terrace with a pool and a bale each side of it. One bedroom suite is off to the left and another just above the pool (my favourite suite there).
Not sure which one is the Indrakila suite.
www.amanresorts.com
Do you recall the room number of this one bedroom suite?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aesla11
aesla11 I need to clarify. There are two individual bedroom suites that make up the 'Amankila suite'. They are both one bedroom suites which share the terrace and pool. Although we have travelled as a party of 4 and utilised both bedrooms,we have also stayed at the Amankila suite as a couple and just utilised one bedroom. However, we were of course charged the full daily rate for the Amankila suite.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by paul2
aesla11 I need to clarify. There are two individual bedroom suites that make up the 'Amankila suite'. They are both one bedroom suites which share the terrace and pool. Although we have travelled as a party of 4 and utilised both bedrooms,we have also stayed at the Amankila suite as a couple and just utilised one bedroom. However, we were of course charged the full daily rate for the Amankila suite.

Paul2, I'll be staying in the Amankila suite in September--glad to hear it's your favorite. Minor and unimportant question, but which of the two "rooms" in that suite is the better? Selfishly, I'll want that one, and will put my friends in the other . . .
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Paul2, I'll be staying in the Amankila suite in September--glad to hear it's your favorite. Minor and unimportant question, but which of the two "rooms" in that suite is the better? Selfishly, I'll want that one, and will put my friends in the other . . .
I'm laughing Groombridge as I have done the very same! Its the one above the pool rather than the one off to the left of the picture. It has great uninterupted seaviews from the covered living area outside the bedroom. There might be days you wont want to leave that suite, enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:59 pm

FT: DLF is struggling to find buyers willing to pay its asking price

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3fdc2cc2-7...44feabdc0.html
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by aesla11
You don't need a room number - it's The Indrakila Suite.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Wrong way to Beijing?

Just got this SPAM from Aman: NEW DIRECT FLIGHTS .
Cool, except that isn't the direction the flights go. They go the other way. You are in deep trouble if you are on the way to Beijing from Vancouver and see Greenland below ...
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Just got this SPAM from Aman: NEW DIRECT FLIGHTS .
Cool, except that isn't the direction the flights go. They go the other way. You are in deep trouble if you are on the way to Beijing from Vancouver and see Greenland below ...
I got this one, too. So funny!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: thy miles and smiles, lufthansa miles and more
Originally Posted by Groombridge
I agree with Paul 2. The one above the pool is the nicer one. I am sure you will really enjoy the suite and your pool and you will not want to leave your suite. I can also recommend you to have a massage and a bbq at the suite, (not necessarily at the same time The butler, if still there, Rahman, was wonderful with the details.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ericka
Thanks for the additional info, Mike. As for the breakfast, this certainly seems more like what we've experienced in the past. But whatever they do is whatever they do. We're not going to quibble over a $10 (or $20? LOL) plate of eggs.
An omelet cost ~$28 pre tax & service charge, as I recall (stayed in March 2010). And it was just an omelet, no sides of potato. Amanyara was the only Aman we unintentionally lost weight at, as all the portions were tiny.

They had a note in the menu saying "continental breakfast was included". Usually in those cases if you order something else, they'll cover up to the same amount of the continental breakfast. No, when we checked out they had a charge of ~$70/day from the hot breakfast food we'd ordered.

Other quibble: the Pellegrino only comes in 1/2 liter bottles, no fulls. We'd go through several at dinner, and they add up at ~$8 each.

Don't miss the screening room, it's really fun. They show a scheduled movie at 9 every night. If you go around 6 or 7 and noone else is there, you can choose whatever you want to watch. The popcorn in the screening room is free, but if you order a soda they're not free.

I felt like Amanyara nickeled and dimed--a great resort, but petty in the F&B. We really liked the Bali Amans and Amanpulo as the food was sooo good and we felt taken care of. Did not get the same feeling at Amanyara.

Last edited by tmft; Jun 23, 2010 at 8:59 am
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:33 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks tmft. All good stuff to know.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13353090-post51.html

aman has now blocked the ability to look at the old pages...

from my post i can only gather this - during tsunami discount @ amanpuri > 2BR from $900 and/or 3BR from $1350.

ive learned from failing @ copy/paste many times. also used to having websites/browsers/etc break links.

found some financial numbers for amanresorts:
2009 - "down 20%"
march 2008 > march 2009 revenue $1.2B net $365MM
march 2007 > march 2008 revenue $1.3B ebitda $793MM net $568MM
march 2006 > march 2007 revenue $315MM ebitda $218MM net $90MM
2000 - revenue $61MM ebitda $30MM (ebitda per room = $75K, vs $4K for FS)
1999 - revenue $50MM editda $15MM

(29% > 44% margins )

and another interesting article http://www.forbes.com/global/2000/03...46a_print.html

they should have bought a villa
Oh, such nostalgia to read that old Forbes article, and then of course, Adrian went on to open Mahakua - Hacienda de San Antonio, and then went on to buy out Colony, whilst Clement Vaturi (who had also, perhaps unwisely, invested in le Richemond) gradually disappeared entirely from the hotel investment scene.

I wonder, though, if this scenario would be possible now. So much has changed, but then, Adrian is known to be very good at pulling out white rabbits from hats that you did not even suspect existed....
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:19 am

Amandari News

For 'Dari fans who haven't heard: I have an e-note from Liv Gussing saying she is leaving Amandari. She is marrying and moving, with the kids, to London.

I haven't heard who the new GM will be.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:47 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
For 'Dari fans who haven't heard: I have an e-note from Liv Gussing saying she is leaving Amandari. She is marrying and moving, with the kids, to London.

I haven't heard who the new GM will be.
Yes, pleased to have met up with Liv again last month & to bid farewell.

Sally's returned as GM, Amandari , after assisting with Amanfayun.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 10, 2010 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pinpin
I agree with Paul 2. The one above the pool is the nicer one.
We felt differently - we much preferred the privacy of the room to the left (north)....to each his own of course.

My parents were in the Indrakila suite and, although very nice, we *much* preferred the Amankila suite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.