Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Old Jun 18, 10, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Thats interesting opxzaw, heres another similiar report : http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...3&sec=business
Vuittonsofstyle, Khazanah is the investment holding of the government of Malaysia. It would be very interesting if you are right about FS London.
Khazanah has been linked to Aman before with the proposed Amanresort in Iskandor,Johor.
Old Jun 19, 10, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by paul2 View Post
Thats interesting opxzaw, heres another similiar report : http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...3&sec=business
Vuittonsofstyle, Khazanah is the investment holding of the government of Malaysia. It would be very interesting if you are right about FS London.
Khazanah has been linked to Aman before with the proposed Amanresort in Iskandor,Johor.
Yes, I know. I also think they were the ones who built Four Seasons Langkawi before it was sold to Prince Alwaleed. As owners, I have not heard great things.

I also wonder if it is Khazanah who own Carcosa Seri Negara - I know the Malaysian Gov used to own it and barely invested during Aman's tenure. Hopefully they have changed their attitude since then.
Old Jun 19, 10, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

presumably this is still the stuff of rumors. (note reuters source = indian media as usual.)

i think i prefer the rumor about abu dhabi considering vuittonsofstyle's reports. or even singapore.
Old Jun 19, 10, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, VX Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Back to Amanyara --
If we opt for the private "Ocean Cove" dinner one night ($500) we will either have to miss dinner altogether in the main restaurant or the BBQ dinner at the Beach Club due to our short stay. We're not sure it's worth it.

We've always done these private dinners in the past, but....

Thoughts? What are the settings like for the Restaurant and the Beach Club?
Our favorite dinner was actually the night we staked out one of the bales to watch the sunset. One of the pool staff brought us a dinner menu and we ordered off of it. It was great to watch the sunset, lounging about!

We liked the BBQ at the beach club.

The restaurant is good, but nothing spectacular.

Amanyara's food prices are shockingly high, especially compared to Bali/Amanpulo. For example, "Scallop" at lunch is $15. And you get exactly one (1) small sized scallop, with no sides. They were also very stingy about the Amex FHR breakfast--all of our juices/coffee were free, but anything hot (omelet, french toast, etc) had a charge as the AmexFHR only covered "cold" items. A bizarre distinction-at our trip to Amangani they comped everything we ordered for breakfast.
Old Jun 19, 10, 4:29 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by tmft View Post
They were also very stingy about the Amex FHR breakfast--all of our juices/coffee were free, but anything hot (omelet, french toast, etc) had a charge as the AmexFHR only covered "cold" items. A bizarre distinction-at our trip to Amangani they comped everything we ordered for breakfast.
I am prepared for prices being high. But this breakfast thing.... I suppose I should watch for this as it relates to our current Virtuoso rate. Our stays at 12 Amans have always included breakfast and no one has ever questioned what we ordered or charged additional for hot foods....even when the inclusion was labeled continental. This is one of the reasons we love Amans. No nickel and diming. No splitting hairs.
Old Jun 19, 10, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can always have TA get things in writing when there are potential questions

(or yourself, when youre a regular etc)
Old Jun 19, 10, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Amankila

The first picture that loads when you currently open the Amanresorts website is a really good aerial view of Amankila. You can identify specific suites. To the left of the tiered main pool,for example, is the Amankila suite. You can clearly see the huge terrace with a pool and a bale each side of it. One bedroom suite is off to the left and another just above the pool (my favourite suite there).
Not sure which one is the Indrakila suite.
www.amanresorts.com
Old Jun 19, 10, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks paul2 ^

http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedI...p_bali4_hp.jpg

indrakila is visible at very top

kilasari would be hidden from that perspective

far right is beach club pool at sea level i presume
Old Jun 20, 10, 2:45 pm

I noticed that Amankila picture, too. Really lovely. Indrakila, from this perspective, would be above and to the right of the lobby/restaurant buildings.
Old Jun 20, 10, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so thats a pool villa i was referring to? so the angle hides the wall.
Old Jun 20, 10, 5:00 pm

Kage - not sure what you mean by "very top" of picture - who knows, maybe we are talking about the same building.

By the way, I looked at our virtuoso reservation for yara and it indicates continental breakfast, which in the US is usually pastries and fruit. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that.
Old Jun 20, 10, 7:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Kage - not sure what you mean by "very top" of picture - who knows, maybe we are talking about the same building.

By the way, I looked at our virtuoso reservation for yara and it indicates continental breakfast, which in the US is usually pastries and fruit. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that.
This is from my Amanyara Virtuoso reservation in Jun'08:

Continental Breakfast Daily - 1 complimentary lunch for two
Room upgrade upon arrival based upon availability
Complimentary Airport Transfers roundtrip

I don't remember the breakfast being American-style continental. I'm pretty sure we ordered eggs/ham et. al. and weren't charged.

PS -- We didn't get an upgrade. The airport transfer from the airport to the hotel on arrival was soundly botched. We had to chase down the driver in the bar. He couldn't be bothered to wait for us to get off the plane. You will find a big difference at Amanyara between the employees from the Philippines and the locals.

Also, the wine at this resort is atrocious. One of the owners of Amanyara apparently owns a vineyard (Orion?), and forces his wines on hotel guests. You might try to smuggle some 2buckChuck into the resort. This would improve the wine list significantly. Altogether a great resort though ...

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jun 21, 10 at 9:42 am
Old Jun 20, 10, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
This is from my Amanyara Virtuoso reservation in Jun'08:

Continental Breakfast Daily - 1 complimentary lunch for two
Room upgrade upon arrival based upon availability
Complimentary Airport Transfers roundtrip

You will find a big difference at Amanyara between the employees imported from the Philippines and the locals.

IMPORTED ? .... Aman exports labour now ? ..... i suppose the sommelier from new york who served me at aman summer palace was IMPORTED from the USA too.
Old Jun 21, 10, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
I don't remember the breakfast being American-style continental. I'm pretty sure we ordered eggs/ham et. al. and weren't charged.
Thanks for the additional info, Mike. As for the breakfast, this certainly seems more like what we've experienced in the past. But whatever they do is whatever they do. We're not going to quibble over a $10 (or $20? LOL) plate of eggs.
Old Jun 21, 10, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this i what i noticed (i cropped straight across)
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5279/93533311.jpg

Search this Thread
Search Engine: